Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 FXSTS Starter Relay

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 12:18 PM
firefour
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 93 FXSTS Starter Relay

Hi,
Will a defective relay cause the following? The battery is OK but sometimes when I press the starter button I just get a click, after I press it many times the bike starts and also sometimes while idling at a light the bike will just shut off like a plug was pulled. I hit the start button and it restarts. I have checked the battery cables, connections etc. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 01-30-2017, 03:29 PM
RedHogz
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Not to seem like a smart ***, but how do you know for certain your battery is OK? Age and static voltage checks mean nothing. A proper load test from any auto store will confirm condition. That's where I would start first.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:12 PM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

As well as the battery, it might also be worth checking the condition of your main circuit breaker and the wiring connections to it.
It should be located on the plastic splash guard in front of the rear wheel.
Any suggestion of an issue then replace it.
Also check the condition of your ignition switch and connector to it. They can suffer from corrosion and also the switch can suffer from dry connections internally. The back of the switch often has a large circlip that can be removed to make sure contacts inside are clean. A few small bits in there including springs so if you do it be gently and observant.
Your starter relay could well cause starting issues, I think that goes without saying but it would not cause the bike to cut out.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:51 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,954 Likes on 3,035 Posts

There's a little cube relay under the seat throttle side near battery, on mine the internal contacts didn't always make contact even though it clicked. I replaced the 16 year old one, then the 2 month old one failed.
So I took it apart, bent the contacts for better contact when activated and put it back in.
I also added a push button to the back of my starter solenoid for added insurance.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:49 PM
RedHogz
Tourer

Originally Posted by RANGER73
I also added a push button to the back of my starter solenoid for added insurance.
Man, I wish I had that luxury on my 1988. have you seen the gizmo I'd have to attach to my solenoid? I'd might as well add an HD kicker and be done with it...

Old 01-30-2017, 06:52 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,954 Likes on 3,035 Posts

OP's got a 93', figured I have a 94' it's a nice piece of mind.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:58 PM
RedHogz
Tourer

Hell Yeah Bro...

Old 01-30-2017, 08:29 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I had one of the push button back ups on my 93....I thought the wiring was getting old an unpredictable so I added it for peace of mind. It's kinda weird to use lol...not natural at all.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:12 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I had a 91 FXSTC and my starter relay bit it and I recall similar symptoms. It's a cheap item and easy to replace so I'd get one because you're probably running the factory original.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:56 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

I second (or third or forth) the push button on the solenoid for extra peace of mind. It's got me home a time or two.

While you have the end cap off the solenoid, pull out the plunger and clean the copper main contacts with fine sandpaper and polish them. You'll probably find they're black and pitted from arcing over the years. Reassemble with a bit of grease on the shaft and you'll be amazed at how much better the bike will start. In fact, even if you DON'T install the push button, clean the contacts anyway.

Quick Reply: 93 FXSTS Starter Relay