Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Heritage Softail Starting Issue (Short Prime)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 05:23 AM
DustinM
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 Heritage Softail Starting Issue (Short Prime)

Started having an issue with my 2013 Heritage a few weeks ago. As the video shows, when I switch from Off to Run, there’s only a momentary prime. Then, there’s absolutely nothing when I hit Start. It has happened a few times over the last few months, but usually after I flip the switch a time or two, it goes back to normal. This time, no such luck. I will say, sometimes while riding, the red light on the speedometer will randomly come on for a few minutes and then disappears.

It does have a new battery, kept on a tender, and a new battery in the key fob for the security system. I’ve started taking the switch housing apart to see if anything appeared obvious, but haven’t seen anything obvious.

Also, notice the red light on the speedometer flashes very quickly when ignition switch is first turned to On.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Video:

Last edited by DustinM; 07-16-2019 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:30 AM
greybeard122
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Check for any codes first. The ecm turns on the fuel pump for initial prime on start up through the fuel pump relay. Could be the relay is going bad or a outside chance there's a problem with the ecm. Checck the simple things first. The red lite on the dash could be leaving some bcm codes. Check for any codes before replacing anything.

The following users liked this post:
DustinM (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 10:01 AM
DustinM
Novice

Originally Posted by greybeard122
Check for any codes first. The ecm turns on the fuel pump for initial prime on start up through the fuel pump relay. Could be the relay is going bad or a outside chance there's a problem with the ecm. Checck the simple things first. The red lite on the dash could be leaving some bcm codes. Check for any codes before replacing anything.
I’m on the road right now, but will check for codes when I get back home.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Old 07-20-2019, 08:04 AM
kculp
Cruiser

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, check codes. Common things to think about:
  1. Boot plug on the starter, this is the rubber cover like a spark plug that comes loose (live wire directly from battery).
  2. Starter Relay (fuse box). Inexpensive. Yours is newer bike...doubtful.
  3. Battery (bike), not FOB. Check voltage. Lose battery cables.
  4. Ground wire on the starter.
  5. Starter solenoid... doubtful because of newer bike.
  6. Some electric issue with security FOB.

Last edited by kculp; 07-20-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:27 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

There is no starter relay on this bike, the starter solenoid gets power from the BCM.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:46 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

That is a short prime compared to mine (2013 Heritage). How does it start? Do you have issues with the engine firing up?
Also the red light on the dash, are you talking about the security light? Mine would come on randomly until it stayed lit permanently. I fixed that by unplugging the speedo and plugging it back in, now it only comes on when it's suppose to.

Edit: reread your post, it doesn't start at all... no starter solenoid click?

Last edited by JustDave13; 07-20-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:45 AM
DustinM
Novice

Nope. It normally has a 2-3 second prime when I flip the kill switch to run. When it does this “short prime”, I know the starter won’t even click. The red light flashes when I turn the ignition switch on, I have never noticed it doing that until this issue started. In the past few months, I have seen the red light come on while out riding, but it would disappear after 20-30 minutes, and I would forget about it until a few rides later when it would happen again.

I just got back in the country, so I’ll be taking a look at this later on today and will post what I find.

Thanks again for taking the time!

Old 07-21-2019, 09:48 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinM
Nope. It normally has a 2-3 second prime when I flip the kill switch to run. When it does this “short prime”, I know the starter won’t even click. The red light flashes when I turn the ignition switch on, I have never noticed it doing that until this issue started. In the past few months, I have seen the red light come on while out riding, but it would disappear after 20-30 minutes, and I would forget about it until a few rides later when it would happen again.

I just got back in the country, so I’ll be taking a look at this later on today and will post what I find.

Thanks again for taking the time!
It could be the security system causing this. Have you replaced the fob battery? I replace mine every 2 years, just a thought.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:18 PM
DustinM
Novice

Yup, I always have a fresh supply of key fob batteries with me.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:22 PM
DustinM
Novice
Default Solved

Thought I’d post a quick update as it appears that my problem is solved. When I took the Run/Stop switch off, I noticed that there are two springs and two small metal pins behind the switch cover. Somehow, one of the metal pins had corroded to the point to where it actually had broken and crumbled. So, apparently when I was trying to push the switch to run, the switch cover wasn’t making good contact with the actual ignition switch itself.

So, I hope this helps and if this causes any more issues, I’ll pass them along.

Thanks again for the previous replies.

Last edited by DustinM; 09-03-2019 at 07:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JustDave13 (09-04-2019)

Quick Reply: 2013 Heritage Softail Starting Issue (Short Prime)