Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed my new headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 05:33 PM
Robber80
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not 100% sure. He told me something lets go inside the top end of the motor and knocks like crazy and the bike dies. What ever it was, it has happened twice now. I know the second time they did new heads and a new oil pump.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,758 Likes on 6,896 Posts

My take on this thread is it is total BS.

An internet troll reads the current issues/discussions and starts a total BS thread as has happened several times before. Reading his comments really brings into question the truthfulness and the final comments about his supposed uncles issues is very suspicious.

Carry on...........

Old 07-16-2018, 07:11 PM
Robber80
6th Gear

Yikes! There’s always someone....

I’m voicing my opinion about keeping my warranty. After all, I’ve said I love my bike a few times by now.

My “uncle” does have a very early 2017 that he had the dealer install the 114 kit. Which I’m sure most people can agree has a few more issues than the stock 107. He does have about 10k and this is the only problem he has had. Maybe it’s a simple thing because it’s an early 2017.

Either way, please read and realize I love my bike, and am NOT worried about it breaking down. That being said.... this forum has/had me nervous that my dealer may void my 5 year warranty all because I put after market stuff on my bike. Trust me, I have a 2017 BMW sport bike as well. My BMW dealer said the same damn thing. If I put headers and a tuner on goodbye warranty. Definitely not just a Harley thing.

I think Dan D. Was right. I gotta do less worrying about crap that hasn’t even happened! I’ll see some serious miles on my 2018 and I’m sure ill love everyone of them! And if I do have problems.... it wouldn’t stop me from buying a 2019 or 2020 and so on. I Can’t stop buying a brand just because of a few issues on a new motor.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:07 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,758 Likes on 6,896 Posts

Originally Posted by Robber80
Yikes! There’s always someone.... YES THERE IS. WE GET A LOT OF FIRST TIME BS THREADS

I’m voicing my opinion.. I AM ALSO. WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO OUR OPINION

My “uncle” does have a very early 2017 that he had the dealer install the 114 kit. Which I’m sure most people can agree has a few more issues than the stock 107. He does have about 10k and this is the only problem he has had. Maybe it’s a simple thing because it’s an early 2017. POST A PICTURE OF HIS BIKE WITH THESE MODS

Either way, please read and realize I love my bike, and am NOT worried about it breaking down. That being said.... this forum has/had me nervous that my dealer may void my 5 year warranty all because I put after market stuff on my bike. Trust me, I have a 2017 BMW sport bike as well. My BMW dealer said the same damn thing. If I put headers and a tuner on goodbye warranty. Definitely not just a Harley thing. Post a Picture of them together to show they are real and I will gladly apologize.

I think Dan D. Was right. I gotta do less worrying about crap that hasn’t even happened! I’ll see some serious miles on my 2018 and I’m sure ill love everyone of them! And if I do have problems.... it wouldn’t stop me from buying a 2019 or 2020 and so on. I Can’t stop buying a brand just because of a few issues on a new motor. Well why did you purchase an extended warranty if you are not keeping the bike beyond the factory warranty?

SEE ABOVE IN RED

We get a lot of first time posters with no introduction, no pictures of bikes and they seem to follow the current hot topics. Usually a big waste of time.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:29 PM
Robber80
6th Gear

Ok bud, I think your missing the entire point of my original post. I’m not complaining about the bike. I was simply posting that the warranty scare on newer bikes had me worried I’d loose my warranty. I wasn’t nor even thought about loosing my warranty on my 2014.

You snuck in all because I stated that My uncles dealer in OBX warrantied his bike even though he had headers and a tuner.

I do have some pics though! First one is my 2017 BMW s1000rr, second is my new 2018 RGS, third is my uncles 2017 RGS, last is the day I traded in my whiskey amber 2014 for my new 2018

Old 07-16-2018, 09:44 PM
Robber80
6th Gear

Oh sorry forgot about the last question. I purchased the extended warranty because I do on everything I buy. I did on my 2014 as well (and never needed it). I loved my 14 too. But saw the 2018 in Dayton this year and decided to see what deal my dealer could do. And that Wicked red was drawing me in! They did the 5 year warranty and lifetime maintenance for a real deal.

Ive read in the forum for so long, I don’t obviously post much. But I joined 2016. I guess I would understand why you would call me out better if I was ******* out the M8. Which I haven’t done in the least. But half the people responded to my original post saying I killed my warranty. So I guess the aftermarket parts vs warranty issue is finally real and being inforced more than past years. That’s not a Harley only issue though.

Either way. Thanks for your opinion. Hopefully you can take my word for it. Not a troll, and this is not a BS thread making the M8 or Harley look bad. Just a struggle in wanting to upgrade my new bike vs loosing a warranty. I’ll think twice about posting anything opinion oriented in the future. I’ll stick with reading and maybe a tech question if I can’t find the answer.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:12 PM
PirateRider
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

LOL thanks Dan D. Sadly thats exactly what I usually do. I try not to ever worry about the little things that may never be an issue. I think I'm safest to leave off the headers and go with a Harley tune to keep the best chance of warranty related things being fixed. But I plan on putting some serious miles on this bike and not worrying until I need to worry!

sounds like a good plan, those headers and FP3 will still be working in 4-5 years. It’s not worth worrying about while your on the road. I agree that if you have Harley tune it with their tuner they will cover it even if they think it had another tuner on it before. My guess is that the EPA is under new management and the next few years I suspect there won’t be as much “checking” by The MoCo on their dealers....just my opinion, not based on anything but my reading of the tea leaves.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:04 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
I wonder what your uncle had done on his bike under warranty. They can’t void the entire warranty on the bike but just the parts that could be effected by the Fuel Pak.
When they void the powertrain warranty it's about 80% of the bike.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

DTTJGlide, I agree with you. I cant sell the FP3 though, its vin locked, so unless I use it its a paper weight. I do travel quite a bit, thats why I think I wanna keep my chances as high as possible for keeping the warranty. I'll just hang onto the FP3, I'm sure they will have EPA compliant tunes in the near future. But for now, I'll let the dealer use a Harley tune for my stage 1. That way she remains warrantied. Im sure there is some Harley tech out there that could search high and low and find out the I previously had a FP3, but honestly most techs and dealerships probably feel the same way we do. If it has a Harley tune, I'm sure it would be almost impossible to find traces of the FP3 flash.
The FP3 has already voided your factory drivetrain warranty. If you make a claim they are sure to check the ECU. The ECU will show there have been modifications to the factory tune. Since there's no record of an SE Pro Street Tuner mated to the bike, it will be flagged as having a non-epa aftermarket tuner. Your warranty will be toast long before they check your exhaust. Your best bet is to purchase an SE Pro-Street Tuner so any changes to the ECU "could" have been made with HD's approved tuner. The FP3 will need to go if you want to protect the factory warranty.

If you never have a drivetrain claim under the factory warranty there will be no impact on the extended warranty. The extended warranty has different terms than the Factory warranty. An Aftermarket tuner or non-epa exhaust will NOT necessarily void the extended warranty. Only if the tuner or exhaust can be found to have caused the reason for the extended warranty claim will it matter. However if the 2yr factory warranty is voided for ANY reason, then the extended warranty is also automatically voided.

Last edited by Heatwave; 07-19-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Oldpanrider
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a warranty issue you put your stock map that is stored in the FP3 back in the ECM before you take it to the dealer as well as either the air cleaner or mufflers, your choice. They cannot tell it was ever tampered with. I know this from experience. If your warranty worries you that much leave it stock, the bikes run pretty good as is anyway.

Quick Reply: Removed my new headers