Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

HOG Roadside assistance? Yes/No?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:53 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For a few bucks a year, I added it to my progressive insurance policy. They tow up to 150 miles ( maybe more but at least 150 miles). I had to get towed last year after 10 pm on a Sunday 125 miles home, flat tire. Anyway, they did not have a participating company in the area. I had to call the local sheriff's department and get them to help me find a tow company. $400.00 later I was home. Progressive reimburse me within 2 weeks.
How far will HOG tow you?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:41 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I talked to my wife and we decided to go with AAA+RV, for the bikes sake, that's available here in WA. Also added her for $15, so she has it with her wherever she is. Being that I am a HOG member anyways and they will tow to an authorized dealer, and having AAA and all it's other benefits we should be good to go. She drives a lot with her job and has always wanted a good roadside assistance. Not to mention all the discounts AAA offers for motels, and so many other places I wouldn't have thought of.

Our trip alone will probably pay for the membership. Like the lady said on the phone, "I hope I never have to hear from you again". I have it and hope I never need it, but having it gives us both piece of mind. Having both HOG and AAA we should be able to find someone who will take care of us should we have a problem.

Thanks for all the comments and replies. Hopefully I won't need to use it and be right back on here to give my .02 on it...........

Old 06-01-2009, 12:48 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your H.O.G. membership also gives you special rates at all Best Westerns......but
AAA is never a BAD thing to have......and their maps, trip planning service and discounts ( like you said) do come in handy. We have Direct TV......and a couple years ago, Direct TV gave us a $50.00 discount off our bill each year for for 2 years if were a AAA member. WE have Direct TV hooked up in 2 homes so that came to $200 off our bills!!!! Thank you AAA
In this day and age, one can never have too much protection when out on the roads.....either in a car, RV or bike.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:59 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

I spent a while last night, looking on their "trip-tik" site. It's a one of the best mapping programs I've used, and much faster and less error-prone than HOG ride planner. It shows the hotels, gas and anything in town that offers a discount for AAA.

I did use the HOG card for discounts at Best Westerns last year, but I checked the AAA and the same place is $15 a night cheaper with AAA. And I checked the rate just a few days ago using the HOG discount, since we are staying at the same motel again this year in Boise, ID.

Hopefully the only thing I use it for is discounts, and not a freakin tow.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:03 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Ain't that the truth. We worry because of having tubes in our tires. Love the look of laced, but hate knowing there are tubes inside while traveling.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

I may check into that "Ride-On" stuff mentioned above. I'm going to call my Indy and see what he thinks of the stuff. But, I do take the bike to him and have the spokes all checked and the belt adjusted before I head on a trip. That's another "piece of mind" for me.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:44 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Yea...... I see it works "somewhat" with tubed tires.... and wont harm aluminum.
Might not be a bad idea to get some of that "ride on" and tuck it away. That's our biggest concern...picking up a nail or rolling over a piece of glass or other sharp object while cruising at top speeds, or even hitting a good sized pot hole you cant see until it's too late.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:14 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
For a few bucks a year, I added it to my progressive insurance policy. They tow up to 150 miles ( maybe more but at least 150 miles). I had to get towed last year after 10 pm on a Sunday 125 miles home, flat tire. Anyway, they did not have a participating company in the area. I had to call the local sheriff's department and get them to help me find a tow company. $400.00 later I was home. Progressive reimburse me within 2 weeks.
How far will HOG tow you?
Short answer to your above question - to the NEAREST HD dealer that can take care of your problem.. Last time I had to use it - I was on Highway 1 in the area of San Simion Ca... had a flat (damaged tire) got a tow to Santa Maria - this was Sunday,,,, stayed at Holiday Inn next door... (this was a LONG tow) Monday, dealer opened - NO service - called HOG back and told them the problem - HOG said they would tow me to Fresno Ca (nearest HD dealer open on Monday to change the tire... However, the local tow company refused to tow me to Fresno eventhough HOG would pay them... So, the problem was with local tow and NOT HOG... Problem was solved by finding a local Non HD shop to change the tire and HOG did pay for the second tow... I was frustrated with Santa Maria HD and local Tow but not with HOG - they did their best and finally took care of the problem..

I just got off the phone with Local AAA - IF I had THEIR M/C insurance they could add a tow but NOT just on my AAA Plus Emergency Road Service Card.

Like I said in my above post... I suggest Everyone make calls and do all this homework before leaving on a trip,,,, learn the in's/out's of your tow package before you need it.. I will stay with HOG - needed them twice in the past 11 years and each time, they fixed the problem

Ride-on tire repair... Not sure if I would bet on it for tube tires... However, on tubeless tires, It works great... I even went so far as to go to their "customer comment" page... there the people listed their name and state... got on the computer and did some searching - actually ended up talking to three people who left comments.. all backed up their story... I put on new tires in April this year after the product had been in the tires for some time... Shop person said it was not bad at all and cleaned up with a we rag.... I told them up front about the Ride-on and he just raised his eye brows, lol... Later said he was expecting something like "slime" which is a MESS - Ride-on was NOT and did NO damage to anything... after I got the bike home, I put it back in both tires... Its cheap insurance and does No damgae or mess..

Old 06-01-2009, 02:23 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by LWOS
Yea...... I see it works "somewhat" with tubed tires.... and wont harm aluminum.
Might not be a bad idea to get some of that "ride on" and tuck it away. That's our biggest concern...picking up a nail or rolling over a piece of glass or other sharp object while cruising at top speeds, or even hitting a good sized pot hole you cant see until it's too late.

Unless your "Indy" is aware of Ride-on = most likley he will shake his head - just like my mech - he did not know the product and thought it was a "slime" type thing???

Be aware - it is Not something you can tuck away for after the problem... it goes in BEFORE and just stays there (waiting for that nail)..

Call the company and talk to them - ya, they sell it but there do have good info and are NOT pushy... also look at the customer comment page

http://www.ride-on.com/test_motorcycle.asp

Old 06-01-2009, 02:40 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley0711
Unless your "Indy" is aware of Ride-on = most likley he will shake his head - just like my mech - he did not know the product and thought it was a "slime" type thing???

Be aware - it is Not something you can tuck away for after the problem... it goes in BEFORE and just stays there (waiting for that nail)..

Call the company and talk to them - ya, they sell it but there do have good info and are NOT pushy... also look at the customer comment page

http://www.ride-on.com/test_motorcycle.asp
I understand. How easy is the stuff to install? I read their instructions, but I want a real world review. Does it take just a 3-5 mile ride like they say, to coat the inner-tube?

Quick Reply: HOG Roadside assistance? Yes/No?