Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting to Mikuni choke cable. Which plunger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:30 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts
Default Converting to Mikuni choke cable. Which plunger?

I just received my new Mikuni choke cable and it didn't include the plunger, spring, or nut. I haven't taken apart the carb yet, but it was a Mikuni Easy Kit installed by the previous owner. That leads me to believe it was installed per the insteuctions and currently has the Mikuni spring and plunger but the Harley nut.

Anybody know the correct combination of those three parts when combined with the Mikuni choke cable?

I sent an email to Mikuni but haven't gotten a response yet.

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2015, 04:52 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I went through this a few years ago. Installed a Mikuni (Easy Kit) on my 03 Night Train. I don't recall the exact details but to use the stock CV choke cable, the spring, or plunger, or both had to be changed out and the appropriate parts were included in the Kit. I installed the CV cable per the instructions but it never functioned properly. I ended up ordering a Mikuni choke cable from JP Cycles which included all parts. It worked perfectly.

If you search the web, you should be able to find a set on installation instructions for Harley's Mikuni Easy Kit. These instructions will have information about the choke cable which may help you determine if your existing parts can be utilized.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:07 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Yeah, the instructions I found said to use the stock CV cable and nut with the Mikuni spring and plunger. I haven't found anything regarding the nut used with the Mikuni cable. My Mikuni cable didn't include the spring, plunger, or nut.

I took the carb off just now and it has the Harley serrated nut and the Mikuni plunger. I don't have another spring to compare but I'm bettering it's got the Mikuni spring too.

What I removed from the carb:

The Mikuni conversion instructions (link below) are somewhat ambiguous when it comes to the actual Mikuni cable. It mentions that the Mikuni nut has a smaller counterbore for the cable sheath but I'm not sure if that precludes the use of the smaller mikunincable in the larger nut or not.
http://www.mikuni.com/fs-choke_cable.html

I suppose I'll go ahead and order the nut and spring along with the other rebuild parts I need.

Oh. Mikuni got back with me and said they couldn't advise about specific installations and that I should contact a dealer.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:07 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cggorman

Google these guys; "pjmotorsports". The best source for Mikuni parts and information. Their website is a little confusing to navigate but dig deep and you'll even find an exploded view of your carb illustrating all parts and stock numbers (Attachment). If you don't see the items you need on their website, give them a call. It's a guarantee they have it.

Attached Thumbnails Converting to Mikuni choke cable. Which plunger?-screen-shot-2015-11-26-at-4.55.32-am.png  
Old 11-25-2015, 03:26 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks for the tip but I actually already ordered the parts from www.nichecycle.com out of St. Petersburg FL. Ordered the rebuild kit plus all the rubber and plastic parts that weren't included in it. The choke nut and spring too, of course.

I tried to fit up the Mikuni cable into the Harley nut and it seems like it would work in a pinch but the fit is really sloppy.

Last edited by cggorman; 11-25-2015 at 03:31 PM.