Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milwakee 8 stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Nonskid
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My idle bounces around a bit after its heated up but it hasn't stalled on me. At least not yet. I'm just over the 500 mile mark too. It will drop probably under 800 or even 750 and bounce back up. I've tried turning off the idle management but it doesn't make any difference. It hasn't got hot enough for it to kick in yet.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Klong4HD
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Blip it

Originally Posted by Nonskid
My idle bounces around a bit after its heated up but it hasn't stalled on me. At least not yet. I'm just over the 500 mile mark too. It will drop probably under 800 or even 750 and bounce back up. I've tried turning off the idle management but it doesn't make any difference. It hasn't got hot enough for it to kick in yet.
If you are blipping your engine when you come to a stop then that could be a good reason why it doesn't stall. I can prevent my bike from stalling, I think, if I do that but, I shouldn't have to do that.

HD is going to send a tech to my dealership in maybe three weeks and they are going to look at the bike. In the meantime I'm either without a bike or I can choose to pick it up and ride it and hope it doesn't stall in a dangerous situation and possibly kill me at worse.

It's not a great situation because I can see this dragging on for 90 days when I should be out riding my brand new bike.

Last edited by Klong4HD; 04-12-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Nonskid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Klong4HD
If you are blipping your engine when you come to a stop then that could be a good reason why it doesn't stall. I can prevent my bike from stalling, I think, if I do that but, I shouldn't have to do that.

HD is going to send a tech to my dealership in maybe three weeks and they are going to look at the bike. In the meantime I'm either without a bike or I can choose to pick it up and ride it and hope it doesn't stall in a dangerous situation and possibly kill me at worse.

It's not a great situation because I can see this dragging on for 90 days when I should be out riding my brand new bike.
I don't blip the throttle unless I'm downshifting. You're right though. Your situation is in no way ideal. I'm sure the tech will find the problem. It will get solved, hopefully sooner rather than later. Keep us updated.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:15 PM
Klong4HD
Cruiser
Default Blipping

Originally Posted by Nonskid
I don't blip the throttle unless I'm downshifting. You're right though. Your situation is in no way ideal. I'm sure the tech will find the problem. It will get solved, hopefully sooner rather than later. Keep us updated.
That's what I was saying .... If you blip it while downshifting then that's a good reason why you haven't experienced it stalling. Sorry I wasn't clearer about that. I can usually manage to prevent my bike from stalling if I do that, but if you watched my video, sometimes it just dies suddenly even at a higher RPM, where I probably wouldn't be blipping it anyway. Yeah my situation sucks because I ride the $@&# out of my bikes. Put 1,000 miles on it the first week I had it and it's was colder / winter weather.

Last edited by Klong4HD; 04-12-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:42 PM
rodhotter
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

just like my carb'd 06 sporty, one day its great + next time as weather changes it coughs + stalls. i know its a carb issue but FI is supposed to cure that, if properly calibrated of course. new model bugs are to be expected but if its your only ride + the dealer keeps it for an extended time i would think a loaner should be provided!!!

Old 04-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Nonskid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rodhotter
just like my carb'd 06 sporty, one day its great + next time as weather changes it coughs + stalls. i know its a carb issue but FI is supposed to cure that, if properly calibrated of course. new model bugs are to be expected but if its your only ride + the dealer keeps it for an extended time i would think a loaner should be provided!!!
Agreed.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Klong4HD
Cruiser
Default Working it

Originally Posted by rodhotter
I'm working on a loaner.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Island Quest
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Why 3 weeks ?

Originally Posted by Klong4HD

HD is going to send a tech to my dealership in maybe three weeks and they are going to look at the bike. In the meantime I'm either without a bike or I can choose oto pick it up and ride it and hope it doesn't stall in a dangerous situation and possibly kill me at worse.

First let me say I'm sorry for your situation..I know it's a bitch to spend the kind of money we do on a Bike and not have it right..been there myself for sure.
2nd..why the $&@! Should you have to wait 3 weeks for some tech to come out..in this day and age can't this be solved over the phone..Skype..internet..ect
its no wonder Harley has a hard time attracting people..In my opinion you should be given top priority and they should be doing everything they can to get you happy and back on the road today !...not in 3 weeks..try being late with your Bike payment for 3 weeks..
Sorry..I'm probably a throwback ..but customer service and taking care of someone who has supported your Business by buying your product should be #1
I'm sure everything will be ok but it just pisses me off the way things are done these days..Old School = the best School

Old 04-12-2017, 08:23 PM
Klong4HD
Cruiser
Default I don't disagree

Originally Posted by Island Quest
First let me say I'm sorry for your situation..I know it's a bitch to spend the kind of money we do on a Bike and not have it right..been there myself for sure.
2nd..why the $&@! Should you have to wait 3 weeks for some tech to come out..in this day and age can't this be solved over the phone..Skype..internet..ect
its no wonder Harley has a hard time attracting people..In my opinion you should be given top priority and they should be doing everything they can to get you happy and back on the road today !...not in 3 weeks..try being late with your Bike payment for 3 weeks..
Sorry..I'm probably a throwback ..but customer service and taking care of someone who has supported your Business by buying your product should be #1
I'm sure everything will be ok but it just pisses me off the way things are done these days..Old School = the best School
You aren't going to hear me disagree with that. They said they only have so many of these traveling Tech's. I think this isn't a "known issue" ... in terms of them knowing what they can do to fix it. It might require a bunch of trial and error replacing things? I'm working through the situation now so I'm not sure how this will play out, but I'm keeping every option open to me. I'm putting the pressure on people without be a total $#&@ because in the end people tend to help other people out when they tread that line between being an *** and being insistent. You will hear people say "I would demand a loaner bike" but you really can't force them to do anything right now except for making several attempts to fix it (by law ... Before I can attempt to lemon law it). I would rather have their cooperation then to have them be defensive. That's not to say I'm letting them off the hook. I'm working it hard brother.

Last edited by Klong4HD; 04-12-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Will it start in gear with the clutch pulled in after the stall? My friend with a 17 Limited just like mine had this happen and the dealer replaced a switch in the clutch master cylinder to fix it. He was explaining to me that it stalled and would not start in gear after the stall. I told him mine stalled one time but I did not really notice if mine would start in gear or not because I never tried it. Curiousity got the best of me so I tried to start it in gear and it would not. His bike was parked right next to mine and his started and mine did not. I will send mine in to get the switch replaced. The dealer told him they have had this problem quite often. Worth checking into

Quick Reply: Milwakee 8 stalling