Milwakee 8 stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 06:27 PM
Klong4HD
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Ecm

Originally Posted by redrocket465
Glad you're bike is fixed. They picked mine up at the house and took it in to look at it after my oil light came on... They just emailed me to tell me they had to order a new oil pump sms they spoke with the mother ship and took me the stalling problem is an ECM correction that they are aware of... so hopefully ill be good by next week... Thanks for keeping us updated..
I always suspected it had something to do with the ECM, but since the fix isn't out yet for the ECM and my bike was fixed, I'm not sure what to think about that. And you are welcome for the update. We are all sharing information and that's what this is about.

Since my bike only started stalling after 2,000 miles (it was perfect the first 2,000 miles) it makes sense to me that something "broke". If the ECM had less then optimal programming then the issue would not appear after 2,000 miles and now go away before they did anything to the ECM. I'm just postulating here but it's an educated guess from someone that really doesn't know a whole lot about fixing a motorcycle lol

Old 04-27-2017, 06:36 PM
Klong4HD
Cruiser
Default Clutch switch

Originally Posted by Klong4HD
I always suspected it had something to do with the ECM, but since the fix isn't out yet for the ECM and my bike was fixed, I'm not sure what to think about that. And you are welcome for the update. We are all sharing information and that's what this is about.

Since my bike only started stalling after 2,000 miles (it was perfect the first 2,000 miles) it makes sense to me that something "broke". If the ECM had less then optimal programming then the issue would not appear after 2,000 miles and now go away before they did anything to the ECM. I'm just postulating here but it's an educated guess from someone that really doesn't know a whole lot about fixing a motorcycle lol
But it does make sense that the clutch wasn't sending the right signals to the ECM that it was either engaged or disengaged, and that would cause the module to send the incorrect signals about the fuel mixture etc to keep the bike running. If this sounds completely retarded then it might be because I am no gear head lol. All I know is that it doesn't make sense to me that the issue can appear out of no where and then disappear, and then say that has something to do with the ECM when the dealership did not reflash it.

Last edited by Klong4HD; 04-29-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:43 PM
redrocket465
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Got a call from dealer asking if it was ok to put adjustable push rods in while replacing the oil pump.... free of charge.... supposedly will shorten their rebuild time Amy thoughts..??

Old 04-29-2017, 05:03 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

They are just saving their labor of taking valve covers and tank off. Not a lot of difference in the adjustable and stock rods. Surprised they ask.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:18 AM
redrocket465
Cruiser

I'm good as long as I get my bike back fast. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:25 PM
redrocket465
Cruiser

One week later bike is back with new oil pump and new clutch switch. Running like a champ.. now I need that harley tuner and I'm good to go...

Old 05-08-2017, 08:37 PM
Klong4HD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by redrocket465
One week later bike is back with new oil pump and new clutch switch. Running like a champ.. now I need that harley tuner and I'm good to go...
That's awesome! Let the fun begin!

Old 05-15-2017, 06:58 PM
flashracer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hopefully my stalling/dying out and not starting in gear issue will be fixed with clutch switch replacement. This is just a couple of issues I am having. There are more like pinging/detonation when I open the throttle.vibration/ buzzing that I hear around 50. This is my 4th Harley and the only one with issues.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:39 PM
bkgabby
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flashracer
Hopefully my stalling/dying out and not starting in gear issue will be fixed with clutch switch replacement. This is just a couple of issues I am having. There are more like pinging/detonation when I open the throttle.vibration/ buzzing that I hear around 50. This is my 4th Harley and the only one with issues.
Any more issues with the stalling? I went on quick 1100 mile trip and mine stalled and shut down 6 different times, 2 of those times it was hard to start back up. I felt like I was messing with keeping the RPMs up at every stop because of the RPM drop when I pulled the clutch in while stopping. I am taking it in to the dealer this week for the problem. Is there any info I could pass along to the shop from your ordeals?

Old 05-28-2017, 09:24 AM
flashracer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bkgabby
Any more issues with the stalling? I went on quick 1100 mile trip and mine stalled and shut down 6 different times, 2 of those times it was hard to start back up. I felt like I was messing with keeping the RPMs up at every stop because of the RPM drop when I pulled the clutch in while stopping. I am taking it in to the dealer this week for the problem. Is there any info I could pass along to the shop from your ordeals?
My stalling and dying and not starting in gear was fixed by the clutch switch replacement. I didn't get a receipt and service rep didn't know if ecm calibration was performed. I had to get general manager to ride it to figure out where the buzzing was coming from. It was the gas tank cover which I haven't brought back in for repair. So clutch switch made a difference so far and no dying of the engine but engine sometimes fluctuates when stopped.

Quick Reply: Milwakee 8 stalling