Sponsored by:

Help - Can't Export Route

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 03:40 PM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help - Can't Export Route

Just purchased a new 16 Ultra Limited and I'm trying to export a route. I created a route in Basecamp and saved the route (GPX) onto my desktop. I then moved that route to my thumb drive, which shows its formatted to FAT32. I plugged the thumb drive into bike, go to NAV, MENU and EXPORT. The "USB" icon comes up and that's it. No routes. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!
Todd

Old 10-15-2015, 03:43 PM
skieverything
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe you want to import, not export. Sounds like you got everything else right. Good luck

Old 10-15-2015, 04:53 PM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skieverything
I believe you want to import, not export. Sounds like you got everything else right. Good luck
Okay....Apparently the directions are wrong in the Harley Davidson manual. It clearly says to "EXPORT." I ignored those directions and "IMPORTED" the route and it downloaded. Another question though. I clicked ok, but is the route supposed to go to map and start? My bike is in the garage and probably not getting a GPS signal.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:29 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by tringle
Okay....Apparently the directions are wrong in the Harley Davidson manual. It clearly says to "EXPORT." I ignored those directions and "IMPORTED" the route and it downloaded. Another question though. I clicked ok, but is the route supposed to go to map and start? My bike is in the garage and probably not getting a GPS signal.
From the manual:

ROUTE TO DESTINATION (SAVED)
After a destination has been saved, it can be used for future rides. See NAVIGATION, Saving a Destination (Saved, Preferred or Home).
1. Select Home > Nav > Where To.
2. Select Saved.
3. Select saved destination from the list.
4. Select Route/View.
5. Select Go.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:00 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by tringle
Okay....Apparently the directions are wrong in the Harley Davidson manual. It clearly says to "EXPORT."
The directions are not wrong.
You use "Export" when you want to export a route from the NAV unit to a USB device
You use "Import" when that route is already on a USB device and you want to import it into the NAV unit.

Page 165 of the Boom Owners Manual.

EXPORTING A ROUTE
A trip, trail or saved destination can be exported to a USB storage device. The system exports the set of routes as a GPX file named "H-D_NavData.gpx". If needed, the system will add a sequential number to prevent overwriting other previously saved files (such as "H-D_NavData(1).gpx"). Multiple trips or destinations can be contained in a single GPX file.
The export feature is designed to back up routes or share routes with other riders that have a Boom! Box system.
While the GPX file may be imported into other GPS devices, there may be limitations on compatibility.

1. Connect a USB device to store the files. The USB device must be formatted to FAT16 or FAT32 (typical format used by PCs) to support data exports. NTFS-formatted devices are read-only and do not support GPX export.
2. From the Navigation menu, select Menu.
3. Select Export. A list of trips, trails and saved destinations 
are displayed.
4. Check the checkboxes for all items to be exported, or 
choose Select All.
5. Select the USB Export button on the right side of the 
screen.
6. Select OK when the export completes. The USB device can be removed. 

MPORTING A ROUTE
The system can import trip, trail and destination files saved in GPS Exchange Format (GPX). The files may have been exported by another motorcycle equipped with a Boom! Box system or created by Ride Planner (www.h-d.com/rideplanner). A single GPX file may contain multiple trips and destinations.
The system can use GPX files exported by other GPS devices or mapping websites. While GPX is a standard format for navigation files, there may be some limited compatibility when importing these routes. Review the route before riding.
Imported routes are stored in respective locations within the radio. Destinations are stored in the Saved list. Imported trips are stored in the Trips list. Imported phone book contact files (V-card files, VCF) are added to the Book list in the navigation menu.
NOTE
The system only supports up to 9 destinations per trip. If an imported trip includes more destinations, the additional destin- ations will be cut off. If necessary, create a separate trip for each leg of the ride (with the first trip including the first 9 des- tinations, and so on).

1. Connect a USB device to store the files.
2. From the Navigation menu, select Menu.
3. Select Import. A list of GPX and VCF files are displayed.
4. Select a GPX or VCF file from the list. A list of all trips, trails and destinations within the GPX file are displayed.
5. Select the trips, trails and destinations to import.
6. Select the Import button on the right side of the screen.
7. Select OK when completed. The USB device can be removed. 

Old 10-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Ohio HD Guy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I recall correctly, you'll find the import route under My Trips