Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Information on Raking a FXST

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:56 AM
WncFxst
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Information on Raking a FXST

I tried the search engines = no luck. I was hoping that some of ya could post some links that could be useful that you have found on the web. I've got a 06 fxst and would like to run the rake out to 40 degrees.Ilike the look. I'm a certified welder just wanted some input from some of yoyu that have done it.

thanks chris

Old 06-24-2007, 04:05 AM
boone432
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Information on Raking a FXST

I'm not totally sure, but you've got to get it right!!! is there any local custom bike shops near you? dont just go with raked trees, if you want it done right, cut and weld, but i would try to find a shop near you to atleast help you make sure your getting the rake and keeping the trail right......my advice, i cant really tell you how to do it......just make sure you get it right.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:10 AM
boone432
Road Captain

try to pm jchildress21 also. hes been really helpfull with my customizing questions, about rake and other things....he knows his ****, he could probably help.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:18 AM
jimb
Road Master

Go to www.perseperformance.com.They have a rake and trail calculator on their site.You take a couple of measurements and type them in and it will tell you want you have and can do.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11733/9A7724D22A2D4C539DAC215992B6CA49.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-24-2007, 10:36 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

I too am interested in raking out my frame. I don't have any useful info, but would very much like to see some pics when you are done!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-24-2007, 01:37 PM
NoVaThunder
Tourer

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. There was a thread a while back where DueceDude was talking about using raked neck cups on his Deuce instead of raking the frame. Here's the thread if you wanna check it out. Probalbly the way I would go cause I don't have a clue how to weld and would be scared to start cutting on my frame anyway. I just don't know if you could get the 40 degrees you are looking for. Maybe if you combined the raked cups with raked trees. Anyway here's the thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_809196/tm.htm

Old 06-25-2007, 01:07 AM
WncFxst
Stage II

Thanks so far. I took the tank off today to take a good look at it. I'm not going to do raked trees, its going to be a cut and weld. The neck is cast steel. I think the best bet so far is to cut the steering neck portion only off completely after seting the bottom of the frame up level and taking a reading off of a protractor. Harley specs the rack out at 32 degrees total I assume (will check) that is with the trees as well for total amount of rake. I found some 1026 DOM steering necks from chopper supply places that can easily be welded to the remaining cast portion that will be left. Ill retain my VIN that way and clean it all up with some scotchbrite pads when im done. It should look factory except wont have a locking neck. Ill post pics as I go

Thanks

Chris

Old 06-25-2007, 10:02 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

Thanks. I'll keep a look out for them!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-25-2007, 11:37 AM
boone432
Road Captain

cool!! ill be looking for the pics too!!! you should start another thread tho so ill know when it be.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:55 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You'll need longer down tubes on the forks because raking it out will lower the front of the frame. That too changes your trail.

I'd start out the cheap(er) way with raked cups (3 degrees) and trees that are raked an additional 3 degrees. Remember, some harleys already have some rake in the trees so you want to see if yours does and then add to that.

You need someone who really knows about this because front wheel wobble that occurs at high speed from too little trail can kill.

To sum up, raked cups + raked trees + longer forks should give you a good experience if the calculations for fork length are done correctly.

Good luck, sounds fun.

Quick Reply: Information on Raking a FXST