Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil bud oilcooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 07:10 PM
popcorn13
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default oil bud oilcooler

anybody have any experience with the oil bud oilcooler? i have thought about jagg, wimmer. i like the idea of oilbuds cooler that it is hidden. i know it is pricey. my scooter is a 2003 heritage softail. thanks for any help and info. SEMPER FI.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:01 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Oil Bud

They are pricey but tough as nails as they have to be where they're mounted. I've had one on my 11 Fatboy with a 124 motor for three years now. I'm seeing a 25 to 30 deg reduction in oil temps going by where I've been before with and without the cooler with similar weather conditions. I like that it keeps the bike with a cleaner look and yet does it's job as good as others. Just what a guy wants on a 110 deg day ia to have the hot air coming off the oil cooler and by your leg using a conventional oil cooler. Slipping bye under the bike using the turbulence off the tires works for me. Happy with the unit and would do it again.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

You may find other helpful information here...

Oil bud oil cooler

Old 07-20-2016, 01:22 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Try this simple experiment before spending any money.

Take a piece of paper and hold it up in front of a working fan. Take that same piece of paper and hold it flat in front of a working fan.

Now think of that piece of paper as an oil cooler. Up being every single oil cooler except the oil bud and flat being the oil bud cooler.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:39 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Are there any clearance issues with using a lift on the frame rails? What if the bike bottoms out. Is there enough clearance to not damage the oil cooler?

Old 07-20-2016, 06:44 PM
popcorn13
Cruiser

to: snowyone i agree about not seeing the coole, as you said keeping the bike looking clean. also i am sure a 124" build puts out more heat than a standard 88". thanks for your help. to: bone doc i did look at their website, thank you. to: next in line, never thought about looking at it that way. thanks. to:

Old 07-20-2016, 06:49 PM
popcorn13
Cruiser

to: tmilo1000 , as far as cleareance the oil cooler is above the frame rails.so jacking the bike in the air should not present a problem. as far as bottoming out goes if the cooler is above the frame rails the frame will scrape first. look at their site. SEMPER FI

Old 07-20-2016, 07:08 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Try this simple experiment before spending any money.

Take a piece of paper and hold it up in front of a working fan. Take that same piece of paper and hold it flat in front of a working fan.

Now think of that piece of paper as an oil cooler. Up being every single oil cooler except the oil bud and flat being the oil bud cooler.
Never actually seen one in person have you? Air does not flow through it as it does with a traditional cooler/radiator, air flows across it, it has been designed to work with the manner in which it is installed. I have my third one installed on my third bike I've owned since Their release. They work phenomenally, as advertised and are beautifully constructed and completely out of they way under the power train between the frame rails...

Old 07-20-2016, 11:17 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
Never actually seen one in person have you? Air does not flow through it as it does with a traditional cooler/radiator, air flows across it, it has been designed to work with the manner in which it is installed. I have my third one installed on my third bike I've owned since Their release. They work phenomenally, as advertised and are beautifully constructed and completely out of they way under the power train between the frame rails...
In non-moving traffic, it dissipates heat up directly on the engine, primary and transmission.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:08 AM
oham1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
In non-moving traffic, it dissipates heat up directly on the engine, primary and transmission.
That is something I always wondered about. How does that affect the life of any gaskets directly above it. If you are in stop and go traffic it must heat the bottom part of the engine a lot more than usual.

Quick Reply: oil bud oilcooler