Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

'82 fxr

Old 05-15-2012, 10:30 PM
schwinnanator
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '82 fxr

Going to look at an '82 FXR tomorrow. Any tips or what I should look for?

Old 05-16-2012, 11:29 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mostly just use common sense! Also make sure the engine vin# is the same as the frame Vin # (minus the first few digits) which should match the title vin #. Other than that, test ride it like you stole it (carefully)! That way it'll get good and hot. While you're riding, check for blue smoke, pinging under hard acceleration, knocking at cruising or slightly slowing, (light ticking is normal). The 'rubber glide' should also be very smooth and little vibration while riding. More vibration is normal at idle. If you have a 'grinding' feeling while you ride that could just be a worn or misadjusted drive chain. But it could be much worse.
Check the oil. Dont be afraind if it's dark as that's normal as it nears changing time.
After you park it, check for oil leaks around the cylinders and heads and on the ground after you bullshit with the seller for a few minutes.
OK, I could keep goin here, but like I said at the first of this post, common sense. If yer gut says no. Then NO!!! Dont let him bullshit ya.
Hope this helps.
jim

Old 05-17-2012, 12:40 AM
schwinnanator
Intermediate

In the pic you can see where oil was leaking from the underside of the primary cover. The motor was dirty but ran really well, no smoke and great smooth idle. The vins matched up.

Attached Thumbnails '82 fxr-2012-05-16_16-59-00_547.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 10:05 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it's been leakin quite a while. Did ya bring it home??
jim

Old 05-18-2012, 12:13 AM
schwinnanator
Intermediate

Not yet, just went to look at it. Pretty excited about it but concerned with the oil leak and some other things. Probably going back in a few days with a mechanic to really dig into it. fingers crossed! I have so many ideas for it already. Thanks for your advice on the bike.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:09 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a 30 year old bike, there's gonna be leaks! Don't let that stop you. They can be fixed!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:10 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by schwinnanator
Not yet, just went to look at it. Pretty excited about it but concerned with the oil leak and some other things. Probably going back in a few days with a mechanic to really dig into it. fingers crossed! I have so many ideas for it already. Thanks for your advice on the bike.
\
If you didn't know it, the '82 FXR was the first year for a very significant bike in H-D's history. '82 was the first model year after the MoCo was taken back from AMF. That bike came with a small, gold winged bar and shield emblem on the front fender denoting that... if the emblem is still there. Being a rubber mount, 5-speed the '82 FXR, along with the '84 Softail and the introduction of belt drive on the '85 touring bikes were all key in Harley's return from the dead at the time. I had an '83 FXRS and it was a great bike and easily rode it many miles all across the country. Those late shovels were great motors. Put a good O-ring chain on it, maybe new sprockets and you'll be fine. The FXR's went on to become legendary. Sorry if you already knew all that, but I couldn't resist. I was just looking at the sales brochure for my '83 last week and remembering what a solid scooter that was.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:16 PM
schwinnanator
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mtgriz
\
If you didn't know it, the '82 FXR was the first year for a very significant bike in H-D's history. '82 was the first model year after the MoCo was taken back from AMF. That bike came with a small, gold winged bar and shield emblem on the front fender denoting that... if the emblem is still there. Being a rubber mount, 5-speed the '82 FXR, along with the '84 Softail and the introduction of belt drive on the '85 touring bikes were all key in Harley's return from the dead at the time. I had an '83 FXRS and it was a great bike and easily rode it many miles all across the country. Those late shovels were great motors. Put a good O-ring chain on it, maybe new sprockets and you'll be fine. The FXR's went on to become legendary. Sorry if you already knew all that, but I couldn't resist. I was just looking at the sales brochure for my '83 last week and remembering what a solid scooter that was.

The current owner mentioned something about that special shield on the front fender. The bike was recently repainted and had that hole go unfilled in case he or anyone else ever came across one to replace the original with. I still havent decided on the bike yet. It has clutch problems, owner says it was a new install but I could barely pull the lever back and its leaking oil out of the primary so if they replaced the clutch its installed wrong or the wrong clutch and why is it leaking where they did the work?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by schwinnanator
The current owner mentioned something about that special shield on the front fender. The bike was recently repainted and had that hole go unfilled in case he or anyone else ever came across one to replace the original with. I still havent decided on the bike yet. It has clutch problems, owner says it was a new install but I could barely pull the lever back and its leaking oil out of the primary so if they replaced the clutch its installed wrong or the wrong clutch and why is it leaking where they did the work?
The primary leak could be as simple as the mechanic not getting that gasket on right when he reinstalled the outer primary cover after the clutch rebuild. That's easy to do. Or, he should have tracked down a new gasket instead of trying to make the old one work. As for the tough clutch pull, that's hard to guess from here. Harley only made this rubber mount, 5-speed, shovel FXR(S) for 2 years so some parts may be a challenge to find. Might be a consideration if you don't have much experience with bikes of this vintage.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 PM
schwinnanator
Intermediate

The thought of owning this bike does make me nervous but I like a challenge. I just don't know if I can take a chance on a bike that may be a simple fix or something more severe. You guys are talking me into it with all the rarity and iconic value of the bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '82 fxr