Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Yes, we took our Harley on a cruise ship!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:35 PM
sharod
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, we took our Harley on a cruise ship!!

OK folks, here is a trip report on the motorcycle cruise that the hubby and I took April 18-27, 2013. The ship was Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas, which departs from Bayonne, NJ.

We left home the day before the cruise departed. A very easy, less than 4 hour ride from south-central PA to Staten Island, New York. We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites. HIGHLY recommend this hotel. The have a stay/park/cruise package. The total cost, including the Bruce Willis Die Hard for the Millionth Time movie, was $185. That's a bargain. People who drove straight to the port and parked their vehicle/enclosed trailers paid $342. We stayed in a very nice hotel, had a hot breakfast, and I took the free shuttle to the port with all the luggage the next morning. Rod rode along behind the shuttle on the bike. It was less than 9 miles from the hotel to the port. Again, a very easy trip.

Once at the port, Rod took the bike to the staging area next to the ship. Once all bikes were there, the bikes were loaded on. But not before the drug dogs gave them a once over. Hint, if they sit, you got some explaining to do. And, no, the dog never sat!

The drivers then walked over to the terminal to check-in with anyone they were traveling with. A fairly quick line, process your boarding, take a shuttle to the ship, and you are ready to start your cruise!!!

More coming in a little bit!!

Last edited by sharod; 05-10-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 PM
sharod
Intermediate

The bikes are stored on deck 1, crew area. Only the driver is allowed to access his/her bike. There is a special pass that they must have with them. Access is allowed 24/7

This is the pass.

Bikes on the ship. No tie-downs. Just a chock, turn your handlebars and lock, put it in gear. Or at least that is what I am told. Hubby did all the manual labor. The bikes did not move.

When you arrive at a port, all the drivers come together to push the bikes off. You can't fire them up until they are outside.

This is what the rider's do as the bikes are being unloaded. Nothing!

Old 05-10-2013, 08:04 PM
TheQueb
Intermediate

More info on the cruise please... Is that a normal thing for that cruise or was it a once every blue moon kind of thing? I've been on several cruises and have never seen bikes loaded or unloaded from them. Would have LOVED to ride around in Cayman or Jamaica!

Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Bigpoppa_Junior
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's awesome! I'm from jersey so ill have to try this. Where does the cruise go?

Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 PM
sharod
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheQueb
More info on the cruise please... Is that a normal thing for that cruise or was it a once every blue moon kind of thing? I've been on several cruises and have never seen bikes loaded or unloaded from them. Would have LOVED to ride around in Cayman or Jamaica!

Originally Posted by Bigpoppa_Junior
That's awesome! I'm from jersey so ill have to try this. Where does the cruise go?
You must book with these people http://www.cruise-eta.com/ Click on ETA events. No one else offers this kind of trip. They leave from NJ and FL. Check out their website, they have all the info. They offer numerous cruises every year on Royal and Celebrity. We did the Eastern Caribbean with Bermuda, but they offer other itineraries too. If you can't find what you are looking for on their site, just ask me.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 PM
sharod
Intermediate

Sail-away was very breezy and chilly. But I had to see the Statue of Liberty, Freedom Tower, and the To the Struggle to End World Terrorism memorial.

Once we went under the Bayonne Bridge, we went back inside.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:47 PM
sharod
Intermediate

Here are a few pics of the inside of the ship.

Cabin

Royal Promenade

The Chamber, our favorite place to listen to music and drink.

Dancing in the Chamber

"Quick, take a picture before I get caught"

More to come including island pics and videos.

Busy weekend. I'll be back as soon as I can find the time!

Old 05-10-2013, 08:49 PM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have piqued my interest... Wonder if/how much it REALLY matters which cruise/ship you go on... Will be checking-in for more info/pics...

Last edited by user_1534GD; 05-11-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:53 PM
tryus
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow! That's the coolest thing, I never knew! Give us more!

Old 05-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to the updates. Wife and I booked the eight night one out of Ft Lauderdale Feb 1, 2014. Can't wait. FT

Quick Reply: Yes, we took our Harley on a cruise ship!!