Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis or oshkosh?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 06:10 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
I've considered Oshkosh before, but I see airplanes at work all the time. And, I tend to like skanky chicks, so. . . 😁
Yea, but these are all home builds for the most part.
Interesting stuff!

Old 01-04-2019, 07:04 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Oshkosh is an hour from my Wisconsin home and I go every year. I still fly and it's always an awesome experience for me. Speaking of experiences, if you are in Oshkosh you aren't too far from Doc's HD west of Green Bay. It's a very unique dealership. Check out the link https://www.docshd.com/

The following 2 users liked this post by KJB:
IzzoQuazzo (01-04-2019), Kingglide549 (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 01:29 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

As a pilot myself do Oshkosh! I've gone 6-7 times over the past 20 years. I drove twice, flew in 2 or 3 times, and rode in twice. I camped on site all but once when I was there with my wife and kids. The site is roughly 4-5 square miles plus you can take a short bus ride to the seaplane base and see a bunch of seaplanes

Camping on site is the best way to go if you camp as there are activities at night that you would miss. Each night they have a fly in movie where they show a different aviation themed movie each night, presentations in the "Theater in the Woods" where I saw a cool talk from a former Air force 1 pilot, concerts, etc. Plus if there is a plane you really want to see with no crowds you can check it out first thing in the morning

They have all kinds of speakers - I got to hear the Flying Tigers, Chuck Yeager and Bud Anderson, Charles McGee who was a Tuskegee airman, Burt Rutan talk about his solo around the world flight, someone from NASA talk about the space program including the joint US-USSR mission.

I literally bumped into Cliff Robertson (20 years ago) and got drug over to a table by Sean Tucker who was signing posters and no one noticed

I've seen the Supper Guppy, Space Ship 1, a WB57, Vickers Vimmy, AC47 Spooky gunship, a Connie, Gee Bee racer, and more than I can remember at Aeroshell Square. In the grounds themselves almost every US warbird at least once plus several British, Russian Yaks, Beech Staggerwings, Curtis Robins, Cessna 190's, everything you have heard of and many you have not. And in 2016 I saw the mars Bomber, however she had hit a rock taxiing the prior day and they were trying to keep her from sinking rather than allowing tours or flying her. Go figure!

As far as camping facilities, it is an open grass field for the most part. You simply park and set up camp. No defined sites so you use the space you need. But it is need, you cannot spread out and take up a 20 X 60 area for your single man tent and your car/bike. They do have some sites with hookups for campers.. And if I recall correctly there were companies who would set up a pop up camper for you to rent and you could show up and use it. I saw that many years ago and no idea who did that or if it is still done. They do have bath houses that are fairly clean. They do a good job cleaning them but obviously if you go to use one at 8am after a thousand people have already done so then it's not going to be spotless. At the same time it will still be nicer than most any other public bath house. It can be a bit of a hike to the entrance from the camping area however they have shuttles to move you back and forth. I did see some motorcycle parking near the gates but never thought to use it as I figured I would be walking all day anyway so what's another 10-15 minutes. Plenty of food in the show grounds but it can get limited after hours. Usually there are a few places open for breakfast at 6am.

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Interesting stuff!
Not true, there are also tons of warbirds from WWII (where else can you se 15-20 P-51's at one place), classic aircraft from the 20's on up, military aircraft, etc. Pulling a number out of the air I'd say 30-40% are homebuilts

My campsites in 2010 and 2016

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Interesting stuff!
Not true, there are also tons of warbirds from WWII (where else can you se 15-20 P-51's at one place), classic aircraft from the 20's on up, military aircraft, etc. Pulling a number out of the air I'd say 30-40% are homebuilts

Last edited by cacomly; 01-04-2019 at 01:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IzzoQuazzo (01-04-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 04:18 PM
Redfish911
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I used to fly into Sun & Fun every year. I would love to go to Oshkosh. Dad and I always talked about going but I lost him in 2015. However we have a Sturgis trip planned for this summer.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

I know ,I know, I met Pappy Boyington there.

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:01 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Redfish911
I used to fly into Sun & Fun every year. I would love to go to Oshkosh. Dad and I always talked about going but I lost him in 2015. However we have a Sturgis trip planned for this summer.
Sorry you lost your dad without making it there. I am in the same boat, I always wanted my father to go with me and never found the time. Now he is in the middle stages of dementia and just cannot do the trip.

My suggestion is go, I am sure your dad would want you to go.