Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Keihin float bowl gasket issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:40 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keihin float bowl gasket issues

Now I remember why I hate Keihin carbs. That float bowl o ring has taken me 'over the edge' more than once!!!!!
Anybody know of a 'fix' other than throwing the carb as far as possible and installing a S&S?? You can take the bowl off several times and everything works just great. But just when you are in a hurry it always seems to swell up and absolutly will not fit back into the groove.
Sorry, just venting again!!

Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

msgtarmor,
When ya scrape together enough dough to get a different carb, you could take a six pound (or heavier) sledge to the old one and make some "fine" adjustments to it. That might make ya feel better. Or make use it as a target to sight in your favorite firearm.
Maybe those older carbs are getting harder to find and you could make a buck or two from selling it.
I am very happy with my S&S E but they are pricey.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer

At this point, I'm thinkin the sledge hammer sounds about right!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What's happening to that oring is the gas today mainly ethanol The alcohol attacks the oring Try to use hi test without ethanol or see if someone manufactures viton oring gaskets for your keihen

Old 04-21-2009, 10:43 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer

So I noticed today that the o-ring has shrunk back to original size. That's cool but doesnt help when you have to put it back together NOW!!!! In the past I've tried puting the o-ring in a freezer or laying it atop a cold soda can with limited success. Just another one of those frustrating things that irks me to no end, but I still wont trade it for a Jap bike!!!!
I'll look for those other o-rings. An S&S is an option but will change the look of the bike.
Thanks!!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:09 PM
78fxs78
Banned

They do shrink back but if it helps keep a spare handy if you can. I've always had that same problem working on car fuel tanks, when you drop them to change the fuel sender or pump in the tank. Cars have a fat ring and you can't stuff it back in till they dry down. I wouldn't get rid of the Keihin, they get a bad rap because the don't get set up right. I have 'em on both my '78's original, work fine and I worked on many of them when they were new.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:23 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer

[ I have 'em on both my '78's original, work fine and I worked on many of them when they were new.[/QUOTE]

So what jetting do you use? My old shovel has problems when I'm riding up steep inclines. It loses power and backfires out the exhaust. It is a stock 1971 74 ci with a J grind Andrews cam. I can usually down shift to third and it's ok but obviously ya gotta run a little slower.
The butterfly keihin I have on it now is off an early evo. I'm running a 66 slow jet and 170 main. I did have a 70 slow jet but it fowled the plugs pretty fast. I'm about 500' above sea level here.
Any ideas?!!