Road King Special risers

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 09:06 PM
trideer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Special risers

Hello,

I'll still looking for a way to reduce the reach for my bars on my bike. I'm not confident at rewiring for new bars but think I could save a buck if I replaced the risers instead and I feel confident doing that kind of job. Has anyone of you guys done that? I've been looking for solution for some time. I can't find much info on YouTube or other sites to help me out. I'm looking for part numbers and maybe some photos. I'm also wondering about the cover that is over the risers. I'm not sure what to do with that area of the bike once it lists up a few inches. Not sure if they make a cover for a 4 inch riser? Thanks guys. Russ

Old 06-25-2019, 06:27 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by trideer
Hello,

I'll still looking for a way to reduce the reach for my bars on my bike. I'm not confident at rewiring for new bars but think I could save a buck if I replaced the risers instead and I feel confident doing that kind of job. Has anyone of you guys done that? I've been looking for solution for some time. I can't find much info on YouTube or other sites to help me out. I'm looking for part numbers and maybe some photos. I'm also wondering about the cover that is over the risers. I'm not sure what to do with that area of the bike once it lists up a few inches. Not sure if they make a cover for a 4 inch riser? Thanks guys. Russ
Not commonly done, mostly because of the design of the nacelle/riser cover. However you could probably use this:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...09-55800290--1

Will probably detract from the finished look of the front end, but it’s probably the only option if you must add tall risers.

Last edited by Mchad; 06-25-2019 at 06:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
trideer (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 06:49 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

Leave the cover in place and find new bars, all the options for taller risers look makeshift, ie: like $hit....

Replacing bars is no big deal, the wires are very small, the connectors do not have to be removed to fish the wire through the bars like on the older models.

Just make sure you cover all the painted areas of the bike so you don`t damage when you drop a tool...

The service manual gives very clear instructions on how to do this work.

trideer (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:02 AM
h7009
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Trideer, I actually did this on my Road King standard. To say the least it does NOT look like **** as stated earlier. Get your HD parts guy to look in the "Fat Book", You will find risers in both Black and chrome. You can buy a 3 1/2" riser, a new black chrome "cover" as the old one will not work, because of the riser. You can use your old clamp (top piece) that holds the bars on. Should be three pieces. Risers, cover, and clamp. Mine cost about $115 in Chrome. I cut the 'zip" ties on the stock lines and they are more than long enough to adapt to the to the new position. Take a little time, talk to the parts guy, you can do this and it will look great!!! Good luck, CSM-H

trideer (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:43 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

What year is the bike?

Old 06-25-2019, 12:44 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Confused. Are you not happy with the height of the bars and want them taller? or do you have to reach forward too much for them and want them pulled back closer to the driver?

Old 06-25-2019, 02:51 PM
trideer
Novice

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. It's a 2017 RKS. I've moved the bars as close as I can without hitting the tank but I'm still learning forward putting stain on my back and shoulders. I'm thinking up two inches and back two inches would solve my problem. Thanks for all the input.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:44 PM
trideer
Novice

Originally Posted by h7009
Trideer, I actually did this on my Road King standard. To say the least it does NOT look like **** as stated earlier. Get your HD parts guy to look in the "Fat Book", You will find risers in both Black and chrome. You can buy a 3 1/2" riser, a new black chrome "cover" as the old one will not work, because of the riser. You can use your old clamp (top piece) that holds the bars on. Should be three pieces. Risers, cover, and clamp. Mine cost about $115 in Chrome. I cut the 'zip" ties on the stock lines and they are more than long enough to adapt to the to the new position. Take a little time, talk to the parts guy, you can do this and it will look great!!! Good luck, CSM-H
Thanks again for the info.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:36 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by trideer
Hello,

I'm about 5'9" with T-Rex arms so I went with Wild 1 502 bars 121/2" rise 12" pullback feels much better.