Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Fatboy just shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:21 PM
Joel282
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Fatboy just shuts off

I have a new to me 2001 Fatboy. I've had it for a few weeks, today while riding the bike it just shut off. No warning at all. Happened once while cruising and 3 additional times while accelerating. Bike doesn't appear to have any major issues.
i haven't really done any work to the bike since getting it. Just rode a few hundred miles total, had the carb float get stuck open once and all the gas came out. Other than that it's been pretty good. no codes at all.
Looses all power and just shuts off, I pull over and wait a few minutes. Play with the switches and eventually it'll come back on. Maybe 5 minutes later or so.

any ideas?
im not very good mechanically with bikes but want to try and fix this myself if possible rather than going to a mechanic.

thanks!

Old 09-18-2017, 07:50 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

How much gas was/is in the tank? I ask because the ethanol tends to eat through the fuel line in the tank causing pin holes. When the fuel dips below a certain level it konks out. It's a fairly simple job to take on, shouldn't cost an arm and a leg if you have an indy shop do it for you

Old 09-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

If the float stuck, I would start there before going other places. You say you are not very mechanical pretty much rules out a carb rebuild. Not a good place to learn. You need to get a good service manual.
Why someone got rid of it probably. Rebuild the carb and clean out the tank and petcock filter. It should have a vacuum cutoff on the petcock, so I assumed it flooded while running, so that is a pretty serious stick and could be killing it. Check your engine oil for gas contamination.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-18-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:13 PM
Joel282
Advanced

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
How much gas was/is in the tank? I ask because the ethanol tends to eat through the fuel line in the tank causing pin holes. When the fuel dips below a certain level it konks out. It's a fairly simple job to take on, shouldn't cost an arm and a leg if you have an indy shop do it for you
It was full, down to empty. Put half a tank in the bike and hasn't leaked a drop since. It came from the drain / breather? tube that hangs down.

the part I find odd is kts loosing 100% of the power to the bike, no ignition, no lights, nothing, as if the battery was disconnected.

on a side note, I could and will rebuild the carb. I did it on my sportster last year with no problems.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Trebor_HD
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly it just sound lie your battery cables are not properly tightened. This causes a short and trips the circuit protection shutting off everything. Just check the bolts and tighten up.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:35 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

Both suggestions above are good places to start. The ignition switch also can go bad and cause similar problems. I was on a 5 hour trip one day and my bike cut out on me several times at highway speed. It would start up again and ride for awhile and suddenly do it again. You might be able to start bike and wiggle the ignition switch and see if it cuts off. I bought an aftermarket switch for around $35 and changed it In the hotel parking lot. Easy swap if that is your problem.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:40 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Approach using the KISS method, definitely check battery cables first, any idea how old the battery is?

Old 09-18-2017, 08:41 PM
Joel282
Advanced

Originally Posted by txphatboy
Both suggestions above are good places to start. The ignition switch also can go bad and cause similar problems. I was on a 5 hour trip one day and my bike cut out on me several times at highway speed. It would start up again and ride for awhile and suddenly do it again. You might be able to start bike and wiggle the ignition switch and see if it cuts off. I bought an aftermarket switch for around $35 and changed it In the hotel parking lot. Easy swap if that is your problem.
I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Joel282
Advanced

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Approach using the KISS method, definitely check battery cables first, any idea how old the battery is?
I'll try the simple approach. Battery was manufactured 6/17 and installed in 7/17 by the previous owner.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:44 PM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 294 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by txphatboy
except i cleaned my contacts and put on separate female connectors. $1.50 fix.

Last edited by Riffraff123; 09-18-2017 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Add comment

Quick Reply: 01 Fatboy just shuts off