Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing speedo to kph from mph...%$!#$% Cdn. Customs

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 06:04 PM
marksv4
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default Changing speedo to kph from mph...%$!#$% Cdn. Customs

Ok so Transport Canada doesn't allow stickers anymore to be placed over the speedo to make it compliant with bringing a bike from the US to Canada.
Just picked up a 09 Night Train and i have to change speedos before getting my inspection sticker.

Questions:

Is this hard to do? I dont have time to grab a manual need to get plates and insurance.
Does the ECU automatically calibrate the mileage back to what was on the mph speedo?
(It only has 1452 miles on her...)

Any help greatly appreciated

Old 12-15-2014, 06:19 PM
professorzoogy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marksv4
Ok so Transport Canada doesn't allow stickers anymore to be placed over the speedo to make it compliant with bringing a bike from the US to Canada.
Just picked up a 09 Night Train and i have to change speedos before getting my inspection sticker.

Questions:

Is this hard to do? I dont have time to grab a manual need to get plates and insurance.
Does the ECU automatically calibrate the mileage back to what was on the mph speedo?

my current and last bike were NT's.....both US spec speedometers....both passed federal and provincial inspections .....plated without issue in Montreal , QC . never needed to convert to KPH ......what gives

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-16-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:23 PM
marksv4
Advanced

[QUOTE=professorzoogy;13500228]
Originally Posted by marksv4

Questions:

my current and last bike were NT's.....both US spec speedometers....both passed federal and provincial inspections .....plated without issue in Montreal , QC . never needed to convert to KPH ......what gives
What gives is Canadian Tire has the contract to inspect vehicles that come North. You pay the $195 RIV fee online, they send a form that says the things required, like speedo must be in mph, or both mph and kph.
In previous times i heard they didnt give a sshit about it so i went to my local Cdn Tire to ask. Sure as **** he said he would fail it also said Transport canada dudes are sticky about it and wont accept a sticker over the mph dial.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:36 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...10-70900072--1

this speedo is kind of pricey but it marries with your bike bringing up current miles and such. pretty close to plug and play

Old 12-15-2014, 06:39 PM
professorzoogy
Tourer

If I recall.....they need a K-22 form / recall letter from HD .....pay the fees and get the inspection . Canadian Tire does them here in QC and so do a few dodge dealerships ......I have imported 2 Ducati (us spec) 1 gsxr 1100 (us spec) 2 HD night trains.....all bikes had US spec speedometers all were plated without issue ......check into an alternative to Canadian tire ......I am sure there are other places that can do the safety.....they are pretty strict over here in QC .......no reason for Transport Canada to refuse your safety over a speedo .

Old 12-15-2014, 07:11 PM
marksv4
Advanced

Originally Posted by professorzoogy
If I recall.....they need a K-22 form / recall letter from HD .....pay the fees and get the inspection . Canadian Tire does them here in QC and so do a few dodge dealerships ......I have imported 2 Ducati (us spec) 1 gsxr 1100 (us spec) 2 HD night trains.....all bikes had US spec speedometers all were plated without issue ......check into an alternative to Canadian tire ......I am sure there are other places that can do the safety.....they are pretty strict over here in QC .......no reason for Transport Canada to refuse your safety over a speedo .
Well they are strict and the speedo requirements are on the RIV form now. You pay $195 to RIV and the inspection is free with Cdn tire. Not sure if the dealer will be able to check off the form if the speedo isnt in kph

Old 12-15-2014, 07:48 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Here is the current standards for importing vehicles into Canada, and yes it does require a speedo to by calibrate to kph or be capable of both mph and kph

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/...fety/vafus.pdf

Old 12-15-2014, 08:00 PM
gmeikle
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here in Australia any ex-US imported used Harley has to have a Km/H speedo

Now that's Km/H ONLY , not MPH/KMH

In the UK the MPH is dominant , but Km/H is also "on the inside"

Some importers here open the speedo and "reface" it with a Km/H overlay sticker

Others, like my own 2008 CVO Springer used a brand new Km/H speedo , same most likely as a bike sold new in Canada

The "miles" auto converts to Km as you power up the speedo the first time

One of my mates imported an Anniversary 2008 CVO Springer having fallen in love with mine , and we used my spare "ordinary" Km/H speedo to get it past all the inspection bullshit and then we popped his brushed stainless CVO MPH speedo back in !!

I mean 80 Km/H is 50 MPH , how much more do you need haha ??

Old 12-15-2014, 09:16 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by stal94gt
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...10-70900072--1

this speedo is kind of pricey but it marries with your bike bringing up current miles and such. pretty close to plug and play
I bought one of those at Surdyke for $255 - they're now $265

http://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.a...mber=70900072A

They are very simple to install - the short data cable is used to download the odometer reading from the ECU.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:48 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1004ron
I bought one of those at Surdyke for $255 - they're now $265

http://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.a...mber=70900072A

They are very simple to install - the short data cable is used to download the odometer reading from the ECU.
$382.95 in Canada. US dealers are forbidden from shipping to Canadians.

Quick Reply: Changing speedo to kph from mph...%$!#$% Cdn. Customs