Sponsored by:

Thoughts on SG Offer

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:13 PM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior
Received 899 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Thoughts on SG Offer

I’d like some thoughts and recommended next steps on dealer experience today.

To start off, this was at my local dealer that I frequent often. I’ve been in this town for 20 years and would prefer to buy here if the price is right.

Bike im looking at: 2019 SG standard with upgraded radio and ABS (MSRP + Upgrades = $22,279)
Trade: 2011 FXDB In great condition with 15k. I’m aware that upgrades don’t count but for whatever it’s worth: Andrews 48h cams, V&H big shots, V02 intake, mustang seat, wild one bars.

I know the salesman pretty well and he is a nice guy. I went into the dealership for a part I ordered and he asked if I was interested in working a deal. He knew I had been looking at the street glides and I let him know if he was willing to make a deal I couldn’t refuse I would be willing to pull the trigger tonight.

My initial offer at his request (I know I should let him offer first but I figured what do I have to lose and I have a 4 week old so not interested in playing the back and forth for hours): $12k out the door. I knew this was a bit low but figured $20k for bike minus $8k for trade would be a good starting point.

He seemed like this may happen and asked if he could get this through the sales manager, would I go get my bike immediately and sign the paperwork? I let him know I would.

Counter offer: $18k+ out the door. This is basically MSRP and $4-5k for my trade. He stated that my bike was only worth $4800 but they could offer $6k and that the price for the SG was $22k+ but they could drop that to $21k. I realize that this nets to $15k but at that point I just said I appreciate your offer, shook his hand, and walked out. No hard feelings either way.

What would your next step be? I will obviously shop around and talk with other local dealers but I would prefer to buy here as this is local and I frequent the dealership often (and will likely continue to do so regardless of where I buy the bike). Im hoping they come back with a different offer shortly but I don’t think it will be much better.

I am willing to come up a bit in price and even mentioned a stage 1 or 2 would be purchased so I’m willing to deal on that but $18k our the door with trade seems a bit rediculous. Yay or nay? Am I asking too much looking for a couple thousand off MSRP and mid price for my bike (per Nada)?

Thoughts, comments, experiences, bashing’s welcome. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:29 PM
dcfatboy
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you asked $12k and they countered $15k, what about $13.5k?

Old 12-08-2018, 09:35 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,529 Likes on 4,426 Posts

just keep bartering..sales are going to be slow until Spring..ask for a Stage 1 installed and 1K service..or...take your time I guess this time of year and put the squeeze on them

Old 12-08-2018, 09:38 PM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dcfatboy
If you asked $12k and they countered $15k, what about $13.5k?

They countered in the $18k range OTD but I saw $21k and $6k handwritten on paper.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:47 PM
G'day
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Studlintsean
I’d like some thoughts and recommended next steps on dealer experience today.
Sounds like a decent deal but my take on it is this.

I speculate the arrival of completely new range of touring bikes from Harley ‘soon’. Maybe the 2020 model year? I thought it was going to happen for 2019 but MoCo upgraded the GPS! 😆

Why do I say this?

Softail range got upgraded for MY2018. Whole new frame with mono-shock. Do you think it would make sense that Harley would stop there?

Also, Harley must be one of the models to not offer adjustable windshield. How about remote locking saddlebags? Tire pressure monitoring system? Sure the last two are available on CVO models but Indian is offering all of these on their $22,000 Chieftain (Street Glide equivalent). Harley is step or behind the competition right now.

I am very confident, a mono-shock Street Glide, Road Glide and Road King are coming. Obviously, I don’t know when but 2020 model year seems logical since the global sales have taken a dive due to M8 issues. Fix the fluid migration and sumping issues and release a brand new chassis with new design touring bikes to get the sales back on track seems logical to me.

The down side of that is, when it happens, all the current models will take a dive in price. Just like the pre-GPS models took a dive when the GPS came out. So will you still think you got a good deal IF or WHEN a new style Harleys are announced? If so buy now and enjoy. If you are going to kick yourself, maybe wait or haggle harder.

Whatever you choose to do, as long as you sign the contract knowing what’s around the corner...

Old 12-08-2018, 09:59 PM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by G'day
Sounds like a decent deal but my take on it is this
Are you saying you think the $18k out the door is a decent offer? To me that equates to roughly $25k for bike and $7k for trade which doesn’t seem too good (but maybe the deals I read on here are a bit stretched).

Old 12-08-2018, 10:05 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

If $12k+title is what you want, make that really clear to them. That's how I did my deal on this current bike, I told em $14k + my $4,000 bike in trade, and that is it. No additional prep, or fees, or taxes, or any of that. I told em that I will give them my title and a check. They countered at $16k, and I met them in the middle at $15k. They went $15,500 and I told em no. I said work the deal any way you want - charge me $40k for the bike, and give me $25k on my trade, or charge me $15k for the new bike and give me nothing on the trade in, I don't care how you do it. If there's going to be $1,200 tax, then you better drop the price of the bike $1,200 (or give me $1,200 more on the trade, I don't care) but the net net net is: my offer is my title and a check for $15k.

They wouldn't do it. So I went to dealer #2 and made the same offer. They got within a few hundred, but we couldn't get it my way so I took the highway

Was going to dealer #3 when dealer #1 called me back and agreed to my terms.

So if you know what you want, and can stick to it, you may be able to make it happen. This strategy works best if you are bringing them a check. If you're financing (or, worse, you're shopping by monthly payment) then they can screw you over sixty different ways in the finance office and you won't even know until the rohypnol wears off.

Be prepared to walk away. Be prepared to go to another dealer. And be prepared to just keep your bike, because there's going to be all new models announced just 9 months from now, and if they won't deal now, they'll be much more incentivized to deal then.

The following users liked this post:
psyshack (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:06 PM
G'day
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Studlintsean
Are you saying you think the $18k out the door is a decent offer? To me that equates to roughly $25k for bike and $7k for trade which doesn’t seem too good (but maybe the deals I read on here are a bit stretched).
Getting $6K on a $4K to $5K bike seems like a decent offer. But I have no idea what the 2011 bike is worth so... my point was ‘brand new bike is coming, do you still want to buy a 2019 model year bike?’

Old 12-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

Yeah, the old gotta' talk to my sales manager deal. Its like good cop bad cop, the salesman is working it because the more $$ he squeezes out of the deal the more he makes.
Unfortunately they have the new bike that you want, doubtful you will find a better deal without a lot of time wasted.
Don't buy into the 'look at this shiny new bike'.....kids cost money too and appreciate your time.
You have a nice bike already so wait it out, there will be a better deal soon enough.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:18 PM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
If $12k+title is what you want, make that really clear to them. That's how I did my deal on this current bike, I told em $14k + my $4,000 bike in trade, and that is it. No additional prep, or fees, or taxes, or any of that. I told em that I will give them my title and a check. They countered at $16k, and I met them in the middle at $15k. They went $15,500 and I told em no. I said work the deal any way you want - charge me $40k for the bike, and give me $25k on my trade, or charge me $15k for the new bike and give me nothing on the trade in, I don't care how you do it. If there's going to be $1,200 tax, then you better drop the price of the bike $1,200 (or give me $1,200 more on the trade, I don't care) but the net net net is: my offer is my title and a check for $15k.

They wouldn't do it. So I went to dealer #2 and made the same offer. They got within a few hundred, but we couldn't get it my way so I took the highway

Was going to dealer #3 when dealer #1 called me back and agreed to my terms.

So if you know what you want, and can stick to it, you may be able to make it happen. This strategy works best if you are bringing them a check. If you're financing (or, worse, you're shopping by monthly payment) then they can screw you over sixty different ways in the finance office and you won't even know until the rohypnol wears off.

Be prepared to walk away. Be prepared to go to another dealer. And be prepared to just keep your bike, because there's going to be all new models announced just 9 months from now, and if they won't deal now, they'll be much more incentivized to deal then.

Thanks again for the feedback. This is pretty much where I’m at. I’ll give them a few days to come back and if not, I’ll try another dealer. Not writing a check as I was thinning financing may help (I have excellent credit so I’m OK with taking a loan at 3-4% and paying off within a year or so).

Quick Reply: Thoughts on SG Offer