Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Calif Insurance rates for baggers

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:25 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Calif Insurance rates for baggers

Need to renew my coverage and Progressive just took a jump.

So, what are you Calif riders paying for a year.

age - 61

I do carry High coverage

Bodily Injury 250/500K
Property Damage 100K
Uninisured/Underinsured 250/500K

ded 500/500

safe driver discount / NO tickets or DUI

$530 a year..

Central Calif - Turlock/Modesto area

Old 10-10-2011, 06:59 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

you can look around.

as you know rates are somewhat based on risk of rider and risks to rider in that area

when I lived in CA. I used mike felder as a broker--- call him.
they are great people and he offered good rates on coverage- and most important he made sure I had the correct levels of coverage--- while not paying for duplicate coverage

http://www.7cycles.com/

for example:

UI/UIM covers you whether you are riding your bike, or sitting on your sofa and a car hits you or your property.

If you have this on your car policy- you do not need this on your bike policy--- you are covered.
this is a huge saving. the key is to attach the UI/UIM coverage to the policy with the least "risk", so rather than bike, a volvo.

if you are a hog member they can also offer quotes BUT they will not check your coverages ( which i got in a beef with them about, they were allowing me to pay for roadside on multiple policies when they KNEW roadside was covered from HOG... they said my fault for not reading the policies through--- I agreed, then asked what am I paying your for?

until you have a claim, there is no way of knowing anything about the ins co. except how good they are at cashing your checks.

I have similar coverage with progressive on my 09 FLHTC and my Honda Trail 90- the other bikes are with specialty collector carriers. I pay $301 a year in PHX ( the UIM is on my car policy)

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-10-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:32 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always got a better deal through a broker then any other way. I have had Foremost and then Safeco in the last few years. Both gave me good coverage with additional for mods. They were both under $300 a year using a broker.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:27 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
you can look around.

as you know rates are somewhat based on risk of rider and risks to rider in that area

when I lived in CA. I used mike felder as a broker--- call him.
they are great people and he offered good rates on coverage- and most important he made sure I had the correct levels of coverage--- while not paying for duplicate coverage

http://www.7cycles.com/

for example:

UI/UIM covers you whether you are riding your bike, or sitting on your sofa and a car hits you or your property.

If you have this on your car policy- you do not need this on your bike policy--- you are covered.
this is a huge saving. the key is to attach the UI/UIM coverage to the policy with the least "risk", so rather than bike, a volvo.

if you are a hog member they can also offer quotes BUT they will not check your coverages ( which i got in a beef with them about, they were allowing me to pay for roadside on multiple policies when they KNEW roadside was covered from HOG... they said my fault for not reading the policies through--- I agreed, then asked what am I paying your for?

until you have a claim, there is no way of knowing anything about the ins co. except how good they are at cashing your checks.

I have similar coverage with progressive on my 09 FLHTC and my Honda Trail 90- the other bikes are with specialty collector carriers. I pay $301 a year in PHX ( the UIM is on my car policy)

mike
As I understand it, UI/UIM coverage needs to be on a policy for each vehicle. Just having it on your auto doesn't also cover you on your mc.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:37 PM
edpnjax
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 Bagger
As I understand it, UI/UIM coverage needs to be on a policy for each vehicle. Just having it on your auto doesn't also cover you on your mc.
I don't think that is true. The only catch that I am aware of is they make you choose stacked on the auto side, but that is really not that much cost.

I have had UI/UIM coverage on my bikes via my auto coverage through several companies. Currently GEICO. Just have to have both bike and auto through the same company. It was the same with Allstate, State Farm and Progressive.

Obviously you should check with your particular Insurance Company though.