Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

I'm in here now

Old 07-19-2017, 03:11 PM
kymoonshine
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm in here now

Hello,
Old guy here from Kentucky, been riding Shovelheads for about 30 years or more and finally forced myself into a new "Modern" Evo, I said I would never do it but I'll admit having five gears and smooth power has been nice, I wanted so much to hate the new bike (1995 Electa Glide Classic) but the more I ride it the more I like it, maybe in another 20 years I'll upgrade to a fancy Twincam.

I'm here because this new fancy bike has created questions that decades of Shovel ownership can not answer.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Ask away, I too am an old biker, 1 shovel, 1 evo and 3 Twin cams experience. That shovel was nice but the EVO is more maintenance free.

Think we'll need a jar of white liqr to continue this tho

Old 07-19-2017, 03:26 PM
kymoonshine
6th Gear

Thanks man, yeah I built my current Shovel about 20 years ago and it has only let me down twice in all those years and both times were a cracked coil in torrential downpours, and I ride a lot. I still trust it more than the Evo right now lol. I will own the Shovel till I turn in my bones and leaving it to my youngest brother.
I am mostly trying to figure an oil pressure warning light at this time. I have installed a 2012 Batwing(which wasn't the easiest job) seat and wide rear fender on the 95. But most pictures I see online of where the Evo oil sending unit for the light/gauge is in front of the motor around the oil filter, but my 95 does not have one there, it has the usual stuff on the oil pump like a Shovel and I could put a gauge down there I guess but I would prefer a light on Batwing as I hear Evos don't carry much oil pressure at idle and I would just worry and try to look down at the gauge all the time.

And yes a jar of my finest can be yours

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-19-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Green Dart
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 168 Posts

Being new to riding and H-D, I know I missed out on something with a start this late in my life - I've heard some good stories!

So I've been around mechanicals long enough to appreciate all the new gizmos found in today's vehicles - and they're great until you need to plug it in and run diagnostics through a computer to figure out why it wont start. If I long for the old days, well there's that Dart in my garage with a 340, 4 barrel carb, 4 speed and dual point distributor. If it wont start, grab that spare ballast resistor in the glove box and replace it. Ahhh... nothing like the smell of un-burnt gasoline in the morning.

Welcome aboard.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:01 AM
kymoonshine
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Green Dart
Being new to riding and H-D, I know I missed out on something with a start this late in my life - I've heard some good stories!

Welcome aboard.
Thanks Dart, Yeah I love old motorcycles and cars, I am an air-cooled Volkswagen mechanic and appreciate simplicity, but at least you did start, even late in life, you will have adventures

So I posted this in the New Member section and now it is in the Shovel section, its like the internet knew my people

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-21-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:41 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 498 Posts

check out the evo section!

Old 07-20-2017, 11:29 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome aboard...potato,potato,potato

Old 07-21-2017, 09:51 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Did you get your answer? Seems to me on the '89 Evo I had, the oil pressure sending unit was on the top of the oil pump, inboard, directly behind the lifter stool for the back cylinder. I looked through all the old pictures i have and found only 1 where i only saw a yellow or tan wire with black heat shrink on the connector end. But the picture is too dark to see the sending unit.