Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 05:06 PM
jamesf0622
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another exhaust question

It will be a minute before I get new pipes (I have Rush slip-ons with 2" baffles right now) but I'm trying to get some ideas early. Let's pretend I know nothing about pipes. Ok, it's not that hard to pretend that....

Anyway, I definitely want black pipes. Not a big fan of the 2 into 1 pipes that I've seen. I know they are better for performance, but I'm just not that into the styling. I'm thinking either Hooker Troublemakers or Bassani prostreets right now. I'm more into the way they look and sound over performance. The bike has enough power right now to make me happy. More would be better however![sm=badbadbad.gif]

Things that concern me are:

- Loss of power. i.e., losing torque or HP that I have right now. I want gains, even if they are minimal.

- Quality of the black coating. Will it fade? Fading = bad.

- Passenger footpeg hitting the pipes. I have that issue with my slip ons right now. It's frustrating.

- Sound. I want LOUD!!!! I'm pretty happy with the way Rush sounds. Great tone, just not quite enough volume. I don't want crappy sounding pipes. I don't want them to sound like a loud fart.

That's all I can think of right now. Currently my set up is a stock '07 96". I'm also leaning towards a SERT and a K&N A/C when I finally do get the pipes. It's all a matter of funding right now. Thanks for the input!

Old 05-28-2007, 05:21 PM
jchildress21
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another exhaust question

If you're set on black, check out the Hookers. They're nice pipes. Another option might be Bassani's. Rinehart also makes a set in black. I'm with you on the look of the two into one. Great for power, but not the most attractive. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

If you want loud and performance you can't beat Vance and Hines big shot staggards. Friend has them on his 2005 Heritage and they are twice as loud as my rush 2.0's

Old 05-30-2007, 11:09 AM
smitbrad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

James, how does your bike run with only the Rush slip-ons andnot installing the SERT & having the bike dyno? Do you get any backfire? I have a set of Rush slip-ons with 2" baffles and haven't installed them yet. I was going to waitand have them installed at the same time I installed the K&N airfilter and SERT but I'm getting impatient and don't want to wait!