Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milwaukee 8 Build... Experienced input?!?

Old 09-25-2016, 08:23 PM
PadreJuan
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milwaukee 8 Build... Experienced input?!?

Looking for feedback from a bit broader audiance than just my local dealer mechanics... Since this is a new motor, builds are naturally new territory for many.
2017 Street Glide 107 doing SE Stage 3 with; SE ProStreet Tuner, SE 10mm Plug Wires, SE Perf. High Comp. Plugs, Thunderheader 2:1 Exhaust.
AND I'm leaning toward doing the TimkenBearing and also the SE 58mm EFI Throttle Body (re-using stock injectors for now) and the SE Heavy Breather Air Cleaner.
Mechanic agrees on both upgrades (TB & 58mm) but no one seems to have any concrete performance numbers / expectations with such a setup other than the factory Stage 3 numbers.
Anyone out there done such a build? 58mm help any? Any feedback? Pros Cons?

PadreJuan

Old 09-25-2016, 08:29 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

I think you would do well by looking at what Fuel Moto is doing.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:43 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PadreJuan
Looking for feedback from a bit broader audiance than just my local dealer mechanics... Since this is a new motor, builds are naturally new territory for many.
2017 Street Glide 107 doing SE Stage 3 with; SE ProStreet Tuner, SE 10mm Plug Wires, SE Perf. High Comp. Plugs, Thunderheader 2:1 Exhaust.
AND I'm leaning toward doing the TimkenBearing and also the SE 58mm EFI Throttle Body (re-using stock injectors for now) and the SE Heavy Breather Air Cleaner.
Mechanic agrees on both upgrades (TB & 58mm) but no one seems to have any concrete performance numbers / expectations with such a setup other than the factory Stage 3 numbers.

PadreJuan
Confused by a few of the things, as i am doing a stage 3 right now. I am not aware of thunder header having an exhaust that fits this new motor, and as far as the timken bearing or the SEperf. High comp, is any of that necessary as again its a new motor, with different unknown parts. I would recommend doing a dyno with this kind of build, not just the harley tuner, but you also realize you throw out the new warranty, the moment you do most of this except the stage 3. I don't think anyone would know any numbers as no one is to this point yet because there is no exhaust yet. I second the other comment that i would look towards fuel moto as they are posting the most information on this stuff right now. just my 2 cents, good luck and keep us updated.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:20 AM
PadreJuan
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CLARIFICATION: I failed to specify (sorry), the entire build is being done at time of bike delivery (patiently waiting on parts availability). My dealer has assured me that they will warranty the entire build (including the 58mm upgrade) so that's why I'm going the SE parts route (rather than Fuel Moto or the others).
I learned that the Plug Wire & SE Perf Plugs (High Compression) are "necessary" on another build (2014 SG 103" w/ Stage 4 and they proved to add on dyno numbers - And mechanic agrees that they will prove similar on this motor build.
As for the ThinderHeader exhaust, it's supposed to be available by end of October. (?!? Will see)
PadreJusn

Old 09-26-2016, 09:31 AM
jgrohio
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

CLARIFICATION: I failed to specify (sorry), the entire build is being done at time of bike delivery (patiently waiting on parts availability). My dealer has assured me that they will warranty the entire build (including the 58mm upgrade) so that's why I'm going the SE parts route (rather than Fuel Moto or the others).
I learned that the Plug Wire & SE Perf Plugs (High Compression) are "necessary" on another build (2014 SG 103" w/ Stage 4 and they proved to add on dyno numbers - And mechanic agrees that they will prove similar on this motor build.
As for the ThinderHeader exhaust, it's supposed to be available by end of October. (?!? Will see)
PadreJusn
If you use the Thunder Header I dont think your dealer can tell you it will not void warranty, he can promise that he as a dealer wont use it against you, but that doesnt mean it hasnt voided the warranty say you are forced to another dealer while on the road. JMHO

Old 09-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,411 Likes on 1,566 Posts

PadreJuan
Few things are wrong in your list of parts

10mm wires are a waste of money on a M8, not needed on dual plug heads
SE High Comp. Plugs again a waste of money on a M8
There is No 58 mm throttle body for the M8, stock is 55

Here are a few dyno runs on just the stage III build with
Street Cannon 4.5" Slip-on mufflers
High Flow AC
Stage III kit
Tuned with Mastertune2

Attached Thumbnails Milwaukee 8 Build... Experienced input?!?-2017-stage-iii-107-to-114.png  
Old 09-26-2016, 01:22 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole

High Flow AC
Stage III kit
Tuned with Mastertune2
You beat me to it, I was about to share the same info about wires/plugs and TB. If his dealer is telling him they are waiting on these parts, he will be waiting a very long time for this build to happen.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:35 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole

High Flow AC
Stage III kit
Tuned with Mastertune2
Man that curve looks really flat (really good). I am no expert, isn't it unusual for an HD motor to have such a flat curve?

Old 09-30-2016, 06:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

After 3,500 miles I came up with one disappointment. In all the literature, press releases and MC magazine articles that I have read said the oil in the breather was resolved with routing crankcase to the oil pan around the trans.

My SE breather was turning black with road dust and crushed bugs. When I took it off the butterfly valve, intake, intake backing plate and filter were dripping with oil. The vent tubes coming off of the hollow securing bolts were dripping frothing oil.

Crap! Same old same old crap.

Just another breather to reroute the blow by. I have an idea already to mod it.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:52 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
After 3,500 miles I came up with one disappointment. In all the literature, press releases and MC magazine articles that I have read said the oil in the breather was resolved with routing crankcase to the oil pan around the trans.

My SE breather was turning black with road dust and crushed bugs. When I took it off the butterfly valve, intake, intake backing plate and filter were dripping with oil. The vent tubes coming off of the hollow securing bolts were dripping frothing oil.

Crap! Same old same old crap.

Just another breather to reroute the blow by. I have an idea already to mod it.
Not good. I am about to put a SE breather on my bike. Will bring this up with my tech. Not going to install unless I understand what is going on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Milwaukee 8 Build... Experienced input?!?