Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Removal: Pain in the A$$!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:02 AM
FACTION95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Removal: Pain in the A$$!!!

I went to remove my rear wheel the other night so I could replace the tire. Giving Harley $100 to do it just doesn't sit right with me. Anyway... what a pain in the *** it was. I had to remove the belt guards. Then I had to remove the exhaust, to remove the caliper, to remove the wheel! Is this what you have to do every time or is ther an easier way?

BTW, The Stealer wants $43 plus the cost of wheel weights to mount and balance the new tire on the wheel! Are you F'ing joking?

Old 12-12-2008, 11:13 AM
willyp
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

thats why they call it the stealership.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:15 AM
boosteddelslow
Tourer

If you had to do all that I think I would have just gave them 100 dollars.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:23 AM
hellfish
Tourer

Effort and trouble vs. money ...seems like a hundred well spent if you ask me. ...but that's me.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:56 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FACTION95
I went to remove my rear wheel the other night so I could replace the tire. Giving Harley $100 to do it just doesn't sit right with me. Anyway... what a pain in the *** it was. I had to remove the belt guards. Then I had to remove the exhaust, to remove the caliper, to remove the wheel! Is this what you have to do every time or is ther an easier way?

BTW, The Stealer wants $43 plus the cost of wheel weights to mount and balance the new tire on the wheel! Are you F'ing joking?
I don't run a lower belt guard but I can see that one coming off. The top belt guard should be fine left on. I see your running v&h staggards... unfortunately when I was running the BSLongs I had to just loosen the exhaust (should not have to remove it) for it to drop down in order to get the axle out. Really the hardest part is getting the rotor and caliper back together and on. You really need an extra set of hands to do it.

How did you handle the axle adjusters? I count threads and also put finger nail polish to mark where it needs to go.

I have taken my wheel out 2 or 3 times and it does get easier after the first time. Now with my true duals the axle isn't an issue anymore.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:26 PM
rcc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 3 flat rear tires in 3 months, I got pretty quick at changing them. Put your axle in backwards, the you won't have to remove you exhaust again. just can't get a torque wrench on the nut. Leave the adjusters alone, don't loosen them. You can put it back together without adjusting them. Use a floor jack under the tire to raise and lower it and it is a 1 man show. The caliper is a little touchy, not too bad.

Ron

Old 12-12-2008, 02:16 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First time it's a learning curve. It will go much better the next time.
Ron

Old 12-12-2008, 02:28 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They should just set up labor camps with all the laid off people to work on your bike for free!

Old 12-12-2008, 03:10 PM
sctusa
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FACTION95

Maybe that's why they charge you $100...

Old 12-12-2008, 03:15 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The biggest pain for me is getting the caliper back on without messing up the wheel. The rest is not too bad, of course my exhasut was never in the way of the axle and still isn't. I'm gonna hve to try a floor jack under the wheel as opposed to messing with the adjusters. Good idea.

Quick Reply: Wheel Removal: Pain in the A$$!!!