Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Crap!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 10:56 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts
Default Crap!

Last year when I bought a 1980 FLT from the original owner he warned me about not locking the saddle bag lid. I had not ridden it since about a year ago and today I was moving it to the new space in another town where it will be stored. I put some items in the saddlebag and then aired the tires up. Did a couple of other tasks and took off. 25 miles latter at the new garage I got off and saw the right side lid was gone. I recovered the route three times and could not locate it.

Stopped at the dealer just before closing and the parts guy looked in a building that contains all the old stash that Roger Reiman had in the 80's and 90's. He came out with a right side lid. It was nicked up but a little bondo, sanding and paint (vivid black) it should work well. My intention to detail cost $50.

Priceless was the 150 miles on a 39 year old bike that rode and ran great!

Old 10-08-2018, 11:33 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Wow haven't most of us been down that road before! Lost the right saddlebag top on my 65 many moons ago while headed into work. Losing the lid wasn't so bad as having a bunch of paper come out and spread itself onto the roadway. The paper was students test. Rcovered all the paper but lost the lid (crushed by cars). Tire tread marks on the papers made for interesting discussions once graded and returned.

Glad you wer able to find a replacement lid.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Lost a few bag lids, feel your pain.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:28 AM
Squidbilly*
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

Mines a 79,
A different set hard bags as your FLT,

I used a Length of black wire cutoff to tie up the hinge holes/slots to safeguard the locks as they have a tendency to work their way loose,
After time on the roads&adjusting the locks the lids stay put,
Still keep the wire on them just in case as I don't feel like loosing them,
Also used the same wire the rest that I had to braid a loop inside the right hand hardbag to hold my coffee cup/HD stainless coffee mug with the handle/I don't know what the hell its called/I use it for work&other stuff around the house&drink outta it every day&my wife keeps threating to toss it out but its still good shape,

Point being,

Rig up a safety catch on the hinge,
On those rides with the older scoots can be a lot of fun,

Old 10-09-2018, 06:17 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i drilled a hole in the tab and put a hair pin thru it to hold the lid on if i forget to lock the cover. a piece of leather shoe lace keep the pin from being lost.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:31 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

My last set I drilled a hole in the tab and used a couple small key rings to keep them on, saved a lid that way. For some reason my left side bag loved coming loose. 4X4 replacing the foam seal on the lids every couple years helps, gets old hardens up they rattle more.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (12-20-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 07:43 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by bagga

i drilled a hole in the tab and put a hair pin thru it to hold the lid on if i forget to lock the cover. a piece of leather shoe lace keep the pin from being lost.
Been doing this since the Early '80's!!! Learned from a Greybeard... reinforced by friendly Indy... gotta get out some...

Old 10-09-2018, 05:08 PM
old mago
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 653 Posts

gotta say when i bought my HD i read on this forum about guys losing their bag lids...so iam always checking that they're locked before i set off.....once again thanks guys !!! your experience is my gain

Old 10-09-2018, 05:58 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

I had a chick fall of riding on the beach in 1971 at Daytona I guess she got home ok

Old 10-09-2018, 06:18 PM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

when I was a prospect I was given the task of riding a drunk chick to the club house-- at the time I had a 56 pan with a 16 over springer and a king/queen seat -- I bungee corded the chick onto the bike -- she was blabben away as I rode down the street-- 2 cops saw me and pulled me over-- now being cold weather she started to sober up-- the cops just laughed their butts off -- my job was to get her there still drunk -- that didn't happen -- she was cool about it and we still had fun -- its a sight to see - a drunk chick wrapped in bungee cords

Quick Reply: Crap!