Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Oregon question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:02 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Oregon question

I plan to ride to The Dalles, Oregon this summer. I will be coming up I-5 from California. I am hoping someone familiar with Oregon can tell me which route would be the best ride:

I-5 to Portland, then E on I-84?
or
Hwy 97 from Yreka CA through La Pine and Bend to The Dalles?

Or ??

Old 02-01-2017, 06:13 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by slhanks4
I plan to ride to The Dalles, Oregon this summer. I will be coming up I-5 from California. I am hoping someone familiar with Oregon can tell me which route would be the best ride:

I-5 to Portland, then E on I-84?
or
Hwy 97 from Yreka CA through La Pine and Bend to The Dalles?

Or ??
97 at least gets you an easy side trip to Crater Lake, Well worth the detour at Klamath Falls. Only real drawback to 97 is the effin truck traffic between Weed and I-84 coming from and going to the Inland NW.

The following users liked this post:
slhanks4 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:20 PM
jtarter
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure what you have for time, but I would definitely go see Crater Lake. After that, I would head back over to Oregon Coast Hwy(101). I would take that all the way to Astoria, and then head East into Portland. Head East on Hwy 30, then thru the Columbia River Gorge(I-84). Multnomah Falls is pretty cool. The Columbia River Gorge is nice.

What brings you to The Dalles?

Old 02-02-2017, 02:18 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Oregon and New Jersey are the only states you can't pump your own gas.

Be prepared to have someone tell you that but many will let a rider fill his bike but be prepared to not filling on your own. They know bikers are fussy.

My 1st time, I thought they were just being "friendly" when filling the truck.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:58 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gusotto
Oregon and New Jersey are the only states you can't pump your own gas.

Be prepared to have someone tell you that but many will let a rider fill his bike but be prepared to not filling on your own. They know bikers are fussy...
You pump your own at all Oregon gas stations. Most of them have to run the card then hand you the nozzle. Hell, they gotta do something.

Also, the only way I would do I-5/84 would be if there was a medical emergency. But if you do, skip the I-84 & cross the bridge to Wa. & turn right on SR-14 which runs along the north side of the river. Then you can cross back at the Dalles.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:29 AM
papayak
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 66cruiser
You pump your own at all Oregon gas stations. Most of them have to run the card then hand you the nozzle. Hell, they gotta do something.

Also, the only way I would do I-5/84 would be if there was a medical emergency. But if you do, skip the I-84 & cross the bridge to Wa. & turn right on SR-14 which runs along the north side of the river. Then you can cross back at the Dalles.

Yep - motorcycles and classic automobiles you pump your own... most don't want to... keep them away from your windshield with those scratchy brushes too.

Agree on I5... I would rather saw my own head off then ever run up that road again... 97 has some pretty good spots and the coast road is fantastic pretty much all the way up and down (RV's can trap you in tourist season)... also agree on sr-14 same views but 2 lane. There is a cool re-creation of Stonehenge right there too at Marysville.

There is some good riding off of I5 around Multinomah Falls that is the old historic highway. Think it is not intact though if I remember right... Multinomah is definately worth seeing...

Old 02-02-2017, 09:01 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Yup, 97 with a side trip through Crater Lake. But here is a twist, once you get to Bend, take 20 up to 22, then head to Detroit, then take 224 all the way up to Esctacata, then 211 to Sandy, then hook East through Mt Hood ... go up for a quick view ... then take 26 to 35 and all the way to The Dales. You will not be disappointed.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:11 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Yup, 97 with a side trip through Crater Lake. But here is a twist, once you get to Bend, take 20 up to 22, then head to Detroit, then take 224 all the way up to Esctacata, then 211 to Sandy, then hook East through Mt Hood ... go up for a quick view ... then take 26 to 35 and all the way to The Dales. You will not be disappointed.
Thanks....dug the map out while reading your post. Great suggestion.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:31 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Thanks....dug the map out while reading your post. Great suggestion.
Oregon is the only place I have ever been, where the fire service roads are paved.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:38 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
I'll second that but catch 97 in Weed Ca. instead of Yreka, takes you around the back of Mt. Shasta. Be sure and gas up in Weed.

The following users liked this post:
slhanks4 (02-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Oregon question