Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

MobilV-Twin, bearing damage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:08 AM
usacando
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MobilV-Twin, bearing damage?

When I asked the dealer about the use of Mobil1-V-Twin in the engine and RedLine in the trans, This was his reply.
"HD made Syn3 with just enough drag to make the rolllers and bearings roll and not drag or slide due to NOT ENOUGH friction or drag in the oil".
That was certainly a new one for me.
"Your oil is TOO slick and does not let the bearing roll like they are designed to roll. If HD finds a flat spot in the bearing they will say your oil did not provide enough drag for the bearing to roll"
He said the same about Redline in the Transmission.
Must be nice to have the ONLY perfect oil in the world. LOL

Old 03-27-2006, 11:26 AM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: MobilV-Twin, bearing damage?

That $teeler must not have gotten the 'new memo'

Old 03-27-2006, 12:51 PM
vulhalla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That just doesnt make sense.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:43 PM
usacando
Intermediate

I agree that does not sound correct.
Sounds like SCARE tactics that anything but their oil will with a big ?mark MAY cause damage and if it does the cost is on you because you did not use their oil.
Mis-information is a powerful tool.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:04 PM
stevent
Road Master

Sounds like a crock of poop to me.....

I'd ask him why Harley engines are so delicate while any other engine runs fine on Full Synthetic?

Old 03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Scotto
Banned

That is a myth that dealers have been using to scare you into buying their oils. completely false.
Mobil 1 is fine for your motor as well as any premium brand 20/50 motor oil that has the word detergent on the bottle.
Same with Redline, an excellent oil for your tranny.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:43 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

Is that old crap still around. Tell your dealer he is full of Bull.

That lie was common before Harley came out with syn-3, but it was all synthetics then. When Harley started marketing synthetics suddenly their oil wasn't too slippery.

This little document protects you from idiots like that. I have copied the paragraph that has the you can't do that to people part. Notice the part in bold.

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act US Code Title 15 Chapter 50

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if -

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefore.

If you have an engine failure and are using Mobile-1 or RedLine. As long as the oil meets or exceeds the recommended specifications they will have to keep their mouth shut and look for another way out.

So the next time your dealer tells you that Syn-3 is the only oil you can use in your in Harley that is under warranty, tell him "Great then you are going to give me the Syn-3 for Free". See what he says then.

I have the whole Document in Word if anyone wants it.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:43 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

OH NO........I just clicked on this thread and my bullshit meter picked up a reading of 9.9877653 on the dealer comment there about the mobil 1 oil. He is half right

1. Syn3 is a group III synthetic oil which would make a very good "break in oil" because it's still good in reducing heat (too much heat) and still lubricates well.

2. Mobil 1 Vtwin is a group IV synthetic oil (PAO base stocks) and will stil be fine for break in or the people at GM/ Mercedes/Aston Martin/Porsche and S&S as well as others are in for a big surprise when all the hot rods get returned.

3. Redline oils are a group V synthetic (POE base stocks) and redline recommends running dyno oil in the ENGINE 1000-2000 to seat the rings before switching. The trans & primary are uneffected and can be switched right away. I know this because I called them personally and spoke to the Redline application engineer about putting shockproof heavy in my Dyna at 100 miles.

I'm breaking in with Syn3 in the engine & primary and redline in the trans.

NOTE: If you do break in with synthetics allow more mileage than with dino preferrably 1500 or 2000 before you hammer the motor. You should keep to the 1000 mile service as well.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Review that statement for a minute...

If there isn't enough friction for the bearing to spin (roll), how is there enough friction to create a flat-spot.

Not only should you find a new dealer, you should post their name up here so we all know who not to use.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:05 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Review that statement for a minute...

If there isn't enough friction for the bearing to spin (roll), how is there enough friction to create a flat-spot.

Not only should you find a new dealer, you should post their name up here so we all know who not to use.

The whole lie is based on the concept that the rolling elements float or "skate" along the inner and outer bearing race instead of turning or rolling. What they don't realize is that every bearing manufacturer in the world has been searching for years to find a way to reduce the coefficient of friction in rolling element bearings. In fact Skf industries published a paper several years citing the fact that if they could reduce the coefficient of friction by just 10% in a rolling bearing assembly that they could reduce the Worlds energy consumption by an amount equivalent to all the energy consumed by South America. If Redline oil could accomplish this you would never be able to get near the company........the founders would be literally billionaires and be as famous as Bill Gates. By now they would have probably been acquired by Exxon Mobil and you would be buying Mobil Shockproof Heavy at Autozone. Just aint true...and to darn bad because gas would be $1.35 if it was.

Quick Reply: MobilV-Twin, bearing damage?