Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Boom Box Navigation Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:19 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy Boom Box Navigation Disappointment

Is anyone as disappointed with the Boom Box Navigation functionality as I am? I do not use the audio features of the Boom Box because I am hard of hearing.

I have been an IBA member for years and enjoy Long Distant riding. This new Boom Box Navigation system rivals the Harley Harman Kardon Navigation system that came with my 2009 CVO as being next to useless. I expected so much more on a $40K plus CVO. Perhaps I don’t know how to configure it. I took a ride wherein I was alerted to low fuel and it asked if I wanted a route to the nearest fuel stop. It responded that there was a Circle K 76 miles East. In actuality there was a Circle K 3 miles east and it had been there for years! I was on a major highway and 4 miles East was Grand Canyon Harley. So much for nearest fuel. This Boom Box lacks so many features I enjoy on my Garmin 660. Again, maybe I do not understand how to use it. I miss have the Time of day displayed on the Map. Or for that matter when setting time zones the Boom has ignored Arizona. I also miss the current Speed and Speed Limit. It’s helpful riding through various speed zones to understand (not rely on) the speed limit. But while touring I have my Garmin setup to show Elevation, Sunrise, Sunset, Moving Time and so many more options. If I’m looking for Fuel, Food, Lodging etc. I can search by Where I Am Now, A Different City, My Current Route or My Destination. I can find none of this feature/functionality on the Navigation System that came preinstalled on my 2018 CVO Limited. In addition, my Garmin has free lifetime updates and I can create routes on my PC and upload to my Garmin.

I am considering mounting my Garmin similarly as I did on my 09 CVO and pulling the fuse on the Boom Box. Once again I may be ignorant of the Boom Box Navigation functionality. Is there anyone else that is as dissatisfied as I and contemplating a change or is there anyone that can help me find the missing functionality?

My 2018 CVO Limited is a Touring motorcycle that should have a full featured Navigation system. I do not this the Boom Box fits that description!

Old 06-12-2018, 09:15 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,956 Likes on 2,351 Posts

I suggest you read the infotainment system manual. On lower left and right of nav screen you have options of what you want displayed there. You can also toggle through them while riding. If say your on a route you can select where you want to search for say food, or hotel or fuel or water ever. You can choose near location, near destination, along route.

If say subway is your favorite lunch stop, and BP your favorite gas you can set them to be your favorite search.

Some things its way better than the Garmin, others its lacking. I like being able to search for hotel near location, then the option to call to see if they have a room. It takes a few hours to learn all it can do.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:42 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Received 217 Likes on 110 Posts

Read the manual. The system will do most everything you want except the Speed Limit.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:03 AM
biglew55
Road Captain

Received 435 Likes on 233 Posts

I mounted my Garmin z590 on my handlebars and moved on. The Boom! Navigation is very limited in what it can do compared to the Garmin. If you need the audio prompts, buy the harness and plug in the Garmin. The Boom! can be set up for "Tone Interrupt" so you can hear the instructions over the speakers.

I used RAM mounting for the z590 and now have all the features you listed that the Boom! lacks. Also, I use the Boom for "overview" duty, leaving it zoomed out a bit, which can help when things get congested.

The following users liked this post:
zubaugh (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Well I hate to jump in here because I want to love everything on my bike BUT... 14 cvo limited and was riding up to lake Gaston area from Raleigh. The local roads were not all represented in the nav maps data base and these roads were clearly at least 10...20..30 years old. I could not nav in to my destination. Had to stop and check maps on the phone. The maps version has not been updated cz I'm not paying 150 bucks for a questionable data base. I'm with thosewho say these bikes are stupid expensive... harley's jewels. And they don't hire Garmin to do this work!!?? Should be the best of everything and charge accordingly.

The following 2 users liked this post by 06Ultraman:
H2ODR (07-14-2018), zubaugh (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 08:57 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Default Rtfm

Originally Posted by ramblin5
Read the manual. The system will do most everything you want except the Speed Limit.
RTFM is good advice. I missed the continuation of Table 39 on page 146. I did not see Elevation listed in the manual but it is an option on the actual data fields. I am looking for a "Detour" button as when touring it is very helpful. I will keep re-reading. So far I have seen nothing that the Garmin does not have and some missing.

Thank you for your response

ramblin5 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:38 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 06Ultraman
Well I hate to jump in here because I want to love everything on my bike BUT... 14 cvo limited and was riding up to lake Gaston area from Raleigh. The local roads were not all represented in the nav maps data base and these roads were clearly at least 10...20..30 years old. I could not nav in to my destination. Had to stop and check maps on the phone. The maps version has not been updated cz I'm not paying 150 bucks for a questionable data base. I'm with thosewho say these bikes are stupid expensive... harley's jewels. And they don't hire Garmin to do this work!!?? Should be the best of everything and charge accordingly.
I'm not surprised! I recently got a Low Fuel Alert and prompted for nearby gas stations. My “Where To” destination was 4 miles east on a major highway so although it showed several gas stations I already passed I browsed in the direction I was headed and it showed the nearest (Circle K) 76 mi away. I figured I would stop at my destination and afterwards go back to one I passed. But low and behold, within 3 miles there was a Circle K and like your roads, it had been there for years. I’d hate to rely on this BOOM Nav while riding between San Antonio and El Paso on Hwy 10. I got stuck one time and my Garmin saved my behind by finding a gas stop 16 miles North, and it was right on!

I will keep trying to learn this BOOM Nav but I will also carry my Garmin.

BTW: I paid a one time $129 over 9 years ago for free lifetime updates on my Zumo 660. I run Garmin express on my PC and it lets me know when new updates are available and updating becomes a piece of cake :-)

Old 06-13-2018, 02:24 PM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 202 Posts

I replaced my radio and put in a sony with apple and android car play way nicer

Bumpandrun (07-15-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:50 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

I like the functionality of the boom system when connected to sirrius weather and traffic. I just wish they would actually update the maps periodically. It would be great if all of the gps systems would use the google maps interface, that actually has up to date road closures and updated roads.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:04 AM
Hecster7
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the "current speed" is a selectable option on the nav page as well.

Quick Reply: Boom Box Navigation Disappointment