Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

m-8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 06:38 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Out of curiosity, what happened to the motor. I'm looking into some things with mine and I keep hearing "catastrophic failure" and "grenaded" etc... with no real description of what happened.

I've owned my 17 since October and have put about 5,000 miles on it (live in New England and had around 8.300 miles on it) and have only taken two road trips. Went to DC once and Lake George, NY once. Everything else local, short hops etc... At one point on both trips I got some valve train noise like the lifters weren't pumping up enough. No loss of power, extra heat, oil smell etc... and noise cleared. I checked the oil level on the NY trip at a fuel stop when motor was making some noise and level was perfect. At a bit over 13,000 on it now. I am developing what sounds like some valve noise once warm. With possible loose valve seat issues, sumping and everything else I'm getting concerned. Like you I'm just off warranty.

Neil
RDMC

Old 07-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Billy889
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil
Out of curiosity, what happened to the motor. I'm looking into some things with mine and I keep hearing "catastrophic failure" and "grenaded" etc... with no real description of what happened.

I've owned my 17 since October and have put about 5,000 miles on it (live in New England and had around 8.300 miles on it) and have only taken two road trips. Went to DC once and Lake George, NY once. Everything else local, short hops etc... At one point on both trips I got some valve train noise like the lifters weren't pumping up enough. No loss of power, extra heat, oil smell etc... and noise cleared. I checked the oil level on the NY trip at a fuel stop when motor was making some noise and level was perfect. At a bit over 13,000 on it now. I am developing what sounds like some valve noise once warm. With possible loose valve seat issues, sumping and everything else I'm getting concerned. Like you I'm just off warranty.

Neil
RDMC
+1

Old 07-09-2019, 07:50 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by geysers
Hi all, One new oil pump change to supposedly fix possible sumping of oil. Bike destroyed itself at 10400 miles due to sumping one month after warranty expired. This is a big problem for people that had stage 4 kits installed .One dealership replaced 7 engines due to this . Any class action suits filed for this ? No big deal whats 30 k for 10400 miles Thats about three dollars a mile . To top it off the salesman said why don,t you fix it and trade it in for a new one REALLY
kind of vague report and agree with Neil, what exactly happened?..better yet post a pic of the R.O. ...are you saying yours was a SE Stage 4? and that 7 other SE Stage 4 engines were replaced by a dealership you know of where the same 'thing' happened?

Old 07-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,722 Likes on 6,886 Posts

Hi all, One new oil pump change to supposedly fix possible sumping of oil. Bike destroyed itself at 10400 miles due to sumping one month after warranty expired. This is a big problem for people that had stage 4 kits installed .One dealership replaced 7 engines due to this . Any class action suits filed for this ? No big deal whats 30 k for 10400 miles Thats about three dollars a mile . To top it off the salesman said why don,t you fix it and trade it in for a new one REALLY

OP I have to trust you are for real and being honest. But you just joined, have zero history, no pictures or proof. Details are very vague. You have started three different threads similar that all start with Hi, Hey, Hello.

I had a offshore go fast boat that blew an XR outdrive two weeks after the warranty expired. That was a $6k loss back over 12 years ago. I feel your pain. Right now I have three months left on the warranty on my 2017 CVO. I'm trying to make a decision on whether to invest in the ESP or not.

Good luck and thanks for posting.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:40 PM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Right now I have three months left on the warranty on my 2017 CVO. I'm trying to make a decision on whether to invest in the ESP or not.
...be careful of the timing of when your warranty ends vs starting the ESP. When I got the ESP for my trike, it was a good thing I checked as I believe you have to start it ONE month PRIOR to the factory warranty expiring. I just made it by a few days. If I would've waited within a few days of the factory warranty expiring, I would have been too late and not able to get the ESP. Check their website carefully on when you have to start your ESP vs the factory warranty ending.

Last edited by anthony_b.; 07-09-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:17 AM
missionwop
Road Captain
Received 546 Likes on 219 Posts

Thats not true i got mine on my last bike a month after it expired. Must have less than 125 thousand kilometers approx 80 thousand miles and your good.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:56 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 229 Likes on 143 Posts

Well I'm not as generous as Cosmic, I say this troll is full of s**t, he's started 3 threads & hasn't replied in any of them. First one was Monday & he said was a failed valve spring & 2 others he knew the same thing, then Tuesday at noon he was in the new members section with a different version & asking about lawsuit again. I figure he's done his damage & will never be heard from again, I know there are some problems, but it would be nice to know how many of the reports are actually true. It's no wonder that people read a few posts on here & think the majority of bikes all have problems, it just gets old after a while!

The following 4 users liked this post by DTTJGlide:
bradsULtd (07-10-2019), mjwebb (07-10-2019), MTBIG G (07-10-2019), SMR65 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 08:14 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Hey heatstroker is back. Lmao

The following 5 users liked this post by Bumpandrun:
Agoober (07-11-2019), DTTJGlide (07-10-2019), MTBIG G (07-10-2019), Phil13 (07-11-2019), strych9 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 01:52 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Ok, whether or not the OP is a troll or not, I’m hoping someone can shed some light on my question. For those of you that have suffered a sumping failure, what damage was done? Did it just score the cylinders, seize, trash oil pump...

Neil
RDMC