Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing fuel pump assy for efi tank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:20 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacing fuel pump assy for efi tank?

I was all set to order a new set of tins for my bike which is fuel injected when i got a rude awakenng.Apparently i would have to remove the efi fuel assy from my present tank to the new one if i got it.was told this is a major job/ pain in @#$% to do especially for a newly painted tank.I'm not savy so i'm probably not going to get the new tins due to what it would cost me to replace the old ones with the new tank and fenders.If it was carbed it wouldnt be a problem.Does this sound right?

Old 05-14-2008, 01:28 PM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Replacing fuel pump assy for efi tank?

It's been a couple of years since I did mine,but it wasn't that hard.You pull it out the opening on the top of the tank,under your dash.Just remove the plate and a couple of clamps and fish it out of there.
Never hurts to have an extra set of hands around when your working with newly painted tins.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:17 PM
rick
Road Warrior

Is it in one piece or multiple parts.If its only one piece i dont see the problem with just a few clamps.He had showed me a diagram momentarily and it looked like alot of different parts.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:03 PM
ajl10spro
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took mine out about two months ago. Taking it out requires a little patience and a solid pull after you get the fuel line undone....I just cut my fuel line and replaced it later. Overall it takes about an hour for the removal and installation process. You could likely get a mechanic to do it for you for less than a hundred bucks.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 PM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Check out all of my posts in this thread...
it's easy to remove.

https://www.hdforums.com/m.asp?m=223...page=1&key=

Old 05-14-2008, 10:18 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled mine out on a Standard I had. I had the tank repainted and then I dropped it off at the dealer to let them put it back in while I was at work. Cost me 45 dollars for that. They suggest that you replace the nylon screws that hold the gasket down with new ones.

I just let them do it cuz I wanted to get the tank on right after work and I didn't want to risk scratchin my new tank job.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:48 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: DR.Greenthumb

It's been a couple of years since I did mine,but it wasn't that hard.You pull it out the opening on the top of the tank,under your dash.Just remove the plate and a couple of clamps and fish it out of there.
Never hurts to have an extra set of hands around when your working with newly painted tins.
Hey dude, removing the fuel pump/sending unit os a LOT more involved than "just remove the plate and fish it out of there".

I recently swapped my bodywork to a different color, so I had to swap over all the internal fuel tank guts. In hindsight a major job for a first timer. The key is like another member commented BE PATIENT when removing the unit !!!!!!!!!! or you will bend the internal mount bracket. You need to first jocky the pump assembly up out of the tank enough to shine a flashlight into the tank, you will see a plastic "L" shaped arm.You use a long screwdriver to push down on the plastic pump bracket which rides on a pivot mechanismonce the pump arm is free and able to pivot, you can then lift the assemble further out to now gain access to the fuel lines and wiring.
Like I said it's a big job, and I won't do it again. I was quoted $80 by a HD dealer to swap over all the stuff for me, but I wanted to try it myself, a mistake on my part. I would have payed $100 for the saved aggravation...

Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 AM
rick
Road Warrior

My tech doesnt want to take the responsibilty in switching the tins due to the fuel pump change.I dont really blame him.If he messes up the paint its on him.I called HD dealer and was quoted 400.00 + 40 or so for some stuff they would have to change.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 AM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow what a bunch of girls.

Its really easy. Pull the cover, fish out the pump, disconnect the wires, disconnect fuel lines, unscrew "petcock" from tank.... i did it when removing tank the first time without knowing how to remove line from injectors.

It looks like alot of parts but it all comes out as one piece.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:22 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rick

My tech doesnt want to take the responsibilty in switching the tins due to the fuel pump change.I dont really blame him.If he messes up the paint its on him.I called HD dealer and was quoted 400.00 + 40 or so for some stuff they would have to change.
I taped the tank off around the opening and taped micro rags on the paint and all was okay and my dealer installed the pump no problem. Sounds like they don't need money that bad.

Matter of fact the tech that did it lifted the rag to see the Street Glide emblems I put on it and kept questioning me as to whether I really had a softail... he needed to know what kind of plastic screws and gasket to get. I had to assure him it as off a Softail Standard.

Change the tins yourself... just have them install the pump and innards.

Quick Reply: Replacing fuel pump assy for efi tank?