Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riser bushings and head bearings???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Daddy454
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Riser bushings and head bearings???

So I got my apes coming and I'm gonna PC my trees first.I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to replace the bottom stem bearing,due to not having the right tool to remove it.Does anybody know what size the stem is for the proper bearing?Was thinking of Timken,cuz that seems to be the popular choice.Any P/N by chance?Can I get these at a parts house local,or do I need to order it?Also,what is the general consensus as far as solid riser bushings? Was looking at the Lowbrow solid aluminum bushing set,or just some good poly bushings?'07 FXSTC.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddy454
So I got my apes coming and I'm gonna PC my trees first.I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to replace the bottom stem bearing,due to not having the right tool to remove it.Does anybody know what size the stem is for the proper bearing?Was thinking of Timken,cuz that seems to be the popular choice.Any P/N by chance?Can I get these at a parts house local,or do I need to order it?Also,what is the general consensus as far as solid riser bushings? Was looking at the Lowbrow solid aluminum bushing set,or just some good poly bushings?'07 FXSTC.
Cant help with your bearing questions but in regard to bushings; when we put 16's on my brother's Rocker the stock bushings definitely weren't up to the task of keeping things firm. Due to time constraints we didn't shop around and simply went to the dealer to pick up a set of H-D's polyurethane bushings. I'm happy to say that they worked perfectly. The bars hold nice and firm while still having the benefits of dampening from vibrations.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:13 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also had to replace the bearing on my triple trees when I had them coated on my Night Train. Because I am also curious about the solid riser bushings, I'll be following this thread. I used the poly ones when I installed 18" apes on the NT, and they stiffened it up quite a bit... But there was still a lot of flex with the 18's. I'd be curious to hear if others have used them.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:02 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/l...ngs-for-harley

I put solid bushings in when I installed my 18" bars and they worked out great. there is not enough vibrations making it up to my hands to have a complaint. from what I know the poly bushings are good but with tall bars I didn't want any flex.

I used the LA choppers solid bushings