Sponsored by:

touch up kit velocity red

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:20 AM
jdh10769
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default touch up kit velocity red

hi everyone, I picked up a velocity red touch up kit for my 17 sgs. it comes with 2 colors. velocity red and billet silver. I have never done this. the dealer was no help at all with instructions and actually told me to search you tube. ive seen kits that come with the color and a clear top coat which makes sense. I am assuming I should apply the red first then the silver but you know what happens when you assume. any help would be appreciated, anyone use or purchase this kit before? thanks

Old 10-04-2017, 09:34 AM
Clutched
Tourer
Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a Merlot SG You got Red hot Sunglo An Black,I put the Black First Let it Dry Than I put the red hot sunglow on top matched pretty good.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:36 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Yep, the silver is the base coat

Old 10-04-2017, 11:11 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

I have the same color.Being a tri-coat paint,you have to apply silver metallic base coat very thinly,then the Red and over top of these two is the clear.The trick here is apply touch up sparingly.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:16 AM
jdh10769
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

kit didn't come with clear coat. does Harley have an all purpose clear forthese kits?

Old 10-04-2017, 01:10 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Colorrite.com has clear in 1/2 oz bottles.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:02 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Following. I have not needed a touch up paint yet, but I know I will sooner or later. Use very sparingly is all I know or it leaves a blotch

Old 10-06-2017, 09:17 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts
Default Work In Progress

Here are my touch ups in process. Sorry I don't have complete pics.

Tank chip from I-40. No vehicles to be seen for a mile or better in front of me. Big black rock coming twords me on the concrete. WTF!!!! Stay down you hunk of crap. Dash for the right shoulder and it stays with me, leaps up in the air over the windshield, hits me in the chest, drops to the tank,,,, PISSED!

Went to HD dealer. $38 for blue kit, $38 for silver kit and the clear coat is junk in both kits. But color match is great.

Trimmer string for reference.

FU FU Blue and Silver Paint job. Notice dark primer, Silver, Blue then Clear.

Cleaned area up with dawn soap and water. Then used 95% Isopropyl Alcohol. Then used 2k grit paper dry to key the chip up and soften the edges of the chip.

First coat of paint.

Second coat of paint.

Third coat of paint with first coat of clear.

Second coat of clear.

And this is where the problems begin. The clear coat always pops off. Does not matter if I use straight clear coat or mix with the paint. Use same basic prep as started with or don't touch it. Can get it wet/soap sanded down with 2k then 3k grit paper and polished out. Or not touch it. But in one to two weeks the clear pops off. The color match and how the flake lays out is great! But the clear is complete junk. So this weekend I hope to just build up the base coat, let it cure then level it out and polish it up.

Here is the left bag that got abused by a grandsons BMX bike and front wheel peg. I was going to have a shop that restores antique cars fix this. BUT it's not as bad as it looks.

I compounded and polished this out. The top scuff is gone. The edge of the bag lid is down to the abs and will need some basic trickery. But will come out real good with no clear coat needed. Just a build and profile. The deep scratch in the clear is a issue. It's only down to the paint in one very small area. But even after cleaning it up it looks like the grand canyon polished out on the side of the bag. And knowing the clear is junk in both my HD touch paint kits I'm going to have to find a more aggressive/acidic clear coat. With a aggressive clear i could lay the clear into the grand canyon, block it and polish it out and it would be completely gone.

The base paint is a great match! Near to the best I've ever seen. The flake even flips right. I have painted and detailed everything from thimble sized art work to airplanes. And I have never seen a manufactures touch up paint match as good as HD's when used right. But the clear coat sucks bad!

The following users liked this post:
jdh10769 (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 08:35 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 428 Likes on 286 Posts
Default touch up

Originally Posted by jdh10769
hi everyone, I picked up a velocity red touch up kit for my 17 sgs. it comes with 2 colors. velocity red and billet silver. I have never done this. the dealer was no help at all with instructions and actually told me to search you tube. ive seen kits that come with the color and a clear top coat which makes sense. I am assuming I should apply the red first then the silver but you know what happens when you assume. any help would be appreciated, anyone use or purchase this kit before? thanks
the red is the top coat I have seen the amber whisky applied and it has a clear coat it surprised me also with the silver as the base , just be neat and build up the silver in as many coats as required to almost get it close to flush before applying the red that's some expensive paint