Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII went bad 08 FXSTC!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:37 PM
starbiker99
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PCIII went bad 08 FXSTC!

On my way home from work today my bike died at a stoplight. The traffic was stop and go but the temp was only near 80 its has been a lot hotter. The bike did however start back up and I was able to make it home (about 9 miles). I let the bike sit for an hour and then it would not start at all. I disconnected the PCIII and the bike runs fine. I got a guy from dynojet on the line and he determined the PCIII was def so my question is should I go get a download from HD for any riding before I get the PCIII back? Maybe 200-400 miles this weekend and next week. My only mods are a Ness big sucker and VH BSS. BTW the PCIII has 4k miles on it. My thoughts are to get the download just in case I am out on the road and this happens again that way I don't need to worry about burning the bike up. Any other thoughts or ideas? Thanks

Old 08-30-2008, 06:48 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I don't think that its a matter of "gettting a download from HD"; if I'm not mistaken you'll need a SERT (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner) in order for HD to map the ECM. They sell for about $400. You've already isolated the problem by disconnecting the PCIII; thus imo I would just run the bike until you get a replacement. Keep an eye on your engine temp though. Also, you could put your stock intake back on just to be safe.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:07 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Been a rash of pcIII failures posted lately.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Sarge4life
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the dealership do a "download" it will cost you. Then before you can reinstall your PCIII you'll have to take it back to the dealership to have them remove the "download" and return it to stock. The PCIII will only work correctly if your ECM is in the OEM state.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:08 AM
starbiker99
Tourer

My dealer was going to charge me $159 for a download and then I thought about the PCIII not working when I got it back. So I just put the stock air cleaner back on as I most likely will only be putting a couple hundred miles on this week.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:06 PM
jcoers
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. My PCIII died, then the replacement died within 10 miles after the install. I bought some XIEDs and I will never go back. The PCIII is under warranty and as soon as I feel like dealing with them, I will call and get a replacement to sell on e-bay.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:38 PM
starbiker99
Tourer

With the XIED's do you need to still have your O2 sensors installed? I removed mine when I did my PCIII and messed one of them up. I need to read up on them a little more.

Edit: Just read the website and found my own answer.

So you like the XIED better than the PCIII I may just get a new O2 sensor and get the XIED's and sell my replacement PCIII when I get it.

Last edited by starbiker99; 08-30-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:11 PM
mjmangus
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sarge4life
If you have the dealership do a "download" it will cost you. Then before you can reinstall your PCIII you'll have to take it back to the dealership to have them remove the "download" and return it to stock. The PCIII will only work correctly if your ECM is in the OEM state.
Not exactly true. The PCIII doesn't care what has been done to the ECM. You just have to make sure your PCIII is programmed to accomodate the new "burn". This can be downloaded from the factory web site.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:01 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

Exactly...the PCIII intercepts the signal from the ECM (regardless of what type of signal it is) and modifies it according to the map the PCIII has downloaded on it.
Originally Posted by mjmangus
Not exactly true. The PCIII doesn't care what has been done to the ECM. You just have to make sure your PCIII is programmed to accomodate the new "burn". This can be downloaded from the factory web site.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Tnicean
Tourer

My PCIII had about 20K miles and was a little over 2 years old when it malfunctioned in Cooke City, MT. It had been starting and running rich for a couple of days before but a couple of weeks ago in Cooke City, it was cold and the bike barely started and started blowing black smoke and idling very roughly. I barely make it over the Bear Tooth Highway. When I got to Billings, MT, I went to Beartooth HD and they took off the PC III and did the reflash on the ECM. I have the Ness Big Sucker and V&H BSS on my 2002 Heritage. I just got home from Milwaukee with more than 7K miles About 3 of which was with the re-flashed EMC. The bike seemed to run ok and the motor ran cool with the reflash (except for going into Miller Field for the 25th Hog party). We were in stop and go traffic for I would guess about 40 - 45 minutes. My motor went into the running on one cylinder mode. My tank oil temp guage read 275 degrees when I finally got parked. I am sure the motor was hotter than that. Anyway, I am probably just going to run my bike with just the reflash for now. I have no warranty on the PCIII since it was more than two years old. I guess anything can break, but it sure ruined my ride up the Beartooth.
Tnicean

Quick Reply: PCIII went bad 08 FXSTC!