Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Ground up softail build

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 09:58 PM
Greenpig
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Help! Ground up softail build

Ok guys here it is: I just registered on this forum. I'm building a softail ground up. And by building I mean I have a frame and swingarm and nothing else. No other parts and very very little knowledge. I know I want a softail deluxe with an evo and a general idea of how it looks in the end. Maybe somebody (or a few) people could chime in.

My frame is a krafttech stock spec 84-99 softail frame and the swingarm is the stock part also by krafttech. So I know this year range accepts an evo.

First things first getting it rolling. I have no idea what fork/ tree setup to use I see different diameter and length; traditional vs inverted; the frame is a 0* rake and correct me of I'm wrong stock softail rake is 32* so this leads me to believe I need to use a 2* tree setup??? Also are head cup setups a matter of preference or specifics??

And for the rear I already have on order a pivot kit

Wheels- I know I want a 21" front and 16" or 18" rear but I don't know which axles I need it seems like there are a bunch. I want to have a pretty much stock spec bike so 3/4" axles front and rear correct? Do need wheel spacers?

Wiring harness I'm lost here I'm sure I could source out a motorcycle wrecking yard and salvage a complete harness but is there a better way considering this is ground up kind of like "if I was to build it..."

One last thing for now is a deluxe rear fender the same as a heritage rear fender as far as taillights go? I want the tombstone but I don't wants issues as I plan on getting factory fenders and gas tanks

Thanks in advance any positive input would be greatly appreciated

Ps I know about the search tool so there's no need to remind me I'm on a couple other forums and I know first hand answers can't always be found out in the open besides I know there's great people here willing to help

Old 09-27-2015, 11:09 AM
roddenby51
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Greenpig,

Recently built a Softail using a Kraft-Tech K15051 frame, 30 degree rake, 0 up, 0 stretch, 1-1/4" tubes. Used Heritage (0 rake) trees, FXST length forks / Progressive internals, 16" front wheel... handles and rides great. Link to my build in signature.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Greenpig
Novice

Awesome build man thanks for the info my frame is the 15001 mind if I pick your brain? To put a 21" wheel which forks would I use? I want to keep it pretty close to stock

Old 09-27-2015, 12:44 PM
roddenby51
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If wanting to build with a 21" front wheel, I'd try to find a complete FXST front end; trees, forks, wheel, etc...

Old 09-27-2015, 12:48 PM
gpp
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Before you get too far into this you will need a Mso for the motor,transmission ,and frame.some states may take a bill of sale for the part but you need to ask your state dmv inspector about this.you are technically building a custom bike so it will have to pass your states laws on building a custom bike.if you have to have a speedometer make sure it works when you go to get it inspected.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Greenpig
Novice

Right on do you know if I would be able to use a deluxe or heritage front fender with that setup?

Old 09-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Greenpig
Novice

I only have the frame and I do have the MSO for it I'll have to look into the laws regarding the drivetrain thank you it didn't even cross my mind

Old 09-27-2015, 12:57 PM
gpp
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No,both my bikes I built were chopper type .this sight may help as you get going.
http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/index.php?s=.i also used a Harley crate eve engine ,transmission,and drive train.can go to any dealer and get parts.be careful on motors and transmissions,most manufacturers went out of business when the chopper fad dried up.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Greenpig
Novice

Thanks for the input it really is appreciated

Old 09-27-2015, 09:52 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I'd like to build a bike too some day. If/when I do I plan on buying a wrecked softail for a donor. Maybe use the motor/trans an wiring harness an anything else. little stuff nickle an dimes you to death. look at the swing arm an see what size axle it uses or check with the manual if one came with it. once you get a wheel an rear brake you can measure for spacers. You can also buy a spacer kit of various sizes off ebay. if you want the deluxe or heritage look do you want to go 21" up front? if so I'd go with a 3.5" wide wheel an a 120/130 wide front 21" tire.

Quick Reply: Help! Ground up softail build