Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Starter gear/bendix removal procedure

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 08:26 AM
jakwi
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter gear/bendix removal procedure

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. The starter bendix on my Stock 75flh started squealing last night, and so it seems that I need to replace it. At this point it will still start it, but only after spending some time squealing and generally making a fuss. I pulled the primary cover this morning, and I'm trying to figure out what the order of operations should be or if there is a quick way to swap it out. I was hoping I'd be able to remove it from the primary side without removing the starter, but I can't see anyway to do that. The clutch starter ring seems to be in the way for that to happen.

So can anyone give me a simple list. ie first starter, then x or whatever so that I'm not just tearing everything apart for no reason. I've searched a ton, but all the info I find is for EVO's and newer or sportys. Hopefully there is a quick trick I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-17-2017, 11:08 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I've done it just once but cannot remember. The only thing I can say now is MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE BATTERY FIRST!!!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:10 PM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 604 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by V_twins
I've done it just once but cannot remember. The only thing I can say now is MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE BATTERY FIRST!!!
Yes, definitely this is step#1. If you pull that gear out with the battery hooked up you WILL engage the starter, and your fingers will NOT like it.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:17 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

remove the starter and housing right side plus the battery - then the Bendix and the starter shaft can come out for the gear swap -- buy the factory books repair and parts

Old 09-20-2017, 02:55 PM
jakwi
Novice

I have the factory manual, and it isn't really clear on what needs to come out. In fact it mentions "disengaging" the bendix which makes it sound like pry them apart so that the bendix can come out. This is exactly what I did, and it worked well. End of the day it is a lot quicker than taking the starter out, and the oil tank.

Anyway it's working now, so thanks for the help.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:44 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jakwi
I have the factory manual, and it isn't really clear on what needs to come out. In fact it mentions "disengaging" the bendix which makes it sound like pry them apart so that the bendix can come out. This is exactly what I did, and it worked well. End of the day it is a lot quicker than taking the starter out, and the oil tank.

Anyway it's working now, so thanks for the help.
the starter may work after gorilla the thing out -- but you vacuum system if you have a return system and a chain drive for the oil is now not working

Old 09-21-2017, 08:01 AM
jakwi
Novice

So what are you saying, that there is a seal I broke on the jackshaft?

And the symptom will be that the primary will fill up with oil?

Old 09-21-2017, 09:14 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

its a thin tin plate with a rubber o ring in a groove, and sometimes a coupe a gaskets between the starter inner primary cover and the inner primary - not strong is its sealing in the first place, not saying that actually happened but it might have as its what it is

Old 09-22-2017, 05:30 AM
jakwi
Novice

Well thanks for the pointer, I'll keep an close eye on it. Hopefully I won't have to tear it apart again.

thanks again for the help

Old 12-29-2018, 11:20 PM
x392
6th Gear

How did you prevent the starter shaft from turning so you can unscrew the nut (left hand thread) in the end of the starter shaft? this nut holds the Bendix gear on. On my 1984 shovel there is a nut there. I am also trying to avoid removing the battery and starter etc.

Quick Reply: Starter gear/bendix removal procedure