Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker-C Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:44 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by j33ptj
Some parts getting ready (footboards) and the air intake is on the way...

Yay!!

Robert
Cool man, lookin forward to seeing everything installed!!

The following users liked this post:
j33ptj (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 08:55 PM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts

Originally Posted by j33ptj
Hi Sarah,...

I used a 2" tank lift.

Will have to look up which one...

RJ
I love how the tank lifts look with the Rocker. I don't quite understand what it does to the fuel indicator. Does it make you think you are on empty when there is still plenty of gas, or do you run out of gas when you think you still have some?

I have a lift kit I made for my bike but have hesitated putting it on until I understand the net effect on my fuel gage.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:57 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sarah93003
I love how the tank lifts look with the Rocker. I don't quite understand what it does to the fuel indicator. Does it make you think you are on empty when there is still plenty of gas, or do you run out of gas when you think you still have some?

I have a lift kit I made for my bike but have hesitated putting it on until I understand the net effect on my fuel gage.
Both my Dakota Digital low fuel indicator and HD flush mount LED fuel gauge are off after installing a 2" lift on my Rocker. The indicator comes on a little prematurely and the gauge shows less then the actual amount in the tank when full, but gets more accurate as the fuel level drops... I also think that with the tank lifted, I'm not getting as many miles per tank full. I think because the cross over line is in the front of the tank, that all the gas does not get picked up and used. I haven't pushed it to find out how many miles less per tank, but I'm thinking maybe 20 miles less, like a 1/2 gallon?? Curious if you noticed the same thing j33ptj?? How many miles do you average on a tank since lifting it, and is it less the before??

Last edited by Rocker B; 01-19-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:41 AM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

The tank lift is from CHopperstyle LLC. 2"

I have noticed the same that the fuel gauge reads lower sooner, Normally the guage works with a little floater, if you tip the tank back it will read less earler but there still is enough fuel in to go to the 300km range you should get (which I dit once and filled ith with 18.5ltrs) this was before the tank lift.

I will have to see (try?) and do a ride till m/t tank, see how much km I get out of it now. Although this will have to wait a few months until I get all my parts back!

Robert

Old 01-21-2017, 12:44 AM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts

I love the look so I guess I'm going to have to give it a try. I'll try to run a full tank, note the miles, and do it again after. It's good to know if range is affected as well as understanding the changes to the gages.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:25 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sarah93003
I love the look so I guess I'm going to have to give it a try. I'll try to run a full tank, note the miles, and do it again after. It's good to know if range is affected as well as understanding the changes to the gages.
Ya, some day when I'm close to empty I'll carry a bottle of gas and run it out, and see how many miles less per tank I'm getting now, and then check how much less gas it takes to fill the tank then it did before, that will tell me how much gas is not getting picked up and used (because of the lift)....I have run out of gas a couple times before installing the lift, both times at around 225 miles +/-

Last edited by Rocker B; 01-21-2017 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:35 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm running a 1.5 lift on the front, and a half inch on the back of my tank, and I did run it out on purpose to check the mileage afterwards because I noticed myself filling up more..... It was subconscious, I knew the gauge and light were off, but I kept stopping early, because I was a pansy, my mileage was identical +/- 10 miles of so to what it was beforehand. Now with a 2" lift, maybe it's affected a tad more, but I bet it isn't too much..

Old 01-21-2017, 02:41 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Wouldn't it be possible to extend the intake hose/line to the fuel pump or swap it for a slightly longer one to get to the bits of fuel trapped at the rear of the tank?

Old 01-22-2017, 01:39 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by EagleRay
Wouldn't it be possible to extend the intake hose/line to the fuel pump or swap it for a slightly longer one to get to the bits of fuel trapped at the rear of the tank?
I'd bet you could either extend the pickup tube, or change the pickup screen out for an absorbent pad style pickup, tor get everything last drop, but I honestly don't know if the cost or effort is justified.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:51 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by EagleRay
The problem is that the fuel exits the tank at the bottom left side, but the cross-over line is at the front of the tank. When the front of the tank is raised 2" higher than the rear, and the fuel level drops below the cross-over line, it cant run uphill on the right side of the tank, so some gets trapped there . I think the only way you could utilize all the gas would be to install a cross-over line at the rear of the tank, which wouldn't be easy, if even possible.

Last edited by Rocker B; 01-23-2017 at 02:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Rocker-C Build