Sponsored by:

New Problem (Red Lights), Shocks & Wind

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:47 AM
Mcathcart
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Problem (Red Lights), Shocks & Wind

Rode the new SG M8 South yesterday to my Sisters house. At 70 mph I'm getting a Lot of air coming up over the tank considerably more Wind Buffering than my old bike is a RG. Reading on here I found the Wind deflectors. Looks like I'll order the one for the center of the fairing and the lower wings for each side. Not huge just something to get used to.

I pulled the left back and my shock adjustment was on 7 or 8. I lowered it to 2. I "think" I can tell a little difference but in my opinion the Shock Spring rate is toooo STRONG.

And for the first time I have Ever experienced this problem in 40 years. Coming home late last night, getting stopped at Red Lights. The RG is not triggering the wire loop in the road. I sat at the first light for almost 5 minutes and it Never Changed. "OK, Nikki Haley I hope the Bill you Signed Into Law in S.C. is still on the books. So I blew the first light. The next light is where I cross H-17 in Little River, same deal. I sat there for 3 or 4 minutes and Nothing. No change in the lights. Now I'm forced to cross a divided 4 lane highway which could be Dangerous (this is one of the 3 main highways into North Myrtle Beach). Anyone else have this problem?

I know I'm nitpicking some but I need to solve the red light trigger problem or... I'm sure some Nice Officer is going to have a Discussion with me about Blowing Red Lights.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:18 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,625 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Found this after a quick search.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:07 AM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Found this after a quick search.

Utah has a similar rule.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:15 AM
donus
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

We have the same problem in NC where I live anyway and I herd we have the same law in NC Ido like you and run them when clear. As for the wind I did the opposite I've had a classic and a street glide the new bike is an RG and I love it wouldn't go back because of the wind and I think it handles better.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:45 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

The red light doesn’t change problem almost never happens out here in SoCal. I think they use cameras rather than embedded sensors. Even so, if a light doesn’t change in a reasonable time, I blow it off. Another nice thing about SoCal is that the police and public allow motorcycles a lot more room to operate efficiently than I’ve seen in most other states. That’s one reason I like CA so much.

As as for the wind buffeting, best advice is to give the bike a lot of time to get used to it. Try not to form early opinions. It usually takes me 5k to 10k miles to truly adapt to a new bike.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:01 AM
madwrencher
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

They make magnets to go on the bottom of motorcycles to help trigger the lights

Old 06-17-2019, 12:18 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I have the wing deflectors on my '17 SG. They are more of wind directors rather than wind deflectors - no difference in buffeting with them open/closed. The only difference is whether you want wind blowing on your torso. The wind that is causing the buffeting is coming around the tank, which is a lower air stream than what is hitting the deflectors.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:53 AM
Mcathcart
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Up Date!

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
I have the wing deflectors on my '17 SG. They are more of wind directors rather than wind deflectors - no difference in buffeting with them open/closed. The only difference is whether you want wind blowing on your torso. The wind that is causing the buffeting is coming around the tank, which is a lower air stream than what is hitting the deflectors.
Since I'm a Amazon ***** I ordered the wind "re-directors". They should be here tomorrow.

My "used" SG came with the upgraded seat. It sits OK but I like the standard seat better. I'd looked on ebay and the only ones I found were Auctions (and not Buy It Now). Don't know how many have found FaceBook Market Place but I searched "Harley Seat" on Monday. I found a Seat in Georgetown SC (1.5 hours away) for $25.00. I sent the seller (lady) a Message asking for the number on the back. BOOM, she had the correct seat. Yesterday I took off South (I'm just above North Myrtle Beach) and got the seat. It looks Brand New. The Bike sits Lower now, which I like.

SHOCKS. Look, as an ME I disagree with H-D's rear shock design by 100%... UNLESS, unless they're intentions were a Mono-Shock design. I pulled both bags last night and my Shocks are Marked "LOW". Measuring them, 12" so it looks like I have the shorter shock(s). I'm betting you could take the right side off and chunk it. Have you looked at the difference in the springs (Left to Right)? I can squeeze the spring on the Right Shock (as you know it's Not a Shock on the right side) with my hand. From what I've read, most FLHX's come with 13" shocks? Since my bike has the LOW shocks I think H-D increased the spring rate on the shorter shock. With my Pre-Load at "0", my bike acts like a '70's Sportster. Bouncing on it, it almost dosen't Move at "0" and with me sitting on it (210 lbs), it's fully extended. As soon as I get it in the basement, I'm going to jack it up and pull the right side shock off and see what it does without the right dummy shock/spring.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:42 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by madwrencher
They make magnets to go on the bottom of motorcycles to help trigger the lights
This^^^

Buy yourself a generic and fairly large neodymium magnet or a bunch of little ones and stick it or them to the bottom of your frame tube. Works like a charm.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
This^^^

Buy yourself a generic and fairly large neodymium magnet or a bunch of little ones and stick it or them to the bottom of your frame tube. Works like a charm.
I hate to ride over a flat piece of ferrous metal and have it pop up under my bike at 70 mph due to the magnets... Unless you're only talking refrigerator magnet size/strength?

The following users liked this post:
Mcathcart (06-19-2019)

Quick Reply: New Problem (Red Lights), Shocks & Wind