Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pack vs. tune question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 03:31 PM
ryday
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fuel pack vs. tune question

I recently purchased the best running, smoothest, most efficient HD I've ever owned. The 2019 softail slim. It's like riding on a cloud with Morgan Freeman's voice. What effortless acceleration and silky pipe tones billow from underneath the most comfortable riding position I've experienced to date. But I found that I would rather be riding on the back of the dragon whose gold I just thieved. So, I've started my stage 1 conversion by tearing the cotton ***** out the throat and removing the trachiotomy(removed the baffle and catalytic converters), and installing some TTIs from DK. Next purchase is going to be the K&N heavy breather. At this point I will either have to get a tune or purchase a fuel pack. I know if I ever do any other performance mods, the fuel pack would be preferable and I'm wanting to know from multiple people in the know which way to go here. I ride ALOT and long distances, so I don't want a drag bike. I also want to keep fuel mileage good, but I rarely say no to extra horseys if no expense to efficiency. Should I add the stage 2?

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 04:42 PM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Get a Tuner you want the computer running the bike not a piggy back that could mess something up. I tried Fuel Pak could never get the bike to run right, then went to new computer Thundermax still couldn't get what I knew she could do. Finally got SEPST and got it dyno tuned, run great good fuel mileage and with a stage 1 I can blow the doors off most bikes I come across.

The following 2 users liked this post by Road Gliderman:
ChinoSlim (01-11-2019), ryday (01-10-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:26 AM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

The FP3 doesn't piggyback, it updates the Computer map on the bike. After the update you can remove the FP3 from the bike. It also allows you to recalibrate the speedo if you change your wheels and read out error codes.

But why bother with stage 2? if you do cruising motorways a lot, why need the extra HP? The extra power usage must come from somewhere which means it will effect (affect?) your mpg...

just my 0.02€
RJ

ryday (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:25 AM
ryday
6th Gear
Question restating the stage 2 question

Some mods add fuel mileage, but decrease max hp. Some mods decrease mileage, but add hp. Some mods add hp and have no effect on mileage. Some mods add hp and only effect mileage at higher rpms. Taking the baffles and cats out and adding the TTI gave me 2 more mpg. I'm ASSUMING that a breather and a tune will add even more hp and increase mpg again. Let me know if I'm wrong on that. What I really want to know is what can I expect to see in mpg change if I do the stage 2.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:19 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by ryday
Some mods add fuel mileage, but decrease max hp. Some mods decrease mileage, but add hp. Some mods add hp and have no effect on mileage. Some mods add hp and only effect mileage at higher rpms. Taking the baffles and cats out and adding the TTI gave me 2 more mpg. I'm ASSUMING that a breather and a tune will add even more hp and increase mpg again. Let me know if I'm wrong on that. What I really want to know is what can I expect to see in mpg change if I do the stage 2.
I recommend going a step at a time.

The Outlaw 636v is a a superior performing intake to the Heavy Breather, costs less, and is better for your engine and has the similar look. Check it out at this LINK.

You do Not need a tune on your M8 when doing the exhaust and air cleaner. See this REPORT with dyno charts.

However, as you can see from the charts in the above link, you will get a nice bump in power (and MPG) when doing the Outlaw A/C combined with the Power Vision Tuner.

By doing a True Performance Stage I (most are compromises at best) we regularly see them out-performing typical Stage II upgrades...this is because the Stage II was built on a mediocre Stage I platform.

Specifically, regarding your desire to gain power and MPG, most "stage I" air cleaners are feeding hot, oxygen depleted air into the intake...this is a waste...for optimum efficient performance the engine needs cool, clean, oxygen rich air, which is what the Outlaw Air Cleaner Systems deliver.

btw, on the FP3, it is a good tuner for Stage I's, but not so great in case you ever want to go beyond that.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 01-11-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:29 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,229 Likes on 1,268 Posts

What I really want to know is what can I expect to see in mpg change if I do the stage 2.
I have a 114 Fat Bob with the Stage II torque cam. I ride aggressively sometimes, and I also tour long distance sometimes; will do 5,000 miles this month.

The bike is EPA rated at 47 mpg. After Stage II, I average about 47 mpg. It all depends on how you ride. The Stage II makes it more entertaining to twist the throttle and on tanks where I do that, I generally get about 42 or so mpg.

On flat level ground at a cruise-controlled 55 mph, I have gotten over 57 mpg.

At 85 mph, that drops down to around 43 mpg. In winter on a windy day with luggage, I got a few tanks at 36-38 mpg.

This all tracks decently with what I was getting before the Stage II. Which is to say -- driven conservatively, the Stage II torque cam hasn't impacted my mpg at all. I think it's a great upgrade with pretty much no downside.

ryday (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 05:36 PM
ryday
6th Gear

If you sold snake oil it would show how that increases both horsepower and mpg. I appreciate the reply, but to say you have a product that outperforms K&N is ludacris. They had their hands on this engine before any of the other aftermarket companies and it's what they've been doing better than anyone for years. Of course they'll show me the same dyno bullcrap anyone who sells this stuff will and it's all just what you have to do and I get that. Some stuff if just simple though. You get flowmaster pipes, malloey ignition systems, holley carbs, and K&N anything that has to do with intake. I buy from DKCustomProducts.com because they have stuff that you can't find anywhere else(it's not just a clever name), the products are reliable, the prices are competitive, and the service and ease of use is exceptional. But I still can't trust you not to sell me snake oil.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:02 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

If you sold snake oil it would show how that increases both horsepower and mpg. I appreciate the reply, but to say you have a product that outperforms K&N is ludacris. They had their hands on this engine before any of the other aftermarket companies and it's what they've been doing better than anyone for years. Of course they'll show me the same dyno bullcrap anyone who sells this stuff will and it's all just what you have to do and I get that. Some stuff if just simple though. You get flowmaster pipes, malloey ignition systems, holley carbs, and K&N anything that has to do with intake. I buy from DKCustomProducts.com because they have stuff that you can't find anywhere else(it's not just a clever name), the products are reliable, the prices are competitive, and the service and ease of use is exceptional. But I still can't trust you not to sell me snake oil.
what or who the hell are you talking about? Lol...im lost on that one.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:45 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Not quite following you. Seems like you may be writing about what I posted, if so....

All Outlaw Air Cleaner Systems utilize K&N filter elements.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:58 PM
firefour
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Put an FP3 on my 2015 Heritage and it mad a world of difference in power and now more deceleration popping! Love it!

Quick Reply: fuel pack vs. tune question