Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

15 Slim frame peeling, help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:42 PM
beef6
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15 Slim frame peeling, help.

Was cleaning my bike and realize the finish (paint or powder coat) is peeling on the bottom rail between the primary cover and shock. There is a hose that dumps right above it and I think whatever is dumps is the issue. Is that a fuel overflow?

Pretty upset as it's 2 years old with 2500 miles on it. Now I need to figure out what needs done to fix this before it rusts. Horrible pictures I'll try to get some better ones.

Any ideas?

Old 07-25-2017, 07:37 PM
CptRayT
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering you cannot see it and you are just trying to stop rust, Scuff it up with some 180 gt paper in that spot. (after you clean up any loos edge stuff) and then carefully CAREFULLY as not to get over spray on anything (Use masking paper) hit it with a bit of self etching primer, then some black paint. Looks like Gloss or semi gloss would be close. Then relocate the hose so whatever is eating it is not dripping on it. Even consider extending it just past the frame so it hits the ground and not the paint. Just take your time and be careful. That should stop any rust from forming. Now, if you can see the booboo, this will make your situation a bit more difficult, and I will yield to someone with a bit more experience, as I am a big dumb animal with a paint gun, and by no means a professional.