Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pager Receiver II Sync Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 07:44 PM
SunDevil45
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pager Receiver II Sync Issue...

EDIT: For solution, look just a little further, at bottom of this here post.

EDIT #2.: Added info on extending Pager Receiver range to 1.5 - 2.5 miles.

Edit #3: Adding more info as discovered.

Anyone have a Pager Receiver II on a Softy newer than 2012? I installed the correct Smart Siren II, have the correct security module & the right pager part number, but cannot get this dang thing to sync. Down to desperate measures, trying in transport mode, etc.

Anyone with a newer softail have this thing working?

EDIT: Okay found the solution. Nothing to do with kill switches. Keep in mind that this is was my fix for newer (2015+) FLSTN models. It may or may not work for other models depending on the FOB type you have & whether you have keyed or keyless ignition. This is for the HD factory security with passive FOBS (no buttons) & requires the Smart Siren II kit to be installed.

1. Make sure you have your security FOB with you at the bike or pairing cannot be completed.

2. make sure that both your bike & pager receiver II are powered off & that both the IGN switch & the handlebar kill switch are set to off. You will not need to touch the handlebar switch at all during the pairing process.

3. With everything now off, push & hold down the front button on the Pager Receiver II & keep holding down. You don't want to just turn the pager on, you want it in pairing mode, so keep holding the button until the LED lights start to rotate/cycle thru all light & it starts beeping.

4. As soon as the pager LED lights start cycling & the pagers starts beeping (beeps every 2 seconds), turn the Ignition/ACC/Off switch to IGN.

5. About a second after turning the IGN switch to IGN, the pager receiver should beep four (4) times. This indicates that the sync pairing to the Smart Siren II module is complete. Once you hear the four beeps, go ahead & turn the IGN switch to off.

6. If pairing was successful, after the security set notification alerts on bike (chirp or blinking signal indicators) & at this point the RCS LED & the power LED indicators (the two lower of the four LED lights) on the pager receiver should be blinking green. This tells you the pager is paired & working correctly.

Once I did it this exact way it took about 15 seconds from start to finish.

Note: I have discovered at times that if the pager has been off & you shut down the bike before the pager is powered up, you may need to go thru the above step again. I am not sure why this is, but it seems to occasionally be the case for me.

Edit # 2: Easiest to do before installing, with 2 parts & a soldering iron, you can seriously increase the range of the Pager Receiver to nearly 3 miles. You could probably get even further, but space is the limiting factor here.

All credit for this goes to a post in another section by CoyoteData:

RE: Smart Siren II Upgrade?
The siren module is a 1 watt, 433 MHz transmitter which should have a really good range but does not due to the crappy antenna that is being used. (The antenna portion is the center conductor with the heat shrink over it).

The problem is two fold. First, the antenna is a quarter wave antenna and requires a ground plane to work properly.
Second, the antenna is placed against the bike frame which detunes it and allows the bike to shadow the signal in some directions.

The solution is to replace the antenna with one that does not require a ground plane and to relocate it away from the bike frame and up as high as possible. I did this using the antenna shown below. Just remove the siren module and cut off the existing wire antenna and crimp the connector shown to the siren coax. If you can'tt do the connector crimp you can just solder the center conductor of the siren module to the center conductor of the antenna cable. Also solder the shields to each other. Just keep the exposed center conductor as short as possible. Mount the antenna (using its double faced tape) up into the lid of the tour pack. Route the antenna cable down and connect it to the siren module. You can get the antenna and connector at http://www.digikey.com

The antenna is part number ANT-433-MHW-RPS-S-ND
The connector part number is CONREVSMA011

Let me know if anything wasn't clear.

Edit 3: Okay, just discovered two things, first you can easily turn between silent & chirp alarm confirmation. Those chirps are kinda embarrassing on charity ride parking & start up. I'll add procedure here when I get home.

Also another issue, I'd call it a bug, but you cannot re-sync the Pager, in fact the Pager won't work at all, if you have a battery tender hooked up & charging. Go figure.

Last edited by SunDevil45; 05-13-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

What procedure are you using to sync it to the security system?

Old 05-11-2017, 08:23 PM
SunDevil45
Intermediate

@Bone Doc
Both off, pager held down till starts five beep sequence, on off on kill switch & then wait. Repeated in IGN & then tried ACC. No dice. Blinkers go & I get chirp from siren, but then fifth beep & nothing from pager. Never get the four beeps or RCS/mode lights never come on.

BTW, That's a sweet cow you got there.

The following users liked this post:
Bone Doc (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 PM
SunDevil45
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
What procedure are you using to sync it to the security system?
Okay, got it. Directions it came with were no bueno. Found some that were newer finally online from another site & worked first try. Ain't that always the way?? Spend an hour failing on 10 sec job, then spend five sec when you finally figured it out. 😁

Old 05-11-2017, 11:58 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

Originally Posted by SunDevil45
Okay, got it. Directions it came with were no bueno. Found some that were newer finally online from another site & worked first try. Ain't that always the way?? Spend an hour failing on 10 sec job, then spend five sec when you finally figured it out. 😁
Glad you got it worked out.

Could you post your solution for others who may have the same problem and find this thread?

Old 05-12-2017, 12:13 PM
SunDevil45
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Glad you got it worked out.

Could you post your solution for others who may have the same problem and find this thread?
Certainly, what we're all here for right? Besides, I'll surley be back soon between the Cholos & the Shotgun Shock I am eyeballing.

Old 03-04-2021, 12:37 PM
Seafury 232
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SUNDEVIL45 What is your solution?