Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Front Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 09:28 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

when having the dealer swap all my 2015 Road King stuff to my 17 RK I was going to take the Progressive 444's I had but decided not to bother, which was a good decision as the M8 OEM's feel better, as well as my first Harley I didn't feel the need to improve the front suspension..all my previous bikes had bad front end dive, not my M8..it was a very pleasant and welcome surprise not to have to throw money at a brand new bike this time for that stuff

Old 03-17-2018, 09:41 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I know a lot of you guys like the newer factory offerings as far as suspension goes and I will acknowledge that the changes are miles ahead of the crap that HD used to put on. The aftermarket stuff though is way ahead of what HD is selling. I haven't gone into the forks on the M8 yet. If I were to venture down that path I would try legend out. I don't care for the main supplier of Ohlin's on this site enough to work with him again. Nothing wrong with his work or the product. I just would rather give my money to someone else. Currently running Pro-Action rears on the two bikes I have. They are supposed to have a front end offering coming out that I am also considering.

Last edited by todd-67; 03-17-2018 at 09:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by todd-67:
paullavery (03-18-2018), tbob (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 10:44 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn
Are you riding M8 of any kind? The new Emulsion filled adjustable rear and Dual bending valve fronts are way ahead of anything Harley have ever provided!
You would have to be very picky to find a need to upgrade these shocks!
The old conventional and air pump adjustable tour shocks on pre Rushmore models also drove me to venture into Progressive Air Draggers and Dirty Air air cushions.
I am sure that any new converts out there will be more than satisfied to retain this excellent system.
Yup. 2017 RGS. I rode it with the stock suspension for 5,000 miles before swapping everything out for the Ohlins setup. HD markets their front shocks as some sort of great upgrade from previous forks, but when you pull them apart you can see they're the same old garbage they've always used. Just added some plastic rings. The rear shocks are the same ones they've been using on the Rushmore since it came out. There's nothing special at all about the stock suspension but like I said earlier, it's probably plenty to satisfy the average HD rider.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:17 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Plastic rings.

Originally Posted by SWThomas

HD markets their front shocks as some sort of great upgrade from previous forks, but when you pull them apart you can see they're the same old garbage they've always used. Just added some plastic rings. The rear shocks are the same ones they've been using on the Rushmore since it came out. There's nothing special at all about the stock suspension but like I said earlier, it's probably plenty to satisfy the average HD rider.
This has to rate as Hate Speech.Harley come out with Race bike technology,
Variable, bi directional damping and completely revised internals!
You seem determined to drag Harley down and Infect prospective buyers with your Myopic view! Discarding all of their effort with two words,garbage and plastic!
Do us a favor and put your considerable intellect and experience into something of positive value!

Old 03-18-2018, 06:24 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

You seem determined to drag Harley down and Infect prospective buyers with your Myopic view! Discarding all of their effort with two words,garbage and plastic!
Do us a favor and put your considerable intellect and experience into something of positive value!
Well.... when you're asking for opinions a negative opinion is not hate speech.
I feel the same way as SW-T. Although the newer shocks are an improvement that will satisfy most, there are still other options that work wonderfully.
Has nothing to do with hating anything.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:46 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

You sounds like a leftist social justice warrior. See/read something you disagree with? Call it hate speech. Get the F outta here with that weak *** ****.

Im calling a spade a spade. Anyone with half a brain knows the suspension has always been the most neglected part of HD's bikes. And the M8 suspension is just polishing the turd. I absolutely love my M8 and am definitely not trying to deter prospective buyers from purchasing one. I just prefer people know what I found as inferior and needing to be upgraded. There are plenty of folks who feels the same.

The following users liked this post:
lowbed (03-25-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 08:29 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas

You sounds like a leftist social justice warrior. See/read something you disagree with? Call it hate speech. Get the F outta here with that weak *** ****.

Im calling a spade a spade. Anyone with half a brain knows the suspension has always been the most neglected part of HD's bikes. And the M8 suspension is just polishing the turd. I absolutely love my M8 and am definitely not trying to deter prospective buyers from purchasing one. I just prefer people know what I found as inferior and needing to be upgraded. There are plenty of folks who feels the same.
100% correct!

Old 03-18-2018, 10:36 AM
mchanu
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced the front shocks on my 17 Electra Glide with the AK20 cartridge from Traxxion Dynamics. It's not the same bike. I could tell the difference even as soon as I was pulling out of my driveway for the first time. Incredible improvement. I don't feel like I'm riding on a flat front tire when I'm slow riding 2-up any more. It's way more stable.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:45 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by mchanu
I replaced the front shocks on my 17 Electra Glide with the AK20 cartridge from Traxxion Dynamics. It's not the same bike. I could tell the difference even as soon as I was pulling out of my driveway for the first time. Incredible improvement. I don't feel like I'm riding on a flat front tire when I'm slow riding 2-up any more. It's way more stable.
I had never heard of Traxxion Dynamics before. Thank you for mentioning them, it’s always nice to hear of other options.

Does anyone have more information on Howard’s option for the front ? I thought he was working on something new ??

Old 03-18-2018, 11:53 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Fake News

[QUOTE=SWThomas;17191608][left]
. And the M8 suspension is just polishing the turd. I absolutely love my M8 and am definitely not trying to deter prospective buyers from purchasing one.

You should sign up for anger management counseling.Youre not going to convince anyone that you don't keep grinding the Axe on Harley at every turn!
Fake **** Leftist? Polishing the Turd,Garbage,plastic suspension.
Really! you Love your M8! Maybe the shrink will have you in for more than just Anger management?
Rushmore was 4 years ago,the back suspension has had two upgrades and the front was done again not 2years ago.The current 2017 suspension is the best they ever have had. Guys don't be put off,buy it ,ride it and if you have the notion customize it!
Let's stop this vulgar negativity and give credit where it is due!

Quick Reply: 2018 Front Shocks