Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Western/Central PA Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:25 PM
HDavidA
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Western/Central PA Advice

Looking to go on a quick trip and needed some advice. Looking for a town or small city in Western or Central PA to spend a night. Would like the ability to park the bike and walk around after riding to get dinner and some drinks. Local breweries or brew pubs where we could get some local craft beer would be a huge plus.

Suggestions?

Old 09-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Sherwood Hotel, has a bike cleaning station
Wellsboro House for beer and great food
Downtown is nice and the Sherwood is right there

Last edited by Beaux; 09-13-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 PM
HDavidA
Tourer

Originally Posted by Beaux
Wellsboro, PA

Sherwood Hotel, has a bike cleaning station
Wellsboro House for beer and great food
Downtown is nice and the Sherwood is right there
Thanks, been to Wellsboro twice, stayed at the Sherwood and ate at the Wellsboro house.

I guess I am looking more towards Altoona, State College, even for towards Pittsburgh.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:06 PM
CZshooter
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sept 16 is a Football Weekend at State College...stay away...way too much traffic, rowdy drunk students, and general idiocy. (I live about 45 minutes away, and don't go that direction on game weekends if I can avoid it.) On an "away" weekend, lots less people, accommodations are available.

Too many mid sized towns have their ugly sides coming out....the more rural the better for me. I've never been there, but plan to go soon - friends tell me the Elk are out in Benezette, PA.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:21 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CZshooter
Sept 16 is a Football Weekend at State College...stay away...way too much traffic, rowdy drunk students, and general idiocy. (I live about 45 minutes away, and don't go that direction on game weekends if I can avoid it.) On an "away" weekend, lots less people, accommodations are available.

Too many mid sized towns have their ugly sides coming out....the more rural the better for me. I've never been there, but plan to go soon - friends tell me the Elk are out in Benezette, PA.
I have a great friends that own Benezette Wines .......... the elk are bugling right now. They even have some lodgings ................

Old 09-14-2017, 11:30 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Pittsburgh is a "LITTLE" big city...... so there's gonna be a lot of hotels/motels to crash. You can walk or catch a cab/uber to the South Side which is nothing but bars and restaurants. There's also Station Square which I believe has the Marriot hotel there. It's another area where there's a ton of bars and restaurants. On a good weekend with nice weather there's plenty of stuff to get into

Old 09-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior

Ligonier, PA ............ Diamond Square

Old 09-15-2017, 12:09 PM
HDavidA
Tourer

Originally Posted by CZshooter

thanks, we are not going until early October, just planning ahead but will keep football weekends in mind.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:10 PM
HDavidA
Tourer

Originally Posted by MatteGlide15
Pittsburgh is a "LITTLE" big city...... so there's gonna be a lot of hotels/motels to crash. You can walk or catch a cab/uber to the South Side which is nothing but bars and restaurants. There's also Station Square which I believe has the Marriot hotel there. It's another area where there's a ton of bars and restaurants. On a good weekend with nice weather there's plenty of stuff to get into
thanks, love Pittsburgh. Been there more times than I can recall. Looking for something smaller, more laid back.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:38 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

I live in Altoona but we have a Park Model in a great campground in Bedford and we spend a great deal of time there. Bedford is a great small town, has a few nice motels and a very nice historic one about 5 miles out of town. Bedford Springs which was totally redone about 10 years ago. 5 star plush place. Bedford is a super walk around little town. Now the first full two weekends are fall foliage weekends and a bit busy with a bunch of vendors selling there crafts.