Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy S - Engine Differences for Intake and Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 03:27 PM
bbmach
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fatboy S - Engine Differences for Intake and Exhaust?

So… like a thousand other “I’m thinking of buying” threads, I’m thinking it’s time to move from my ’04 V-Rod to something a little more substantial for the Atlanta highway system. The V-Rod has sat more and more as I have found it isn’t much fun to idle from light to light on the surface streets in traffic, nor is the bike all that much fun at 70-75 cruising on the highway.

After much online research, I’ve settled on the Fatboy S. I like the looks and size, and the bigger engine. Need to get to the dealer to sit on one.
In the meantime, a few questions have popped into my brain. Since we all know, one just purchases the starter kit from H-D…

Being the S has the larger Screaming Eagle 110 CI engine; do aftermarket parts still bolt up? Specifically thinking about Exhaust (V&H Slip-ons, ProPipe or 2-1 Short) and a higher flowing K&N air filter and housing of some sort – i.e. are the intake and exhaust port sizes different from the standard engine?

Is there a flash for the ECM from H-D, or will I need aftermarket fuel controller?

The rest of the mods will come in time like a tachometer, Daymaker (or better?) headlight, grips, small windshield or faring, seat…

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insight.

Dave

Last edited by bbmach; 04-23-2016 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-23-2016, 07:11 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I believe all the Fat Boy parts fit the S.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:51 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Dave
Accessories will be the same as a standard 201) Slim except related to the hydraulic clutch and cruise control.

Externally, the engine has the same dimensions for exhaust and intake.

The 110SE motor isn't the best choice for idling in traffic though. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bike, but sitting in heVy traffic is not good for it and not enjoyable for the rider.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:43 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
Dave
Accessories will be the same as a standard 201) Slim except related to the hydraulic clutch and cruise control.

Externally, the engine has the same dimensions for exhaust and intake.

The 110SE motor isn't the best choice for idling in traffic though. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bike, but sitting in heVy traffic is not good for it and not enjoyable for the rider.
Huh?

Everybody knows these newer bikes regardless of displacement are running lean which makes them running hotter than they should regardless of displacement. Catalytic converters add to the heat. Softails have the catalytic converters in the mufflers whereas other models have them in the head pipe. Much cheaper and easier to eliminate the converters on any Softail than on other models.

Even in stock form, you will absolutely not harm the engine on these new bikes idling in traffic. If the temperature climbs too high, then cylinder deactivation kicks in. If traffic is stalled for an hour, there is always the option of shutting the engine off if a person wants to. Again, regardless of displacement, the same holds true.

My old bike doesn't have any of that though.

It is hilarious to listen to the anti CVO or S people argue against the 110 because of heat while advocating installing a big bore kit on a smaller displacement engine such as a 96 or 103.

Do you really think that Harley would be rolling out bikes costing in excess of $25K and backing them up with a warranty that would melt? And then, that is in stock form. A few tweaks here and there and it runs even cooler.

But what do I know. Just the ramblings of a white beard carbureted Evo biker.

IMHO the Fat Boy S is the best bike in this year's lineup. Admittedly price is somewhat steep.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:40 PM
bbmach
Advanced

Thanks, Ladies and Gentlemen - it will be an S if/when I pull the trigger. It looks like it'll be a nice step from my V-Rod (which I am sure to miss).

Old 04-25-2016, 01:55 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Is that a VRSCB?

Old 04-25-2016, 07:00 AM
bbmach
Advanced

Yes, with VRSCA Chrome engine covers.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:12 PM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

As mentioned, these bikes do get hotter quicker at idle. We're not in our warmer days in the northeast and I can tell you that the engine gets pretty hot sitting still. Yes, it can handle it and you can also opt to shut it off in traffic that's not moving. This is just speaking from practical experience with the bike. I had a lot of saddle time this weekend and I had a blast on the S, but thought to myself a few times while standing still.... This is going to be Blazing in the summer. I will invest in some mid frame deflectors if they are available. I've already changed the full exhaust, so the CAT was gone from the get go. I'm sure it runs cooler remapped.

On the HWY, it was cool as a fan. In comparison to the 103 on my 2014 street Glide, which also has no Cat, there is a noticeable difference.

Wonder if installing a 58mm throttle body will help cool down this engine a bit?

Last edited by Vision; 04-25-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:29 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,202 Likes on 5,397 Posts

Originally Posted by bbmach
I have found it isn’t much fun to idle from light to light on the surface streets in traffic

The fatboy with the 110 engine will be even less fun...the v-rod will stay the same temp all day stuck in traffic.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:36 PM
bbmach
Advanced

Well, I can tell you... when the V-Rod fan kicks on, your right leg, yes the one already near the pipes, will get a flame-broiling if your stationary. Fan very rarely comes on while moving...

Quick Reply: Fatboy S - Engine Differences for Intake and Exhaust?