Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide onto a Softail Slim ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:31 AM
Breeze1962
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wide Glide onto a Softail Slim ???

Hey everybody.I had a lil run in with a Honda Civic last Sunday on my 2014 Softail Slim.Looks like I have a bent fork tube & wheel & some other minor damage.

Not sure yet if I'm gonna just send it to the local HD,let a friend of mine who has a custom shop fix,or,do the job myself.HD is saying over 2 months down time,mostly due to lead time on gas tank.At least with my friend,or,myself,I can ride the bike til tank gets in & then swap it out.

I'm thinking seriously about swapping the complete front end with an aftermarket Wide Glide front end.At this point,I'm looking at a stock length with 3* rake at the trees.I want to retain my ABS,so,I'm also looking into everything to make sure I won't have problems there as well.
Has anybody done this swap,or,similar,& if so,could you throw some pics out & any guidance on the swap itself?

Old 03-06-2017, 08:16 AM
Breeze1962
Cruiser

Also,does anybody know,or,have any experience with the front ends offered by Demon's Cycle out of Florida?

Old 03-06-2017, 09:07 AM
Breeze1962
Cruiser

I'm assuming since the counts on my posts are showing view counts that the posts are visible.
After 3 threads & numerous views with not a single response,i have to ask,is there something wrong?Did I offend someone,or,**** in their coffee?Just wondering WTH is up?

Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 AM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Should be a difference besides the width of it all. You can prob find stock fork tubes on here or off eBay for cheap. I have 5* trees on my 41mm wide glide front end and can barely tell a difference.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:28 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Breeze1962
I'm assuming since the counts on my posts are showing view counts that the posts are visible.
After 3 threads & numerous views with not a single response,i have to ask,is there something wrong?Did I offend someone,or,**** in their coffee?Just wondering WTH is up?
I'd say it's just coincidence. Maybe you had some questions that stumped everyone or that a person with experience in that particular area has not yet seen your threads.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Breeze1962
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2goldens
I'd say it's just coincidence. Maybe you had some questions that stumped everyone or that a person with experience in that particular area has not yet seen your threads.
It could be,i just wanted to make sure if I had done something wrong,or,said something out of the way,that It wasn't intentional & want to clear it up.
Also just wanted to confirm that the posts were actually showing up & readable.thanks for the reply.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Breeze1962
Cruiser

Originally Posted by chrome-dome-dave
Should be a difference besides the width of it all. You can prob find stock fork tubes on here or off eBay for cheap. I have 5* trees on my 41mm wide glide front end and can barely tell a difference.
I pulled the headlight & fork tins off over the weekend trying to see if I could determine exactly what was out of whack & it appears to be a wide glide frontend now with the fork covers,etc & a black lower tree.
I had to put everything back as the adjuster has not made it out to look at the bike yet.it rides & drives ok.Just that when the front wheel is tracking straight,the bars & trees are pointing 1 o'clockish.LOL.
My main concern is to be able to retain my ABS & not cause problems there.The bearing in my current wheel provides the ABS sensor with the signal,so,I need to make sure I get everything together to work properly.I plan on staying with the 16" front wheel/tire.My wheel seems to be slightly bent as I can see it,but,not really feel anything.This is of course at low speed,below 30 mph.I haven't been any faster since the wreck,as,i'me not sure exactly what is bent & out of whack.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:59 PM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You just have to make sure the sliders on the other set up are for your same axel size. If not I'm sure you can get bearings to match your axel and the sliders. If you already have a wide glide front end then just get stock tubes, sliders, front wheel and get aftermarket trees to your liking.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:33 PM
Breeze1962
Cruiser

Originally Posted by chrome-dome-dave
You just have to make sure the sliders on the other set up are for your same axel size. If not I'm sure you can get bearings to match your axel and the sliders. If you already have a wide glide front end then just get stock tubes, sliders, front wheel and get aftermarket trees to your liking.
That's what i'm looking at now.This front end appears to be no more than a 41mm 10" wide glide with the fork covers & tins. Overall length of 31".I haven't measured the axle/bearings yet because i'm waiting for the adjuster to come around & do his thing.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Bamjoop
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Breeze1962
I pulled the headlight & fork tins off over the weekend trying to see if I could determine exactly what was out of whack & it appears to be a wide glide frontend now with the fork covers,etc & a black lower tree.
I had to put everything back as the adjuster has not made it out to look at the bike yet.it rides & drives ok.Just that when the front wheel is tracking straight,the bars & trees are pointing 1 o'clockish.LOL.
My main concern is to be able to retain my ABS & not cause problems there.The bearing in my current wheel provides the ABS sensor with the signal,so,I need to make sure I get everything together to work properly.I plan on staying with the 16" front wheel/tire.My wheel seems to be slightly bent as I can see it,but,not really feel anything.This is of course at low speed,below 30 mph.I haven't been any faster since the wreck,as,i'me not sure exactly what is bent & out of whack.
Are you sure the fork tubes are bent and not just twisted in the tree? If you were to loosen the pinch bolts holding the fork tubes on the trees and hold the front wheel you may be able to just straighten out the front end.

Quick Reply: Wide Glide onto a Softail Slim ???