Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Heritage Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 07:28 PM
kneesinthebreeze24
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 09 Heritage Starting issue

I have an 09 heritage that doesn't like starting back up ONLY when I take it for 5 minute ride. In other words, I typically starter up, ( no issue) ride 5-10 minutes to the gas station, fill up. EVERY TIME I do this, I go to start the bike it coughs and wines. If I ride 10 -20 miles and stop for gas it starts back up no problem. I can ride all day and make multiple stops and starts with no issues.

Has anyone else experienced this?? Any suggestions on what it could be?

TJ

Old 11-05-2017, 07:34 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by kneesinthebreeze24
I have an 09 heritage that doesn't like starting back up ONLY when I take it for 5 minute ride. In other words, I typically starter up, ( no issue) ride 5-10 minutes to the gas station, fill up. EVERY TIME I do this, I go to start the bike it coughs and wines. If I ride 10 -20 miles and stop for gas it starts back up no problem. I can ride all day and make multiple stops and starts with no issues.

Has anyone else experienced this?? Any suggestions on what it could be?

TJ
I was going to say your battery is failing , the short ride restart turns over well but doesn't want to fire up is that correct ?

Old 11-05-2017, 07:41 PM
kneesinthebreeze24
Cruiser

The battery is brand new. No, it doesn't turn over well at all, it sounds really awful when It try's to start. Hard to describe the sounds. But its more than just the usual bike turning over and not starting sounds.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:07 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Any codes?

Old 11-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Tynker
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a new compensator is in order. Springs get weak, and won't hold the compression, and it kicks back. Common problem with old style comps.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:57 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by kneesinthebreeze24
The battery is brand new. No, it doesn't turn over well at all, it sounds really awful when It try's to start. Hard to describe the sounds. But its more than just the usual bike turning over and not starting sounds.
Is it a clack clack sort of thing ?

Old 11-06-2017, 07:43 AM
kneesinthebreeze24
Cruiser

Bluraven...didn't check, I'll take a look and post up

Badcooky....yup, that's the sound. it really sounds like its struggling to start

Tynker, thanks for the input. Ill look at that as well

Old 11-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I know when my voltage regulator started acting it the bike ran like crap.

I did get trouble codes that indicated voltage issues and there were indicators on the dash panel of an issue.
Note though I have the tach/speedo upgrade so if you are still stock it might act differently.

I rolled the dice and upgraded to a Cycle Electric regulator and the problem never came back.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I put up with that for about two years and did all kinds of thing to correct it, but no luck in the end. It turned out to be low fuel pressure due to the fuel pressure regulator housing failing. Just to eliminate that, you ought to ride up to Harley and let them do a pressure test. Just takes a minute.

In the meantime, after the short ride, try starting it right after the fuel pump pressures up. Don't wait for the dash lights to go out. That worked for me about 95% of the time.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:14 PM
kneesinthebreeze24
Cruiser

Bluraven, under "S" I get 61155 which doesn't make sense. No other codes

Pitbull...huumm, a buddy did mention when his bike did the same, his mechanic told him it had to do with a fuel issue. You would think that if it was fuel pressure the bike would run like crap no?? It runs strong other than a short ride and restart. Thanks for the suggestions, Ill take a ride over to Harley and have them do a pressure test.

Quick Reply: 09 Heritage Starting issue