Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Sirius XM reception TERRIBLE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 08:09 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Easiest thing to do I pull fairing off and relocate to the upper inner corner next to outer bolt hole for windshield above speaker. Use some emblem tape for the antenna or stick the whole metal plate with it. Fits nicely and I get 3 full bars of signal everywhere without having the antenna exposed.

The following users liked this post:
brucea4 (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 08:23 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
If you were to actually take off your outer fairing and see first hand what we are talking about making that tiny slit you wouldnt be concerned about messing up your custom paint. There is NO way you can see it.
True. But I'd rather not have to have the antenna on top of the dash to begin with. And then if I decide I dont want the XM subscription anymore, Id be putting the antenna back inside. Would the slot show then?
BTW, I think if I were to do so, Id notch the vent instead of the fairing itself.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:16 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

The tiny slot would not show even if you removed the antenna. It's located on the right side of the fairing, it's not that close to the vent, I doubt the wire would reach that. Take the outer fairing off and look at the antenna and you will then understand what we are talking about.

RayHD11 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 09:13 AM
RayHD11
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brucea4
How is this done? Is there a antenna relocation kit?
The stock mount is the problem... It's on top of the radio and has the antenna pointing to the side. Simple fix you can do yourself, split open your fairing, remove the antenna from the mount, use a two sided tape and stick it to your dash. I have a 2014 Street Glide so I placed it right side between the vent and the edge of my windshield. (Opposite of the vent open button) Used a dremal tool to cut a small groove so not to pinch the wire. Problem solved...looks great. I did this back in 14 when I first purchased my SG and never had to upgrade or do any further changes to have good signal again. Due to satellite positions, if I'm in a downtown area with tall high rise buildings, or in canyon areas where the view to the south is blocked, I do loose signal but that will happen with any satellite coms. The other nice feature there is a channel you can get that places a live weather radar on the screen for you...

Old 09-30-2017, 07:14 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Located in northern VA. Same results with 12 FLHTK and 16 FLHTKSE. Works well in most areas. A few places I have only a few areas with spotty cut outs, to include stretch of road near home. But reception is consistently spotty on bike and in cars with Sirius/XM. Seems to be sketchy signal from satellite or there is localized earth-based interference.

No idea if I have newer antenna version in CVO.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:59 AM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 222 Posts

I have always relocated that puck to the top of all my bikes, hated the look but I always pinched the wiring it never caused a problem. My biggest fear of cutting Into the fairing has been, If for any reason water seeped its way Into the fairing and caused and electrical Issue, your warranty will not cover It as you compromised the Integrity of the fairing. This came directly from customer service at HD.

brucea4 (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 10:38 AM
brucea4
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 30glock
I have always relocated that puck to the top of all my bikes, hated the look but I always pinched the wiring it never caused a problem. My biggest fear of cutting Into the fairing has been, If for any reason water seeped its way Into the fairing and caused and electrical Issue, your warranty will not cover It as you compromised the Integrity of the fairing. This came directly from customer service at HD.
I guess I'm screwed because I am not cutting or drilling any holes in my fairing. I have the extended warranty. I was hoping that HD or some aftermarket company manufactured a antenna relocation kit but it appears not.....

Old 10-19-2017, 09:14 AM
FLHTK2015
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brucea4
Hopefully someone makes or will make a antenna relocation kit because I ain't putting any holes or slits in the custom paint.....
I used a Dremel tool on low speed with a small, round (3/32") carbide mill and just laid it sideways into the plastic. Made a perfect notch, and clean with no burr. The edge is smooth so as not to cut into the antenna wire jacket. @brucea4, unless your bike is different than mine, I have a painted inner fairing as well. (2015 Ultra Limited) The piece that gets notched is just a black textured plastic and could be replaced down the road at minimal cost if you really felt the need to 'undo' it. It's the piece that surrounds the vent outlet behind the windshield.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:07 AM
no1martian
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Poor engineering

Very disappointing that the reception is so poor. They likely knew it was an issue as this is an extensively tested feature by OEM’s. If they had elected to put a “buffer” in the Sirius feed like car companies it would have also helped.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:48 PM
coach127
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I have noticed even on my pickup the XM radio cuts out of late. Not sure what the problem is but not to impressed.

Quick Reply: Sirius XM reception TERRIBLE?