Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Blue Ridge Parkway Input

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 07:13 PM
Lotaluck
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Blue Ridge Parkway Input

Looking for some suggestions please. Myself and a couple buddies will be leaving Akron Ohio for a 3 day trip to the tail of the dragon. 1 day to get there, a day to ride around the area, then a day to get home. This will be Memorial Day weekend. Last year I rode into pigeon forge via 81 from 77 so mostly all highway which I don't mind. This year I am thinking something different and is where I need some advise. I was thinking about taking 77 to Fancy Gap and picking up the parkway and riding into deals gap from there. We don't need to make it all the way to deals gap on day one so I was thinking exiting the parkway along the way and grabbing a room. Does anyone have any recommendations for a place to stay along that rout? How many riding hours from fancy gap to deals gap via the parkway? That might be the deal breaker, as it's not bad burning miles on the highway but with limited time the parkway may not be the best option. Thanks in Advance.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Lots of towns between the parkway and the interstate. You shouldn't have any problems finding something. Perhaps pick a location and reserve a couple of days before (being a long weekend and all) to be safe. That's a lot of "scenic" riding for three days. Sure hope you get good weather. If the weather sucks going down, you could head to Deals's day one and hit the parkway on the rebound.

Personally I'd try to find a couple of more extra days.

The following users liked this post:
Lotaluck (05-11-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 08:31 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 791 Likes on 602 Posts

You may wish to consider the purchase of a Madmaps.
Specifically Madmaps scenic road trips of the smokies.
It will have some of the best scenic roads documented.
https://madmaps.myshopify.com/

Lotaluck (05-11-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 09:08 PM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 233 Posts

Here is some parkway info. speed limit from Waynesboro south is 45. Planned on going to deals gap last summer but never made it Maybe this year.

Have fun, long ride for three days especially with Parkway speeds and curves.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/61...e-Parkway.html

Lotaluck (05-11-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 09:08 PM
Farmboy666
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fancy gap to Deals gap on the big road is almost 5 hrs according to google maps. Parkway speed limit is 35 to 45 depending. Add memorial weekend and I say 10hrs at best. Parkway is nice and great overlooks but after a few hrs it starts to all look the same. I would book it to Deals gap and enjoy the area. Lots of hotels around Asheville, Waynesville but Holiday weekend I would book ahead.

Lotaluck (05-11-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 09:10 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 791 Likes on 602 Posts

Upon reviewing my Madmap, that ride seems rather long for the amount of time if you plan on doing any sight seeing.
The Blue ridge Parkway is 45 MPH or less and tickets are not state tickets..they are federal so speeding is not an option.
The time spent on the Blue ridge will be scenic but not fast, enjoyable but not curvey.
A nice alternative might be riding loop 23, 24, 26 and part of loop 28 on madmaps.
That would allow you to ride:
The snake
The rattler
The diamond back loop
part of blue ridge parkway
Such a combination would combine some very challenging curves with some scenic stretches.
and you would have potential scenic stops with limited repeated roads to see :
Wild horses at Grayson Highlands State Park.. small fee (seen in several motorcycle postcards) it would seem like motorcyclist like the short hike to see the horses and then stop at the overlook on the way out.
Backbone rock near shady valley store FREE..climb the rock.
Little Switzerland Inn...FREE...the view in the back is very nice..a 15-20 minute stop..just walk to the right of lobby to back outdoor bar.
The Moses H. Cone house FREE Nice view out back.
and there are several other stops available.

Last edited by im; 05-10-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Lotaluck (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Lotaluck
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Great info everyone. Let me take a few days to research and I'll report back with the plan. Wish we could squeeze another day, but we will make do with what we have.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts

This is a nice interactive BRP mapping website with lots of search options, etc.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/map.php

Old 05-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,779 Likes on 18,557 Posts

I hope you have a great time .... BUT ... The Dragon on a Holiday Weekend can be VERY CROWDED ...

Old 05-11-2017, 03:05 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I hope you have a great time .... BUT ... The Dragon on a Holiday Weekend can be VERY CROWDED ...
I have ridden the Dragon on week days and that was bad enough. To ride it on a weekend I would want to know my life insurance is paid up and I had a will. Too many crouch rockets trying to see how fast they can drive it and on your side of the road at each turn. I find it is only safe to ride the right half of your side of the road. One time I was there the Miata club was there running the Dragon. I didn't know that made that many Miatas.

Quick Reply: Blue Ridge Parkway Input