Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage, older vs newer

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:45 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Heritage, older vs newer

The question deals with real and significant differences between the older, 17 and such, and the newer 18+ Heritage. I know the obvious, engine, bags, frame changes, but how do those changes affect real world riding and handling. I have a 2013 Softail Fatboy with the 103B engine, have had 2 FLHTK/L touring with 103A engines. I lowered the Fatboy with the HD kit, only a stage 1, made certain ergonomic changes for my riding comfort. Mustang seat with back rest, engine guard with pegs, detachable windshield cut to desired height, handlebar risers. I'm not going to make anymore multi-day, multi-thousand mile trips like on the touring but I want to be able to take a couple days ride and carry something. Example I use a CPAP and need it for overnight trips.

Engine, the 103 has plenty of power and response. I'm sure the 107/114 has more oomph, but is is significant? Does the new mono shock have real improvements over the 2 shocks under the frame on the older design. Is ABS offered on pre-17? Not on the Fatboy and wish it was. Do the pre-17 have cruise control? Yes I'm spoiled but CC helps when you have arthritis in hands and wrists.

Appearances, I personally don't care for white wide sidewall tires but that's a small changeable thing. Older bags tend to suck being saggy but being saggy they may hold more than a rigid bag. The blackout wheels and such on the newer look nice but I question the durability of the finish on the HD parts.

The thought thing about getting as used bike is I am very picky and absolutely will not buy something that has a stage 2 or greater. Personalization of a bike is by definition a personal thing and my choices are unlikely to coincide with someone else's. I'm half deaf, (GF says it's more like 90%), and hate excessive noise from an exhaust. I do want to be able to hear the engine though.

I haven't ridden any newer ones yet. Just returned from a multi-month RV trip and now fighting a URI and bout of pneumonia which has me sort of confined. Hopefully soon I'll fix that.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Martin Gallardo
Supporter
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My wife and I have a '17 and an '18. Personally...I feel like the 18 sits you in a better position overall, handles way better and feels more "in control". I describe her bike as feeling more loose when it comes to turns and the 18 feels like it's tight and consise. We love both bikes, obviously each has it's own pluses and minuses...She like the 17 better, I like the 18 better. If you can, I'd say take a ride on one and see for yourself. that's the best way.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:48 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,481 Likes on 4,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunker
The question deals with real and significant differences between the older, 17 and such,
Wow, a 17 is an older Softail... damn, my `89 must be considered prehistoric...

Get well quick.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
LXT (06-10-2019), mr.precision (07-22-2022), wombat457 (07-20-2022)
Old 06-07-2019, 03:13 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Subscribing to this thread, as I have been contemplating changing things up, and moving from my touring model to a softail. Ever since we bought my wife’s 09 Heritage, and I ride it, it is just so much more fun than my Road Glide.

I was in for service issue the other day, and the dealer had a beautiful used115th Heritage, man that blue is just spectacular. My real issue is, I am just not sure about the M8. The ones I rode have a weird whirling sound, just not sure if a pipe change would drown that out.

Anxious to hear what others say about preferences, as I love the 09, and if the 18+’s are even better

Probably wont do anything, but who knows.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:41 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Wow, a 17 is an older Softail... damn, my `89 must be considered prehistoric...

Get well quick.
Hope so, being sick sucks. As you likely guessed, the 18 and newer are a new generation and many significant changes. Be like an Evo vs twin cam. If I went pre-17 it wouldn't be very old at all. I'd want low mileage.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:51 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I traded my 14 Street Glide Special on a 16 Heritage (16-17 have electronic cruise and ABS standard) and have not looked back. So much more 'in the bike' and you lose all the bulk up high. I'm only 5'6" with a 27" inseam so the Heritage is for me. I like all the advancements on the 18's and 19's but I couldn't get past the look. I love chrome, it's easy to keep up and I don't know about the longevity of the black finishes, especially on the engines.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:31 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 553 Likes on 341 Posts

The question deals with real and significant differences between the older, 17 and such, and the newer 18+ Heritage. I know the obvious, engine, bags, frame changes, but how do those changes affect real world riding and handling. I have a 2013 Softail Fatboy with the 103B engine, have had 2 FLHTK/L touring with 103A engines. I lowered the Fatboy with the HD kit, only a stage 1, made certain ergonomic changes for my riding comfort. Mustang seat with back rest, engine guard with pegs, detachable windshield cut to desired height, handlebar risers. I'm not going to make anymore multi-day, multi-thousand mile trips like on the touring but I want to be able to take a couple days ride and carry something. Example I use a CPAP and need it for overnight trips.

Engine, the 103 has plenty of power and response. I'm sure the 107/114 has more oomph, but is is significant? Does the new mono shock have real improvements over the 2 shocks under the frame on the older design. Is ABS offered on pre-17? Not on the Fatboy and wish it was. Do the pre-17 have cruise control? Yes I'm spoiled but CC helps when you have arthritis in hands and wrists.

Appearances, I personally don't care for white wide sidewall tires but that's a small changeable thing. Older bags tend to suck being saggy but being saggy they may hold more than a rigid bag. The blackout wheels and such on the newer look nice but I question the durability of the finish on the HD parts.

The thought thing about getting as used bike is I am very picky and absolutely will not buy something that has a stage 2 or greater. Personalization of a bike is by definition a personal thing and my choices are unlikely to coincide with someone else's. I'm half deaf, (GF says it's more like 90%), and hate excessive noise from an exhaust. I do want to be able to hear the engine though.

I haven't ridden any newer ones yet. Just returned from a multi-month RV trip and now fighting a URI and bout of pneumonia which has me sort of confined. Hopefully soon I'll fix that.

If you need a CPAP - you will need a trunk on the new Heritage, the older model you may be able to fit it in the saddlebag - but it would be tight, so probably a trunk for the older heritage. The 107/114 have more Ooomph - yes, but not seat of the pants, gotta have it just for that type of power - The engine is nice but as you can read here it has serious growing pains in the touring models, softail line up not so much - however the softails have other issues, do a search & you will see!

personally I like chrome & do a lot of traveling on my Heritage that I just don't think I could do on the new model, the mono shock is a nice idea but there are issues, the seat is not comfy, the powdercoat is not durable, the saddlebags suck, the gauge of the tins is lighter & certain items are missing that most put on after buying it - passenger backrest for one.

all in all you can make the new heritage nice but I just think HD cheapened it cosmetically while giving a bigger engine with monoshock hype at a bigger price - and both of those items are questionable as if they are better. if you`re picky as you say...…. ride both - you will have to tweak whatever you get new or used & the garage queens are out there to be had. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Sleeko (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 06:32 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by LXT
If you need a CPAP - you will need a trunk on the new Heritage, the older model you may be able to fit it in the saddlebag - but it would be tight, so probably a trunk for the older heritage. The 107/114 have more Ooomph - yes, but not seat of the pants, gotta have it just for that type of power - The engine is nice but as you can read here it has serious growing pains in the touring models, softail line up not so much - however the softails have other issues, do a search & you will see!

personally I like chrome & do a lot of traveling on my Heritage that I just don't think I could do on the new model, the mono shock is a nice idea but there are issues, the seat is not comfy, the powdercoat is not durable, the saddlebags suck, the gauge of the tins is lighter & certain items are missing that most put on after buying it - passenger backrest for one.

all in all you can make the new heritage nice but I just think HD cheapened it cosmetically while giving a bigger engine with monoshock hype at a bigger price - and both of those items are questionable as if they are better. if you`re picky as you say...…. ride both - you will have to tweak whatever you get new or used & the garage queens are out there to be had. Good luck!
The black finish is one question I had. You said powder coat or is it paint? There are a variety of black finishes and black chrome is one. Done right, black chrome is great. Back in the 70s I was in Germany, courtesy of the Army, and went by the Porsche dealer. New 911S turbo, dark metallic green, with black chrome trim. Gorgeous. Couple years later back in the US and see that some US manufacturers are putting "black chrome trim". Typical to auto of that era the imitation black chrome was really just paint and poor paint at that. What is the durability and longevity of the Harley version of blackout engine and wheels? For the Heritage the product is too new to really know but is this the same process as has been used by HD on previous models? When you say the powder coat is not durable, have you seen examples of that? Is it soft, flaking, wearing, losing luster, or all of the above?

That unmolested 17 garage queen might be what's best. I'm going to assume that the 17 Heritage is probably similar to my 13 Fatboy, 103, in ride and response. I refer to the Fatboy as my "old farts sport bike". I did a mild stage 1 to it.

Reference the CPAP, I have 3 and they come apart for easier packing so I would imagine I could fit it any of the side or tour pack bags. The whole thing in the case fit snugly in the touring side bag but they are bigger than the Heritage bags.

Last edited by Chunker; 06-11-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:11 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 553 Likes on 341 Posts

The black finish is one question I had. You said powder coat or is it paint? There are a variety of black finishes and black chrome is one. Done right, black chrome is great. Back in the 70s I was in Germany, courtesy of the Army, and went by the Porsche dealer. New 911S turbo, dark metallic green, with black chrome trim. Gorgeous. Couple years later back in the US and see that some US manufacturers are putting "black chrome trim". Typical to auto of that era the imitation black chrome was really just paint and poor paint at that. What is the durability and longevity of the Harley version of blackout engine and wheels? For the Heritage the product is too new to really know but is this the same process as has been used by HD on previous models? When you say the powder coat is not durable, have you seen examples of that? Is it soft, flaking, wearing, losing luster, or all of the above?

That unmolested 17 garage queen might be what's best. I'm going to assume that the 17 Heritage is probably similar to my 13 Fatboy, 103, in ride and response. I refer to the Fatboy as my "old farts sport bike". I did a mild stage 1 to it.

Reference the CPAP, I have 3 and they come apart for easier packing so I would imagine I could fit it any of the side or tour pack bags. The whole thing in the case fit snugly in the touring side bag but they are bigger than the Heritage bags.
Ya know - im not sure if its "true" powder coat, my buddy has the rust colored Heritage with the blacked out look - its nice! I liked it when he got it & was really considering given the Heritage a 5th , 6th look - I thought maybe I mis judged it? we don't get a chance to ride together but every so often & last time he was showing me his fork lowers as well the primary & rocker covers - Im not sure how to classify it - "pitted' with what looks like finish wearing. and swirl marks.

he had a friend of ours who does body/paint work do some scratch repair & buffing on it & it looked great - but his complaint is that it was short lived & he doesn't feel like going through all that to preserve the finish - so he`s going chrome - at the time they didn't have much in chrome so im not sure how he has made out, I might see him this week end - Ill get an update if I do.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:58 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by LXT
Ya know - im not sure if its "true" powder coat, my buddy has the rust colored Heritage with the blacked out look - its nice! I liked it when he got it & was really considering given the Heritage a 5th , 6th look - I thought maybe I mis judged it? we don't get a chance to ride together but every so often & last time he was showing me his fork lowers as well the primary & rocker covers - Im not sure how to classify it - "pitted' with what looks like finish wearing. and swirl marks.

he had a friend of ours who does body/paint work do some scratch repair & buffing on it & it looked great - but his complaint is that it was short lived & he doesn't feel like going through all that to preserve the finish - so he`s going chrome - at the time they didn't have much in chrome so im not sure how he has made out, I might see him this week end - Ill get an update if I do.
I am strongly leaning towards finding that GQ, garage queen, 17 Heritage. I am familiar and satisfied with my 103 and it'll do anything I want with it. AND it's chrome not a suspect black finish. I've been doing a cycle trader search and quite a few with under 2K, some with a few hundred miles. Mostly rather stock which is good. If I'm going to paint a picture I want a blank canvas. So at this point I'll see how many of my parts will move over from the Fatboy to the Heritage. Bummer is the Mustang seat won't. I put daymaker on the FB and saved stock lights. In fact I saved most of the take-offs and can return the FB to mostly stock.

The following users liked this post:
CaptainKirk (06-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Heritage, older vs newer