Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freedom Exhaust and FP3

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 02:50 PM
Dalt10
Road Master

Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Freedom Exhaust and FP3

I had the Big Radius on my last Breakout with the FP3 and was going to try and put something different on the new one. I have checked out the Freedom Performance Independence Shorties and think they would look good on the bike. Almost look like V&H Short Shots.
Anybody with first hand experience with the FP3 and exhaust other than Vance & Hines? Anybody have the Freedom Shorties on their Breakout?
I'm sorta stuck on the FP3, easy to use and I'm probably never going past Stage 1 anyway. I know the Short Shots will bolt on because I've seen them here on the site. Was going to try and stay with what is supposed to fit in case I have any warranty issues since the bike is brand new. Don't want to take off parts and put stock stuff on just to take it to the dealer (in case of problems or service). worst case I am going back to the Big Radius with the FP3.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:53 PM
the_enforcer
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't have any first hand experience with the FP3 and other than v&h exhaust. But I've read in multiple posts that v&h told the user to use the big radius 2-2 map. Don't hold me to that. Best bet would be to contact v&h directly and they will give you the answer you are looking for. Or just search around on the forum, might find it also.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:30 PM
Dalt10
Road Master

Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts

I have been searching here on the site. Haven't really found much. I did see that about using the Big Radius 2-2 map. What Freedom exhaust and tuner is on your bike? Happy with it? I assume they are not the shorties. Yours looks good. I would probably go with chrome with the burgandy bike I have.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:45 PM
the_enforcer
Cruiser

I have the amendment pipes and the power vision 2 on my bike. Love the pipes. Although I did put bct monster baffles in them. But added a small portion of the stock baffle from the pipes behind the BCT baffles. Took some of the decel Jake brake sound away but still sounds mean! Love the sound of the monster baffles. Would highly recommend them for your 2-2 exhaust.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:46 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

I sort of looked around a bit for you but there does not seem to be much in the way of detailed tech conversation on the FP3. I think most of the members on this forum go with the Powervision. I mean there is a ton of data for that here and a ton of manufacturer maps, plus member maps, that can be used.

If it helps, Powervision sent me an initial stage 1 map for my Breakout that was labeled for VH Big Shots. I ended up looking at the canned stage1 maps for VH pipes and they were all essentially the same. I suspect that will be the case with the FP3 maps- I don;t think it will be off by much if you use that map with the Freedom pipes, especially since the VH short shot map I have is also the same as my 2-2 map.

Now that said, even if you never go past stage1, Powervision has the new "Target Tune" module add on. It actually makes the HD ECM operate real time with wide band 18mm O2 sensors and lets you fully auto tune your bike with the Wide Band O2 sensors across all AFR ranges. In short it will make tuning your bike perfectly very easy even when swapping pipes or intake, and when riding, the ECM will maintain those optimal parameters in real time all the time. The full kit comes with two WB sensors and weld on o2 bungs. but it's like $800-ish for everything (PV plus the TT add on) so definitely at the upper end of tuners.

So you could buy pipes that already have an 18mm wide band o2 bung on them or simply weld on a set of 18mm bungs later on.

Just wanted to mention it since that target tune product is new and it's pretty damn cool. I'll probably never go past my stage1 and upgraded belt pulleys. I'm about to install my TT add on shortly. My 2-2 pipes have the narrow band 12mm o2 bungs so I have to get the new 18mm bungs welded on.

Originally Posted by the_enforcer
I have the amendment pipes and the power vision 2 on my bike. Love the pipes. Although I did put bct monster baffles in them. But added a small portion of the stock baffle from the pipes behind the BCT baffles. Took some of the decel Jake brake sound away but still sounds mean! Love the sound of the monster baffles. Would highly recommend them for your 2-2 exhaust.
Ya those BCT baffles are the bomb!! They make the radius pipes sound super mean. I got my powervision tune down now so I can either jack up the decel crackle or quiet it down to a burble. gotta love having full cell control of the VE and spark timing tables

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-11-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:54 PM
the_enforcer
Cruiser

If those freedom pipes are like mine then they will have a 18mm O2 bung welded in place already. And they ship with 18mm to 12mm adapters to match your factory 02 sensors. Wish I would have known that before I ordered some aftermarket adapters. Oh well, they were cheap.

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Ya those BCT baffles are the bomb!! They make the radius pipes sound super mean. I got my powervision tune down now so I can either jack up the decel crackle or quiet it down to a burble. gotta love having full cell control of the VE and spark timing tables
Wish I knew how to adjust the tables and tune it myself. I ain't about to go poking around and messing stuff up. I actually am buying a TTS tuner because where I'm taking my bike to get my cams installed and dynoed specializes in the tts. Said he could prob figure out the PV2 but could promise me the absolute best tune with what he is comfortable with. So I guess I'll have two options for tuners to use from here on out lol.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-11-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:03 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

If those freedom pipes are like mine then they will have a 18mm O2 bung welded in place already. And they ship with 18mm to 12mm adapters to match your factory 02 sensors. Wish I would have known that before I ordered some aftermarket adapters. Oh well, they were cheap.
That's good to know- those Freedom pipes look very nice on your BO. Maybe I'll just get a set of those instead of futzing with removing pipes, welding new bungs.

You know what's odd though- Where are the bung locations on the pipes? are they less than 6" from the head? Reason I ask, wide band o2 sensors only work well when placed less than 6" from the exhaust port on head. narrow band sensors need to be a bit farther away. so it is odd that a single bung location would work well for both types of sensor even with the 12mm adapter. bung placement on pipe needs to physically be different for NB vs WB.

Wish I knew how to adjust the tables and tune it myself. I ain't about to go poking around and messing stuff up. I actually am buying a TTS tuner because where I'm taking my bike to get my cams installed and dynoed specializes in the tts. Said he could prob figure out the PV2 but could promise me the absolute best tune with what he is comfortable with. So I guess I'll have two options for tuners to use from here on out lol.
The TTS is another very good product - no issue there at all. I'd be doing same as you in that situation. I'm sure if TTS does not have a real time WB operation module out yet, they will eventually. they always run neck and neck with PV.

the PV's TT WB add on is cool because I no longer need to mess with the VE tables. it will just be done and maintained automatically.

Spark timing tables are a different story though- that will always take some manual tuning and optimization. first order of business is always to get rid of the purposefully detuned timing in the off-the-line acceleration area of map. I'm sure your dyno shop will take care of that.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-11-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:11 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

In addition to what LA_Dog said, with both Powervision and FP3 are pretty powerful tools. Powervision has been out longer so there are a lot more maps and knowledge out there. Also, if you decide to get a dyno tune, there are more shops that tune with Powervision than there are with FP3. In fact, I havent heard of any shops that dyno tune with FP3.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:35 PM
breakman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,552 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
That's good to know- those Freedom pipes look very nice on your BO. Maybe I'll just get a set of those instead of futzing with removing pipes, welding new bungs.

You know what's odd though- Where are the bung locations on the pipes? are they less than 6" from the head? Reason I ask, wide band o2 sensors only work well when placed less than 6" from the exhaust port on head. narrow band sensors need to be a bit farther away. so it is odd that a single bung location would work well for both types of sensor even with the 12mm adapter. bung placement on pipe needs to physically be different for NB vs WB.
I have the Amendment exhaust sitting in the house temporarily until I get the other stuff.
One bung is about 6" away from the head the other is about 12".
I was going to use those for the wb02 sensors.
Is 12" too far away to work properly?

Last edited by breakman; 01-22-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:49 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by breakman
I have the Amendment exhaust sitting in the house temporarily until I get the other stuff.
One bung is about 6" away from the head the other is about 12".
I was going to use those for the wb02 sensors.
Is 12" too far away to work properly?
Yes! those are not going to work right for WB O2. The 6" one is right on the cutting line. the 12" one is definitely a no go. Not if you want the WB to be faithfully accurate. I typically place them 3-4" from the head. If you look at older model bike pipes that came natively with WB bungs, the bungs are always that close to the head. the rear pipe is tricky because you can only get so close, so that is normally about 4"

Now keep in mind that older HD's had 18mm narrow band O2 sensors- so what I believe we have here are pipes that are bunged up to fit either 18mm or 12mm narrow band O2 sensors based on their pipe placement. but they are not WB O2 designed bungs other than the thread hole is compatible.

Quick Reply: Freedom Exhaust and FP3