Sponsored by:

Broken Exhaust Stud

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 06:51 AM
sixfour
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken Exhaust Stud

Ran into a bit of a setback hoping someone could give me some information or guidance on my issue...

Just recently removed my header on my 2017 Road Glide Ultra to install new header, got new header on bike and doing final torque on exhaust header studs. Exhaust stud snapped off and broke flush with the Jug..

Anyone have any experience with this happening, how to remove properly and safely? Bikes under warranty also with extended, does a guy try to take to dealer to try under warranty ? Fix personally? Any suggestions or help would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Broken Exhaust Stud-cd471c17-a6ca-4b5f-8ba5-d941d921977e.jpg  

Last edited by sixfour; 01-02-2018 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

REAL pia........left mine broken for the last few years as I tried drilling and EZOUT.......EZOUT snapped flush..........recently took head off to take it to a machine shop.

CAREFUL of EZOUTS.......they are brittle!!

DOUBT you will get a shop to do it under warranty.......all your fault!!
Good luck!!

Old 01-02-2018, 07:27 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Just take it in to Harley. Sure there are ton of tools you could use to get it out but they are sometimes expensive and when used improperly, can just make it worse...

Old 01-02-2018, 08:20 AM
Hd589
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sixfour
Ran into a bit of a setback hoping someone could give me some information or guidance on my issue...

Just recently removed my header on my 2017 Road Glide Ultra to install new header, got new header on bike and doing final torque on exhaust header studs. Exhaust stud snapped off and broke flush with the Jug..

Anyone have any experience with this happening, how to remove properly and safely? Bikes under warranty also with extended, does a guy try to take to dealer to try under warranty ? Fix personally? Any suggestions or help would be awesome! Thanks in advance.
You had a warranty and an extended one....once you installed an aftermarket or catless oem head pipe it was voided on the spot and you didn't even know it.Do not go anywhere near a harley stealer until you get it off and the sticker back on.Of course if it was tuned with anything other then the hd se tuner it won't matter.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:14 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Over tighten call strong in the back weak in the mind, that's what of my friend used to say. I would check your local shops. Ez out works good

Old 01-02-2018, 11:16 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
Over tighten call strong in the back weak in the mind, that's what of my friend used to say. I would check your local shops. Ez out works good
Yeah, that really explains why I have broken one while taking the nuts off of it. They just get brittle and sometimes the nuts seize up on them.

Originally Posted by sixfour

I don't know how much mechanical ability you have, but you have a choice or two.

If the header you were taking off was installed by the dealer or is the stock header, put it back on and take it to the dealer. Tell them you noticed the stud was broken and let them deal with it.

If the header you took off was aftermarket and you have tuned the bike with something other than a SE tuner, then your warranty could be void. You can try the dealer thing, but you might end up paying the bill.

Don't try to remove the stud yourself. This is seldom successful or it you do get it out you end up defacing the head. TAKE IT TO A MACHINE SHOP. I don't know how they do it, but they can get broken studs out without screwing everything up. Talk to them and see if they can do it with the head on the bike. They may want the head removed, so now you're either going to have to have that done or do it yourself. Like I said, I don't know your capabilities so you will have to make that choice.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:00 PM
lrcormier
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Like others have said, dealer or a good machine shop. I made the mistake once thinking that the torque spec in the shop manual was foot pounds instead of inch pounds, so I kept tightening but when I striped the nut I went back and reread the spec and realized my mistake, fortunately I did not break the stud. Not saying this is the mistake you made, but just in case thought I would mention it.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:06 PM
rscott
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

usually unless stud was loctited or bottomed out by over tightening once broke no real pressure on them I have removed such with small pic . another trick is to center punch stud and use a left hand drill bit as the drill gets deeper it pulls in loosening direction of stud and I have had them spin right out if its really stubborn an eazy out will work but cannot be twisted to side as they are brittle and will snap. 40 + tears as a tool and die maker come in handy

Old 01-02-2018, 03:26 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

After all the little tricks fail to remove it, wire feed a nut to the stud and unscrew it.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:58 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by rscott
usually unless stud was loctited or bottomed out by over tightening once broke no real pressure on them I have removed such with small pic . another trick is to center punch stud and use a left hand drill bit as the drill gets deeper it pulls in loosening direction of stud and I have had them spin right out if its really stubborn an eazy out will work but cannot be twisted to side as they are brittle and will snap. 40 + tears as a tool and die maker come in handy
Best advice above and like stated, easy outs are brittle and extremely hard. If you break the easy out, you have bigger problems.

Like suggested in previous post, you may want to take to an independent shop to avoid warranty issues.

Quick Reply: Broken Exhaust Stud