Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all tall Crossbones riders

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 05:32 AM
broziff
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calling all tall Crossbones riders

Has anyone tried moving / modifying the stock seat on thier xbones to sit back a little further. The ridge in the back of the seat is right were it hurts and I find myself sitting foward to avoid it however all it needs is 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch back or so. I thought about tack welding the front mount foward a little because the slot for the bolt holding it to the seat pan wont go any further. Will this afect the tension on the springs and could they be moved as well?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That might screw up the geometry of the whole seat(the spring mounts). Have you read the manual yet, because it tells you how to move the seat a little ways back.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Chief X
Former Sponsor

I'm 6'3" and my bike fits me exceptionally well. I've only put 200 miles on it, but I am very pleased with the seating/handlebar position. I'm not sure if the seat is back or forward but I plan on checking to see. I don't think there is much adjustment from what I read.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 AM
broziff
Tourer

Ive adjusted it to the manual in the most rearward position however just want to tweak it a little further back if possible. I also have a passeger pillon so there is only a half inch or so to play with but i think it will make a difference. Iam also 6'3" and one of the reasons I bought the bike was the riding position. Ive got 2400 miles on it so far and love the bike. I just think it could be a bit better. Ive read on the forum about someone who messed with it but cant find the old thread.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:37 PM
broziff
Tourer

I thinking if I had to move the spring mounts I could always just get one of those leather covers to cover the battery. But It may not be nessassary.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:53 PM
bmr
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'4" and spend about half the time sitting on the back ridge of the seat for the extra leg room. I would love to get another inch or two out of the riding position. Let us know if you come up with anything.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 6'3" and had the same issue of sitting on the back ridge of the stock seat...
I currently have a version of the Standard Leather Solo Seat that I bought on EBay...
the padding is thinner.. so it enables me to sit back that extra inch or so...
it is a replica of the original 1955 seat...

I would highly recommend it... it was only $80 + shipping...

CC

Old 12-16-2008, 10:48 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

How about forward foot controls instead? I´d loose the floorboards. I´ve been wanting to do that on my Fat Boy (I´m 6´3" and considering +3" forward foot controls...)

Mimo.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:38 PM
HaloFan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A seat change helps. I went w/ the leather tractor seat HD sells. It helped eliminate the sliding off the back feeling I had on the stock seat. I'm only 6'0". So it may not help you get exactly what you are looking for.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:46 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep your seeting position the same and move your floorboards forward. Cycle Visions makes a kit called the Go forward floorboard extnetions that will move your floorboards 2" forward. I have them on my bike, along with the HD extended rider boards, for a total of 4" further forward. http://www.cyclevisions.com/cv-acces...rd-extensions/

Quick Reply: Calling all tall Crossbones riders